Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi continuity planning: Francesco Farioli

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Heard the name Francesco Farioli mentioned by Rory Smith on 5Live's Monday Night Club as a left-field selection for Leeds.

He described him as a "disciple of De Zerbi" or something very similar.

At 34 he's very young, and currently managing Alanyaspor in the Turkish Super Lig and has been linked with Rangers, Watford and Sunderland recently. Feels like he needs another job before he'd be Premier League ready, but he has the sort of profile that would mean the Albion are "tracking him", as they like to say.

Sky News piece here from late last year:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He left Alanyaspor at the end of February after going on a losing streak.

Appears to favour a 4 1 4 1 formation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The beginning of this, from his first managerial position at Karagümrük, before he moved to Alanyaspor, looks VERY familiar...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Heard the name Francesco Farioli mentioned by Rory Smith on 5Live's Monday Night Club as a left-field selection for Leeds.

He described him as a "disciple of De Zerbi" or something very similar.

At 34 he's very young, and currently managing Alanyaspor in the Turkish Super Lig and has been linked with Rangers, Watford and Sunderland recently. Feels like he needs another job before he'd be Premier League ready, but he has the sort of profile that would mean the Albion are "tracking him", as they like to say.

Sky News piece here from late last year:

My instinctive reaction was that 34 is not 'very young' for a left-wing player.

:facepalm: (at myself)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My instinctive reaction was that 34 is not 'very young' for a left-wing player.

:facepalm: (at myself)
But it is very young for a right winger!

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
Conquering Turkey (and beyond): Farioli's European dream

Black sweater, à la De Zerbi (and it is no coincidence). If you see him on the bench, you ask him "What are you doing coaching?". The look is young, the body athletic: on the other hand, at 33, those who are in football still play and do so for important clubs. Francesco Farioli had chosen another path from the start: first as goalkeeper coach, then as assistant coach, then a coach in his own.

After the experience at Karagmuruk in December, in January 2022 he was signed by Alanyaspor (in the Superlig the change of bench during the season is allowed). The choice hadn't been random: his football philosophy (a word not by chance, but we'll come back to it) convinced the management, especially given his intention to focus, match after match, on young players to showcase. Oh, for the record: at the moment, Alanyaspor has 61 points, and it is a record for the club's history, they are fifth in the standings and are aiming for a European competition that seemed really difficult at the beginning of the year.

A project that started from afar, and that required time and great ability to adapt. Many of the players who are now starters were reserves last season. And many others are at the beginning of their careers, and are in the Under 21 national team.

A gamble, of course, but one that paid off. Due to a philosophy (here it is, the key word) which has always characterized the path of this atypical Italian who at the age of 23 had graduated in Florence with a thesis entitled "Philosophy of the game: the aesthetics of football and the role of the goalkeeper”…

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Now manager of Nice, who sit atop Ligue 1 and are the only unbeaten side in the division.

Sounds VERY RDZ-y:

"They must enjoy the ball, approach the game in a brave and proactive way. They need to show ambition because our demands are very high. Team effort and having the capacity to connect with others is crucial.​
"I loved watching the Marcelo Lippi Juventus side, and especially enjoyed their winning mentality, but I was really taken by Pep Guardiola's Barcelona team. I loved that style of play.​
"I see many of the same characteristics at Arsenal compared with that of my own team. I will also mention Marcelo Bielsa in this category because of his values. There is no compromise at all."​

Some coverage of him on this week's On The Continent podcast:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Do you know something we don’t? 😕

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you know something we don’t? 😕
Absolutely nothing.

I'm just trying to look clever (I'm not) should we appoint him in the future. I'm going to start a lot of threads like this to give myself the best chance!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Just seen that Nice have conceded 5 goals in 14 games this season, so it’s safe to say he’s actually nothing like RDZ!

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
I must say that I was quite surprised by the way AEK Athens played. Maybe Matias Almeyda can be the next RDZ? Yeah, I know they played like thugs in the second half in Athens but that is more about the players than Almeyda I guess. Well, just a thought from a snowy Sweden.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I must say that I was quite surprised by the way AEK Athens played. Maybe Matias Almeyda can be the next RDZ? Yeah, I know they played like thugs in the second half in Athens but that is more about the players than Almeyda I guess. Well, just a thought from a snowy Sweden.
I was thinking the same. He had us worked out in both games, struggling a little in a shit league though I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here