Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rockery Gardens Damaged.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
When are the schools back?

Maybe a NSC vigilante squad to carry out evening patrols?

CCTV is probably the answer although a paint-ball sniper in the bushes sounds like a fair contest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What a damn shame after all the hard work put in to get the rockery looking picture perfect.

Must be a good chance of catching the over-privileged wankers on CCTV tho, I'd have thought. They'd have almost certainly started off sitting cross-legged on the cricket pitch being two-pot-screamers on joints and shit lager and leaving their litter strewn everywhere, before making their way down to the pedestrian crossing opposite the rockery. Would be very surprised if there wasn't something on CCTV at the point where they crossed the road from the park. Bit of luck some of them will be able to celebrate a criminal record along with their exam results :tosser:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Depressing reading about this.
Really nice part of Brighton and I have good memories of visiting when I was a kid, got some nice photos of my older kids there on a freezing day when they were little.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Political correctness, health & safety, and human rights acts have created the opportunity for scum to get away with murder. This would not have happened in Victorian times as the offenders would have been sent packing to Australia. Prisons aren't the deterrent they used to be and non custodial punishments have been watered down to become ineffective. Coppers can't give you a clip 'round the ear any more and the cane has gone from schools. These deterrents worked pretty well in my day. Some people can't be turned round by talking to them.

Political correctness, health & safety, and human rights acts have created the opportunity for scum to get away with murder. This would not have happened in Victorian times as the offenders would have been sent packing to Australia. Prisons aren't the deterrent they used to be and non custodial punishments have been watered down to become ineffective. Coppers can't give you a clip 'round the ear any more and the cane has gone from schools. These deterrents worked pretty well in my day. Some people can't be turned round by talking to them.

Firm but fair:moo:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
So where exactly are the police in all this if;

"The first section was broken on Thursday August 11, more damage was inflicted over the weekend and a final act of destruction carried out on Tuesday night."

Every other square ****ing inch of Brighton has a security camera. How about installing one sharpish where there's some ****ing crime happening?

What's the point. I saw a picture in The Argus of a man who was missing for 18m. Worried family picture and £10k Reward. I phoned the family and the police to advise that he had been abusing my niece and kicking at her rucksack, giving the time and date they could see it on the security cameras at the bottom of North Street. The family said he wouldn't behave like that and the police did nothing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is why we aren't allowed nice things anymore.

100 years ago were kids vandals like they are today? If not, then what's changed?

I have a horrible feeling they took pleasure at chucking stones at anything that moved. I seem to recall as a lad in the 60s, on any beach, kids would chuck stones at the gulls. The fact they no longer do so is, I suspect, the main reason why the buggers will snatch chips out of your mouth these days. Also when I was a lad, every spring, blubells and primroses would be pulled out of the ground by their roots by the newly mobile in their Morris Travellers. These days the woodlands are respected. And the litter - any verge in Sussex where it was possible to have a picnic there would be discarded shite. People would routinely chuck rubbish out of moving car windows.

No, although this is a very sad and annoying event, the trend is largely towards things being better.

ps did I mention dog shit? Don't start me on dog shit. Or dogs. I was bitten dozens of times by dogs roaming the streets of Portslade in the 60s. :annoyed::rant::censored:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
As garden manager in the Rockery, let me explain a bit more about the incidents over the past week or so.

Firstly, i've looked after the garden for over 16 years now. In that time, i don't think i've ever seen such systematic criminal damage as i have this week.

It all started last thursday, 11th August when a section of the bridge was smashed up and the pieces thrown liberally around the garden and in the pond. This was reported to the police on their non emergency number and a crime no obtained.

Then, on Sunday 14th, i came into work to conduct a guided walk of the garden to anyone who wanted to come along. On this occasion, a large number of mature herbaceous perennial plants were pulled up and thrown everywhere. There were limbs broken off trees and conifers and there was a huge amount of litter around the garden and in the pond. The garden looked like a scene from Beirut and for the first time ever, i was actually ashamed of putting my name to the garden. Reported to police blah blah

Monday 15th, i received an email from our office from a member of the public saying she had seen a large group of youths on the chalet roof trying to set fire to it. She took a photo of the smoke....shame she didn't phone 999!!!!!!

Tues 14th and the 3rd section of bridge was kicked in. Shingles were also removed from the chalet roof. 101 informed about bridge and attempted arson.

