Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
The more I read about RDZ the more I think we've got ourselves the ideal coach to continue GP's good work and develop the team. But to play devil's advocate, and im not saying I am, but should we be worried about this idea of his team's conceding lots of goals? Even Tony mentions high scoring games in todays video. He does also talk about RDZ adapting to the Prem, maybe this aspect is part of the adaptation. Having a leaky defence and hoping to outscore your opposition seems dangerous. Or is it a myth, and as his formations dont jump out as particularly gung ho in throwing defenders forward. Someone allay these potential fears...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The more I read about RDZ the more I think we've got ourselves the ideal coach to continue GP's good work and develop the team. But to play devil's advocate, and im not saying I am, but should we be worried about this idea of his team's conceding lots of goals? Even Tony mentions high scoring games in todays video. He does also talk about RDZ adapting to the Prem, maybe this aspect is part of the adaptation. Having a leaky defence and hoping to outscore your opposition seems dangerous. Or is it a myth, and as his formations dont jump out as particularly gung ho in throwing defenders forward. Someone allay these potential fears...

No need to panic…it’ll be an evolution, building on what we have. Won’t be any overnight change of approach.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

Exactly the same as what potter said though isnt it? He said he would rather lose 4-3 than a low scoring draw (cant remember the exact numbers he used). He played attacking football in a league which is very defence minded I dont think he will go crazy.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The strength and quality of the defence speaks for itself, though. It's not as if they are going to forget everything they've worked towards and play a different way.

Maybe, in previous teams, RDZ didn't have defenders like ours, which was why they conceded more goals? I honestly don't know - maybe it's a bit of wishful thinking [emoji28]

RowZ

Sep 12, 2022

This is risk - especially when Italy doesn't play with the same intensity or physicality.....the fun side of this will be Zerbi going nuts on the touchline demanding a free kick for things the Premier League sees as normal.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Exactly the same as what potter said though isnt it? He said he would rather lose 4-3 than a low scoring draw (cant remember the exact numbers he used). He played attacking football in a league which is very defence minded I dont think he will go crazy.
I don't remember him saying that. I remember Hyppia saying that though.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

At his last two clubs, Shaktar and Sassuolo, they have conceded goals at about the same rate as they did before he got there, but they have scored more.
At Foggia they scored more than anyone else, had the best goal difference in their league for the 2 seasons, goals conceded was about 5th lowest.
The only place it really stands out is at Benevento, where the newly promoted team finished absolute bottom in Serie A having conceded 84 goals, Genoa and Sassuolo finished 11th and 12th with the the same or less goals scored though, but on the back of the job he did there he got the Sassuolo job back in Seria A the next season.
I think the reputation comes from that season at Benevento and the general difference that he is more interested in improving the teams goal threat, than shoring up the defence, whereas most managers, especially in Italy, would start with making the defence solid.
The only slight concern I have is that we were already quite decent at making chances to score, just not so good at the actual scoring bit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At his last two clubs, Shaktar and Sassuolo, they have conceded goals at about the same rate as they did before he got there, but they have scored more.
At Foggia they scored more than anyone else, had the best goal difference in their league for the 2 seasons, goals conceded was about 5th lowest.
The only place it really stands out is at Benevento, where the newly promoted team finished absolute bottom in Serie A having conceded 84 goals, Genoa and Sassuolo finished 11th and 12th with the the same or less goals scored though, but on the back of the job he did there he got the Sassuolo job back in Seria A the next season.
I think the reputation comes from that season at Benevento and the general difference that he is more interested in improving the teams goal threat, than shoring up the defence, whereas most managers, especially in Italy, would start with making the defence solid.
The only slight concern I have is that we were already quite decent at making chances to score, just not so good at the actual scoring bit.

Agree with you, Iin his final Serie A season with Sassuolo they had the 7th best GD in the division. 11 sides conceded the same or more goals than they did. Kept 8 clean sheets.

They were also good at getting the wins against the lower teams. Against the 3 relegated teams they dropped just 2 points out of 18. Also picked up notable wins away to Milan, Sampdoria, Napoli.

Seems to be a bit of a narrative that it's a crazy no defending strategy, but the statistics at least paint a different picture.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
No need to panic…it’ll be an evolution, building on what we have. Won’t be any overnight change of approach.

Agree with you, Iin his final Serie A season with Sassuolo they had the 7th best GD in the division. 11 sides conceded the same or more goals than they did. Kept 8 clean sheets.

They were also good at getting the wins against the lower teams. Against the 3 relegated teams they dropped just 2 points out of 18. Also picked up notable wins away to Milan, Sampdoria, Napoli.

Seems to be a bit of a narrative that it's a crazy no defending strategy, but the statistics at least paint a different picture.

Potentially its just an image of him thats been created within the Italian media, and is filtering over here, because he's tried to break away from the more common trait of Italian managers/teams that have a heavy focus on 4-4-2 style solid defending, and RDZ's way of playing the game is more in line with the Premier League with fluid formations and attacking football.

The Albion Analytics article on the club website (https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2798274/albion-analytics-roberto-de-zerbi/) gives some stats from his previous clubs and mentions that in 30 games with Shaktar they kept 13 clean sheets, and in 120 games for Sassuolo they kept 28 clean sheets. So that's roughly 1 clean sheet in every 4 games as Sassuolo. Not bad at all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Potentially its just an image of him thats been created within the Italian media, and is filtering over here, because he's tried to break away from the more common trait of Italian managers/teams that have a heavy focus on 4-4-2 style solid defending, and RDZ's way of playing the game is more in line with the Premier League with fluid formations and attacking football.

The Albion Analytics article on the club website (https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2798274/albion-analytics-roberto-de-zerbi/) gives some stats from his previous clubs and mentions that in 30 games with Shaktar they kept 13 clean sheets, and in 120 games for Sassuolo they kept 28 clean sheets. So that's roughly 1 clean sheet in every 4 games as Sassuolo. Not bad at all.

Maybe we could start that "DE-FENCE" chant that they have in the US at our games, just so he knows how we roll here :jester:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Barely legal to play 4-4-2 in Italy but it is true that historically, solid defending has been the main objective of most Italian coaches, though there's been a rapid change in that area (Serie A is nowadays more attack minded than PL and La Liga).

Agree that the myth of De Zerbis teams conceding an awful lot of goal is very overstated.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
5 working days. Exactly what the Government website states.

Excellent news!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Looks as though we are still in the market for a goalkeeping coach though as none of the coaches appointed with RDZ have that background and Jack Stern is still assistant goalkeeping coach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here