Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What I understand is that RDZ must have been told of Tony’s future plans when he joined just over a year ago. Why the sudden questions as to the ambitions of the club?
If you take into account a Barber interview recently where he implies RDZ came to the board and questioned why they are not aiming higher. He obviously felt working with the players he had at the time that we could push for top four.
Then close season we did not hold on to several players or replace them, he is clearly frustrated by that, add to that the injuries.
He is frustrated and wants as a manger to test himself at the highest level.
Whilst I do not agree he should be airing his opinions about the board in press conferences, I understand it is him trying to force their hand, whilst screaming come and get me, I am done here at the same time.

He was always going to be a two season manager here, that was pretty clear.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
because he as I understand it, if you take into account a Barber interview recently where he implies RDZ came to the board and questioned why they are not aiming higher. He felt working with the players he had at the time we could push for top four, we did not hold on to several players or replace them, he is clearly frustrated by that, add to that the injuries, he is clearly frustrated and wants as a manger to test himself at the highest level.
Whilst I do not agree he should be airing his opinions about the board in press conferences, I understand it is him trying to force their hand, whilst screaming come and get me, I am done here at the same time.

Yup.

The first point is something I was trying to explain during the Potter years to frustrating ignorance. All we got back was 'long term plan', 'best coach available', 'don't you remember Hereford' whenever we went on a losing streak. Or people put ambition in the entitlement bucket. The two things are different. Entitlement is believing you SHOULD be better because you are a big club (see Chelsea, Man U, Dirty Leeds). Ambition is believing you CAN be better. RDZ believes we can be better but he is also ambitious for himself. If we're not matching that he'll go.

And two term is probably spot on too. Potter was the dull housewife who looked to be in a happy marriage until suddenly glowing up and moving in with a successful local estate agent out of the blue. RDZ is the tempestuous lover you never quite control. The sex is great but half the world think you're punching and the other half think you're with a bunny boiler. Those relationships always end up blowing up, and fairly quickly.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Yup.

The first point is something I was trying to explain during the Potter years to frustrating ignorance. All we got back was 'long term plan', 'best coach available', 'don't you remember Hereford' whenever we went on a losing streak. Or people put ambition in the entitlement bucket. The two things are different. Entitlement is believing you SHOULD be better because you are a big club (see Chelsea, Man U, Dirty Leeds). Ambition is believing you CAN be better. RDZ believes we can be better but he is also ambitious for himself. If we're not matching that he'll go.

And two term is probably spot on too. Potter was the dull housewife who looked to be in a happy marriage until suddenly glowing up and moving in with a successful local estate agent out of the blue. RDZ is the tempestuous lover you never quite control. The sex is great but half the world think you're punching and the other half think you're with a bunny boiler. Those relationships always end up blowing up, and fairly quickly.

Wrong, patience is a virtue, which you clearly lacked whilst thinking those who had it were ignorant, and Potter with TB’s help built the foundations that RDZ was extremely fortunate to walk into when Potter ran. I am bored with your re writing of Potter history whilst bigging up what RDZ has done, which would not have happened without Potter…but carry on with your anti Potter agenda. BOTH have been brilliant for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The average span of a PL manager is two years and four days. Most get sacked, some move on. :shrug: Did anyone expect any different?

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
I think that Chris Sutton and chums have taken a perfectly reasonable view of what RDZ said in his pre-match Liverpool press conference (someone on here mentioned you hadn't watched it, so maybe you wish to give it a view).

Anyway, he was asked specifically by a journalist "..can you guarantee that you will be here next season?"

RDZ replied "..first of all I want to speak with my club...I have not decided yet what is my future....anyway, I want to speak with Tony, with..my club...to understand their plan, then we take the decision together."

I think the "Sutton and chums" view is perfectly reasonable, based on that. :shrug:
Looks like those of us who watch these conferences and interviews with the tired Italian bloke and his eternal moaning about lack of investment players we dont have and our club philosophy are seeing a different side than those who´ll die on the Roberto is a rock star genius hill

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Looks like those of us who watch these conferences and interviews with the tired Italian bloke and his eternal moaning about lack of investment players we dont have and our club philosophy are seeing a different side than those who´ll die on the Roberto is a rock star genius hill
The BEAUTY of NSC, it’s not that different now, after the long long RDZ honeymoon, to the binfests when Potter was managing, long may it continue, how boring would it be if we all saw things the same way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Except he's not doing that. It would be easy enough to assume that though if English was your second language as both RDZ and his listener would lose some nuance in translation.

