Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi: "Now we don't have high motivation"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Roberto knew what he signed up to…..
Did he? We've often been told we would make one big sale a year. Perhaps he wasn't expecting to lose so many experienced hands from one season to the next. Perhaps this was as much, as @Withdean11 says, a way of making a point to that effect. 'We can do this if you make one sale a year, but if you lose Sanchez, Colwill, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard, then have season ending injuries for March, Mitoma, and don't bend a little on the philosophy and buy some experience to support the development of those younger/inexperienced players, this is what happens'

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Yes, but our form is L,D,L,D,L,L that is relegation form, admittedly we maybe safe and heads have dropped, what I am concerned about is, we carry this negativity into the start of next season, who is to say injuries persist etc, etc, it maybe alarmist, but a distinct possibility.
I would wager that 6 wins from 28 games is relegation form, so our last 6 games being relegation form, shouldn't really come as a surprise.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Can the team at least be motivated to play for the badge and the fans? I’m struggling to see that happening. Honestly, it is less about the result and more about the effort put into each performance, whether it matters or not.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Surely RDZ's job is to motivate the players. Every place in the EPL is worth around £3mil and therefore if the club could lose millions by RDZ not being 'motivtated! Maybe TB shouldn't be motivated to pay the egotistical Italien!
Is it really fair on the fans who pay good money and travel up and down the country to be told the players can't get motivated!
Time for De Zerbi to spend some time in his garden!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This was the first sign all was not well after the defeat against Fulham way back in March, I noted this interview and started to worry, if the wheels were coming off. He looked deflated and I suspect there was a meltdown in the dressing room.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Did he? We've often been told we would make one big sale a year. Perhaps he wasn't expecting to lose so many experienced hands from one season to the next. Perhaps this was as much, as @Withdean11 says, a way of making a point to that effect. 'We can do this if you make one sale a year, but if you lose Sanchez, Colwill, Mac Allister, Caicedo, Trossard, then have season ending injuries for March, Mitoma, and don't bend a little on the philosophy and buy some experience to support the development of those younger/inexperienced players, this is what happens'
He fell out of with Sanchez (who wasn’t playing anyway) and Trossard. Mac Allister we agreed to go with a new deal - granted. Caicedo was unfortunate but no one is keeping a playing with £100M on the table

He recommended and was given Dahoud & Fati, both he’s binned off already

And I make the point so many players have gone backwards this season under RDZ. Adingra had a much better season (Europa league included) at USG than he has with us all season. Mitoma looked nowhere near as effective before we played him with a back injury against Sheffield Utd which then ended his season etc etc

I’m staggered people think this is the absolute best that can be got out of this squad

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Surely RDZ's job is to motivate the players. Every place in the EPL is worth around £3mil and therefore if the club could lose millions by RDZ not being 'motivtated! Maybe TB shouldn't be motivated to pay the egotistical Italien!
Is it really fair on the fans who pay good money and travel up and down the country to be told the players can't get motivated!
Time for De Zerbi to spend some time in his garden!
I see what you mean (and understand why you would think this) but how far fans travel or spend to support Brighton doesn’t makes some fans more deserving of a higher standard of football than others. All fans ‘deserve’ the same level of performance from our Club regardless of how many matches they pay to see or how many miles they travel to see us play - There is no ‘elite’ or ‘entitlement’ here.

That said, I don’t know how anyone could watch De Zerbi on the touchline every single match, shouting, encouraging, raging, celebrating, hugging, air fisting and not see how vested he is personally in motivating his squad to play better football but he is not their shrink or mother - the players have to dig deep within themselves too to find that strength to overcome whatever mental battles or emotional fatigue they are struggling with.

I also don‘t know either how many more interviews I can sit through from PB until I am bored with listening to how much Roberto is constantly pushing everyone at the Club to be better, to reach higher, to be ‘perfect’, buy more players. If anything, maybe RDZs motivational skills have been too full on - I’m inclined to think he has been trying too hard to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear since last September but I don’t think it is fair though to lay the entire season’s ails and travails all at his feet. He certainly isn’t responsible for deepening the squad and buying players and he certainly isn't responsible for all the injuries or having to scrape together a first 11 from a bunch of kids and oldies for much of the season.

Last edited:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I see what you mean (and understand why you would think this) but how far fans travel or spend to support Brighton doesn’t makes some fans more deserving of a higher standard of football than others. All fans ‘deserve’ the same level of performance from our Club regardless of how many matches they pay to see or how many miles they travel to see us play - There is no ‘elite’ or ‘entitlement’ here.

That said, I don’t know how anyone could watch De Zerbi on the touchline every single match, shouting, encouraging, raging, celebrating, hugging, air fisting and not see how vested he is personally in motivating his squad to play better football but he is not their shrink or mother - the players have to dig deep within themselves too to find that strength to overcome whatever mental battles or emotional fatigue they are struggling with.

