Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Bloom probably hadn't told RDZ how much money he was prepared to spend in the summer. Judging by the reports of his latest presser which, (for those who are not keeping up) was free of veiled threats, Bloom has now told him.

And what we do not want, now, is months of speculation in the media about who 'cash-rich' Brighton will bid for in the summer.

And we do not want RDZ saying 'I had a chat with the owner and he has assured me we will spend, spend, spend (like Viv Nichols) during the summer, so I'm IN'.
Viv Nicholls, Christ you are really ageing yourself there :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Perhaps we'll never know but RDZ is supposedly one of the lowest paid managers in the EPL, I wonder what the increase is being offered. Just to make him in line with the average it would be an increase of threefold his current contract, if the figures are anywhere near correct.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Fabrizio Romano has now poked his nose in.......plus he has all the details of RDZ contract.....Not something BHA would release.

A classic Fab post, putting out ‘insider knowledge’ that’s just about vague enough that nobody could fact check or dispute it but makes it look like he’s in contact people at Liverpool, Bayern, Brighton, and RDZ.

Of course Bayern will be having internal conversations about a future manager, and of course RDZ at some point will want to discuss future plans with the Brighton board. All incredibly obviously stuff, but the internet drones lap it up as if he’s some all knowing genius.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I still think that excluding the truly incompetent and the tiny (like, really tiny) number of transformational exceptions, a manager makes little to no difference on their own.
I'm not saying anybody could do it, but that given the same set of players and conditions most premier league managers will achieve similar results (albeit they might fall out with / get the best out of different players in the squad).
Oddly Maureen fits both those categories. :lolol:

I think the key bit of your post is 'on their own'.

Yes, you need a full team - owner, CEO, physio coaching team, decent players and a fair wind.

With all that, a good manager may achieve what bad one never will, and on average will do better than the bad manager.

Personally I would rather have a good manager at Brighton.

I suspect (but cannot know) that RDZ and Potter are better than CH, and that RDZ is better than Potter, but by how much I have no idea.

And whether RDZ or someone else takes the team is a matter for the owner. I simply can't be arsed to work up a head of steam in a campaign to have RDZ stay or be sacked.

It remains what it has remained.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
A classic Fab post, putting out ‘insider knowledge’ that’s just about vague enough that nobody could fact check or dispute it but makes it look like he’s in contact people at Liverpool, Bayern, Brighton, and RDZ.

Of course Bayern will be having internal conversations about a future manager, and of course RDZ at some point will want to discuss future plans with the Brighton board. All incredibly obviously stuff, but the internet drones lap it up as if he’s some all knowing genius.
He is manoeuvring towards the inevitable RDZ to Chelsea exclusive

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I still think that excluding the truly incompetent and the tiny (like, really tiny) number of transformational exceptions, a manager makes little to no difference on their own.
I'm not saying anybody could do it, but that given the same set of players and conditions most premier league managers will achieve similar results (albeit they might fall out with / get the best out of different players in the squad).
Maybe, but the way Moyes and Dyche get results is less interesting to watch.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Oddly Maureen fits both those categories. :lolol:

I think the key bit of your pots is 'on their own'.

Yes, you need a full team - owner, CEO, physio coaching team, decent players and a fair wind.

With all that, a good manager may achieve what bad one never will, and on average will do better than the bad manager.

Personally I would rather have a good manager at Brighton.

I suspect (but cannot know) that RDZ and Potter are better than CH, and that RDZ is better than Potter, but by how much I have no idea.

And whether RDZ or someone else takes the team is a matter for the owner. I simply can't be arsed to work up a head of steam in a campaign to have RDZ stay or be sacked.

It remains what it has remained.
That is indeed, the key bit of the post.
I don't like writing about this sort of thing, because it's easy to find myself using words like "synergy" and "wholistic" and coming across like a complete wanker.

I'm not suggesting that anybody could do the job at any time anywhere. But how people fit together in the club and with the squad is more important than their individual "quality".

Which does mean that when you have people and the order they work in does matter.

Hughton, Potter, then De Zerbi works. There's a nice clear progression.

Potter, Hughton, De Zerbi wouldn't, that would leave you with a mess and no clear way of playing or structure and a squad that's all over the place.

Ironically Potter would be an ideal sort person to follow De Zerbi (positive way of playing but maybe tempering some of the extremes, calmer off the field) IF he hadn't already been here only a couple of years ago. As it is it would be a terrible idea, I can't imagine the thought process that would make anybody think otherwise other than a complete lack of imagination or deliberately winding people up.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Bloom probably hadn't told RDZ how much money he was prepared to spend in the summer. Judging by the reports of his latest presser which, (for those who are not keeping up) was free of veiled threats, Bloom has now told him.

And what we do not want, now, is months of speculation in the media about who 'cash-rich' Brighton will bid for in the summer.

And we do not want RDZ saying 'I had a chat with the owner and he has assured me we will spend, spend, spend (like Viv Nichols) during the summer, so I'm IN'.
Profits of £123m might make that an inevitability.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Profits of £123m might make that an inevitability.
Possibly, but doesn’t that level of profit justify the club’s business model? A few duff and expensive signings could harm profits for the next 5? years

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Possibly, but doesn’t that level of profit justify the club’s business model? A few duff and expensive signings could harm profits for the next 5? years
Agree! It is not the fee we pay for a player, which is what hit the headlines, it is the wages we pay them that will do the damage long term.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Maybe they can sell decent food at a fair price now

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
C’moonnnn… what’s in the baaaaahx
That was sound-grabbed for a track by Velvet Acid Christ. Not the sort of information you usually get on a football manager thread ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here