Every day, i'm coming to work and there's tons of litter strewn all over the grass and thrown in the pond. The police are aware of what's going on but what can they do unless they actually catch someone in the act of criminal damage?

If anyone sees anything that could resemble anti social behaviour or criminal damage, please give the OB a call on 101 or 999 if serious. The more it's flagged up to them, the more change we have of getting some police patrols.

In the meantime, thank you for bringing this up....it's pretty soul destroying to come in every morning and see that some low life scum has destroyed another small part of the garden.

Cheers, Andy
really sorry to hear that this has happened. It sickens me to think some people would do this.
I work for a security company. I was having a think about cctv on the chalet area. Is their local power at all. Maybe we could have a NSC fund raiser. I would be more than happy to install it if possible. Obviously depending on if the chalet is a graded building...
Hope you didn't mind me putting this thread on NSC. Could not think of a better place to communicate with a large amount of people.
I love the rockery and it should be cherished.
😀

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I'm sorry, I know it's old fashioned and not the way we do things now.l But we need more Bobbies on The Beat.
Especially patrolling areas that are known to be vulnerable to this kind of wanton vandalism.
There is no point in have the police sitting in a centrally heated office watching a hundred CCTV screens or in nice warm police cars watching the world go by and tutting.
We need a presence at the scene. Someone that would probably know the perpetrators by name and know the families they come from because they are on their beat.
Rant over...and Breathe.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
really sorry to hear that this has happened. It sickens me to think some people would do this.
I work for a security company. I was having a think about cctv on the chalet area. Is their local power at all. Maybe we could have a NSC fund raiser. I would be more than happy to install it if possible. Obviously depending on if the chalet is a graded building...
Hope you didn't mind me putting this thread on NSC. Could not think of a better place to communicate with a large amount of people.
I love the rockery and it should be cherished.
��
Yes, some sort of NSC response would be good. Not sure what, exactly, but maybe a security camera fund or something?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
CCTV is a real tricky subject. For a start, there's the "invasion of privacy" bit.....yeah i know but people will complain. We'd also have to think about where the cameras can go without them being vandalised. The cameras would have to be wireless for obvious reasons and how many cameras would you need in a 3 acre garden with lots of secluded areas.

I was talking to the police this week about how useful CCTV would really be and they said that unless the person committing the offence could be recognised ie didn't have a hoody on or wasn't known locally then it wasn't much good.

Brighton and Hove has several nice gardens including Kipling gardens and St Ann's well and the subject of security has got to be looked at. The problem is, a lot of the time, the damage caused is cheaper to repair then installing CCTV so the council will just leave things as they are.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I'm sorry, I know it's old fashioned and not the way we do things now.l But we need more Bobbies on The Beat.
Especially patrolling areas that are known to be vulnerable to this kind of wanton vandalism.

I agree mate but if there's a large group of youths sitting on the bank in the rockery for example and the OB have a walk though, what can they do if the youths aren't doing anything? The moment the OB leave the garden, the yobs can start.
Unless they are actually caught in the act or witnessed by the public and statements given etc, there's nothing you can do.

Maybe our resident officer Edna Krabapple could offer some advice?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
want to put a fire out,create a bigger fire next to it....i suggest we mob up and form our own gang for a week and take over the park...

Its not good though,symptom of little or no laws to deter this type of thing.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
These kids need to be taught a lesson and the police won't do that. They are too soft with them nowadays, a vigilanty group jumping out of the bushes would do the trick. No need to cause to much harm to the little scrotes but would scare the shit out of them. They wouldn't be to keen on coming back in a hurry.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
These kids need to be taught a lesson and the police won't do that. They are too soft with them nowadays, a vigilanty group jumping out of the bushes would do the trick. No need to cause to much harm to the little scrotes but would scare the shit out of them. They wouldn't be to keen on coming back in a hurry.

Then we could organise a party to visit you in jail

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree mate but if there's a large group of youths sitting on the bank in the rockery for example and the OB have a walk though, what can they do if the youths aren't doing anything? The moment the OB leave the garden, the yobs can start.
Unless they are actually caught in the act or witnessed by the public and statements given etc, there's nothing you can do.

Maybe our resident officer Edna Krabapple could offer some advice?

How are the repairs going?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here