I also don‘t know either how many more interviews I can sit through from PB until I am bored with listening to how much Roberto is constantly pushing everyone at the Club to be better, to reach higher, to be ‘perfect’, buy more players. If anything, maybe RDZs motivational skills have been too full on - I’m inclined to think he has been trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear since last September but I don’t think it is fair though to lay the entire season’s ails and travails all at his feet. He certainly isn’t responsible for deepening the squad and buying players and he certainly isn't responsible for all the injuries or having to scrape together a first 11 from a bunch of kids and oldies for much of the season.
Absolutely don't agree with any of this except, no one fan is more derserving than any other which of course i agree with and this was not my point nor should it be read that way.

I find your constant patronising of others and your long winded diatribe a little strange. Anyone can see that RDZ's demeanor has changed since January and the results have followed this. I am don't expect us to win every game and have been around long enough to know that the past few years have been and is our time in the sun BUT I also don't believe that anyone is bigger than the club and he is making it clear he no longer wants to be here.

I have to say, you do remind me of a certain 'fake' Swede that was Potter's fan boy that seemed to leave NSC at the same time that you appeared as De Zerbi's equivalent ................

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If the players are not motivated that falls on one person only and it aint Bloom or the fans.
Shouldn't a highly paid player, given a chance to play premier league doing for many people's dream job be able to motivate themselves?

Is what most people on this board have said for years about other team's players

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Oh if Premier League football is as easy as life as it appears Premier League players are robots, they must adhere to a stereotype dictated by fans and running a football club and recruitment is as easy as popping into a sweet shop and saying "I'll have that one"......

Mistakes are always going to be made, it doesn't matter who you are, the key is realising you've made one, learning from it and moving on. Whether that is mistakes by the board, the manager, the players, it really doesn't matter. Fans see things for 90mins a week and the occasional sound byte from the club, inside training etc.. but that still doesn't give everyone a full insight into what is going on in multiple people's heads.

Something is wrong - accept it and let the club deal with it.........

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Absolutely don't agree with any of this except, no one fan is more derserving than any other which of course i agree with and this was not my point nor should it be read that way.

I find your constant patronising of others and your long winded diatribe a little strange. Anyone can see that RDZ's demeanor has changed since January and the results have followed this. I am don't expect us to win every game and have been around long enough to know that the past few years have been and is our time in the sun BUT I also don't believe that anyone is bigger than the club and he is making it clear he no longer wants to be here.

I have to say, you do remind me of a certain 'fake' Swede that was Potter's fan boy that seemed to leave NSC at the same time that you appeared as De Zerbi's equivalent ................
Stuck him on Ignore last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, but our form is L,D,L,D,L,L that is relegation form, admittedly we maybe safe and heads have dropped, what I am concerned about is, we carry this negativity into the start of next season, who is to say injuries persist etc, etc, it maybe alarmist, but a distinct possibility.
But there is enough in the bank to warrant some trust on our part?

Or is it all take and no give?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Honestly think too much is being made of all of this.

We've lost motivation because Europe is out of sight (and has been for a while if we're honest). Except last season, we as a club peter out consistently as soon as we're safe or promoted.

RDZ's style relies on trusting the players. But when those players aren't of the highest quality it all falls apart. It's a big fault of his to not adapt to situations in pursuit of some sort of footballing nirvana. It's also exactly what got us into Europe. I have faith in him and 100% want him to stay.

I cannot believe so many are willing to say they want him out I really can't.

Next season, I think he'll stay and given the amount of lessons we've all be forced to learn I think we'll be more adaptive, make better signings and hopefully not run the players into the ground like we've done this year.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I didn’t watch the game today but can someone explain why he brought on Veltman and Webster when we were two down?

Neither Offiah or Igor were on a yellow, were they both injured, did we change shape and see a positive as a result

On paper seems a strange move to make when you’ve got attackers on the bench.

Does he want to be sacked?
Offiah was really struggling physically (after a bright first half), and Igor was just irredeemably, embarrassingly SHIT.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I feel sad about this.
Worst is I thought his comments about the players getting sick of him after two seasons when he joined was self effacing charm.
He did warn us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Shouldn't a highly paid player, given a chance to play premier league doing for many people's dream job be able to motivate themselves?

Is what most people on this board have said for years about other team's players
Yep - would also put my tin hat on and point a finger at the skipper and one or two other senior players in particular if motivation is that much of an issue. It was Gilmour yesterday that was doing most of the shouting and gesticulating.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've not read beyond the first page of this thread, because its too depressingly. I'm sure plenty of people have said the same, so apologies for repeating - but I wish he'd announced in his pre-match presser that there was zero motivation, and I'd have done something else with my time and money, yesterday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here