Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I watched this video earlier - it's a good summary of how RdZ sets up his teams. We've seen this kind of thing before -

The obvious question was "how do you stop RdZ?" - and the analyst replied: "My next video is on Newcastle, and watching their game against Brighton was quite eye opening.. Brighton looked completely lost, newcastle were able to completely block off any central passes and would constantly force a long ball or out wide into the fullback. I think it didn't help Brighton they were missing a few key players, but the aggressive man marking in the centre definitely seems like the best counter to this style"

That should be interesting. I think we were a jaded team with players missing. I'm not sure "aggressive man marking" is the answer when we are fit and with our best players playing. We'll see what they have to say.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He has his work cut out now we looked abysmal when missing the two midfield generals last season.
Would be interested to see our results without them on the pitch. They were both out for the arsenal home game where we got destroyed I seem to remember

Gonna be hard to play de zerbi ball without caicedo. We desperately need a replacement.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As somebody else has pointed out, particularly noticeable against Wolves at home.
And in the 3.0 win away to Arsenal, Gilmour and Gross were the two centre midfielders.

Because of Mac Allister’s desire to play further forward after the World Cup and Caicedo needing to cover at right back, we actually rarely played with the two of them together in the pivot in the second half of the season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would be interested to see our results without them on the pitch. They were both out for the arsenal home game where we got destroyed I seem to remember

Gonna be hard to play de zerbi ball without caicedo. We desperately need a replacement.
He missed two games in January amidst the Arsenal interest. We won both of them,

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And in the 3.0 win away to Arsenal, Gilmour and Gross were the two centre midfielders.

Because of Mac Allister’s desire to play further forward after the World Cup and Caicedo needing to cover at right back, we actually rarely played with the two of them together in the pivot in the second half of the season.
As somebody else has pointed out, particularly noticeable against Wolves at home.
Why did Liverpool want them then 🤣

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Love RDZ telling the interviewer to shut up asking questions about Caicedo.
I love RDZ so much. Enjoying every minute of him being here. I really hope when he does eventually go on to manage the biggest clubs in the world he goes in the right way, with a massive ovation from the Albion fans and legend status.

But for now, I am just loving every minute.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If we were to get top 4 next season would players still be quick to leave once they’d proved their worth.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
For once the first page of this thread isn’t full of egg on face comments - well done NSC 👍

He’s ok this Roberto…

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why did Liverpool want them then 🤣
There is a big difference between other clubs wanting our players and our ability to cope without them.

We have and we can.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we were to get top 4 next season would players still be quick to leave once they’d proved their worth.
At that point it would all boil down to money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here