You spend a lot of time analysing press conferences for someone who doesn't like RDZ and a lot of time on NSC for someone who's a 'workaholic'. Haven't you got a game to be coding?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wrong, patience is a virtue, which you clearly lacked whilst thinking those who had it were ignorant, and Potter with TB’s help built the foundations that RDZ was extremely fortunate to walk into when Potter ran. I am bored with your re writing of Potter history whilst bigging up what RDZ has done, which would not have happened without Potter…but carry on with your anti Potter agenda. BOTH have been brilliant for us.
I didn't get any sense of that in what @Guinness Boy wrote. He neither denigrated Potter not 'bigged up' RDZ.

I don't entirely agree with GB's narrative, mind.

Regarding Potter, man does good job, man gets big job offer. Man takes big job.
Regarding RDZ, man does good job, man apparently prepared to quit his job because he does not think the company will upgrade his hardware.

I say 'apparently' because he hasn't left yet.

The one thing that does annoy me a bit is people slagging off our past and/or present manager, and people (often the same people) sneering at the people who they lable as 'fan-boys' (i.e., slavishly uncritical) of either our previous or present manager.

We have a manager. We will inevitably have another manager at some later point. There is f*** all we can do about it it. Unless we want Bloom out, it is simply what it is.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I didn't get any sense of that in what @Guinness Boy wrote. He neither denigrated Potter not 'bigged up' RDZ.

I don't entirely agree with GB's narrative, mind.

Regarding Potter, man does good job, man gets big job offer. Man takes big job.
Regarding RDZ, man does good job, man apparently prepared to quit his job because he does not think the company will upgrade his hardware.

I say 'apparently' because he hasn't left yet.

The one thing that does annoy me a bit is people slagging off our past and/or present manager, and people (often the same people) sneering at the people who they lable as 'fan-boys' (i.e., slavishly uncritical) of either our previous or present manager.

We have a manager. We will inevitably have another manager at some later point. There is f*** all we can do about it it. Unless we want Bloom out, it is simply what it is.

Indulge me if you can be arsed, I don’t recall a single positive post by GB about Potter, just criticism, where can I find one? I will, of course, doff my hat and apologise if I am wrong. I often am.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Except he's not doing that. It would be easy enough to assume that though if English was your second language as both RDZ and his listener would lose some nuance in translation.

You spend a lot of time analysing press conferences for someone who doesn't like RDZ and a lot of time on NSC for someone who's a 'workaholic'. Haven't you got a game to be coding?
He is doing that. As for my time I have lunch break but also a job unlike someone with 30k posts

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
What I understand is that RDZ must have been told of Tony’s future plans when he joined just over a year ago. Why the sudden questions as to the ambitions of the club?
Maybe Tony said "if you do very well in the first year... we'll push on further". No idea

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thousands of fans aren't on either hill. Exaggeration does you no favours.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indulge me if you can be arsed, I don’t recall a single positive post by GB about Potter, just criticism, where can I find one? I will, of course, doff my hat and apologise if I am wrong. I often am.
There is a search facility on Nsc.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I might be alone, but I find the whole subject of managers and their contracts really weird. Or, more accurately, one of the MORE weird things about football. In very few – or maybe no – other industry would the general public be debating over whether someone should commit to longer at their current employer, question their loyalty or have a go at them for voicing their aspirations.

On the other side, I don't really get the fascination with 'man has one eye on a job promotion' is even a story in the first place, but that's the line a lot of reporters seem to want to go down (not just with RDZ, but with others, too). To be fair, it gets LOADS of coverage, because RDZ has, so far, been a SHOE-IN for jobs at Liverpool, Spuds, Chelsea, Munich, Leverkusen, Manchester United and probably one or two others!

Let's face it, he's going to fack off at some point sooner or later (like Potter did) and the club will continue after him (like post-Potter), so (like when Potter left) I couldn't really care – especially not when it's totally and utterly out of my control. He'll leave the club in a better place than when he left (like Potter) and good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
He is doing that. As for my time I have lunch break but also a job unlike someone with 30k posts
I have 33k posts in 21 years, let's call that 7670 days. Around 4.41 posts a day.

You have 146 in 17 days at 8.56.

You're heading for prolific!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If you take into account a Barber interview recently where he implies RDZ came to the board and questioned why they are not aiming higher. He obviously felt working with the players he had at the time that we could push for top four.
Then close season we did not hold on to several players or replace them, he is clearly frustrated by that, add to that the injuries.
He is frustrated and wants as a manger to test himself at the highest level.

He has not gone yet FFS. And I don't really think he's screamed "come and get me" to anyone. If anything he keeps telling everyone he's under contract.

We've become very fatalistic over the past two months as a fanbase.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here