[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He wasn't on the bench and it was his choice.

Whether he refused, demanded, asked nicely, asked very,very nicely or asked aggressively it doesn't matter. The result was he wasn't on the bench. He let the whole club down. Put himself above everything when we were on the brink of history. For a measly 6 games.

Glad he's gone.
If his confidence was shot, and his negative feelings were apparent in the dressing room, he was doing the club a favour by getting out of the way.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am not surprised he doesn't want him either, and I am not surprised Sanchez doesn't want to be where he is being asked to do something he isn't comfortable doing. I just don't see the need to berate either one of them for not seeing eye to eye.
For many people everything is black and white. No shades of grey.

Edit; Icy beat me to it.

Anyway, regardless I hope he gets in their team in time to play in front of the North Stand and that it’s live on tv, as I love a bit of pantomime booing and will join in with enthusiasm.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So if he asked for a cup of tea it would have been a demand? Asking is not the same as refusing, and we are guessing as to how he was feeling and why he asked. It also isn't downing tools.
Face Palm GIF

Why do you keep extrapolating this into other irrelevant situations ? Cup of tea, wtf ?? As @Thunderbolt said, you are splitting hairs and juggling with semantics. Here are the facts.

1. Sanchez is a professional footballer who is paid (handsomely) to be a part of our squad.
2. He lost his place in the side following some indifferent displays.
3. His job is to turn up, work hard and fight for his place to prove the manager wrong - and if not starting, to be available from the bench if needed during the game.

Sanchez decided that if he wasn't starting, then he didn't want to be involved at all. Whether you call that a demand, an appeal, a polite request, a nicely worded letter or a blazing row, it all amounts to the same thing - he made himself unavailable.

His attitude showed a distinct lack of professionalism on his part. Telling RDZ not to include him in the squad if he was on the bench was a dereliction of duty. Personally I'd have docked his wages if he was refusing to do what he was being paid to do. I think it was quite generous of the club to continue filling his trousers while he went AWOL on his team mates in the run-in.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
So was talking to my football loving team mates in the pub on Wednesday.

When I explained that Sanchez was part of a goalkeeping group that currently consisted of...

Canada's no.2 keeper
Dutch u-21 keeper
Dutch u-21 reserve keeper on loan
England U-21 reserve kerper on loan
England U-20 keeper on loan

all I got was a f*** me your recruitment is ridiculous

It was a compliment.

Good business we move on and in our club we trust.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Face Palm GIF

Why do you keep extrapolating this into other irrelevant situations ? Cup of tea, wtf ?? As @Thunderbolt said, you are splitting hairs and juggling with semantics. Here are the facts.

1. Sanchez is a professional footballer who is paid (handsomely) to be a part of our squad.
2. He lost his place in the side following some indifferent displays.
3. His job is to turn up, work hard and fight for his place to prove the manager wrong - and if not starting, to be available from the bench if needed during the game.

Sanchez decided that if he wasn't starting, then he didn't want to be involved at all. Whether you call that a demand, an appeal, a polite request, a nicely worded letter or a blazing row, it all amounts to the same thing - he made himself unavailable.

His attitude showed a distinct lack of professionalism on his part. Telling RDZ not to include him in the squad if he was on the bench was a dereliction of duty. Personally I'd have docked his wages if he was refusing to do what he was being paid to do. I think it was quite generous of the club to continue filling his trousers while he went AWOL on his team mates in the run-in.
Trying to remind people of the difference between asking to be left out and refusing to be involved.
I imagine there are situations that even a hard taskmaster like yourself would find it acceptable to ask to not be involved, might you consider it reasonable if he was just so gutted at realising his time was probably over at a club he had been at for 10 years, since he was 15 that he just couldn't be any use as a back up? I just don't get the vitriol for someone being pissed off at being asked not to play for Brighton, any of us would be gutted about that wouldn't we?
Yes, Steele has been fantastic whilst being the back up, but he is more mature, had his dark days in the past where he considered quitting the game altogether, and has the mental tools to get past his disappointments now. Mental state is important for all of us to be able to do our jobs, more so for elite sportsmen, and if he wasn't in the right state of mind to jump off the bench and perform if Steele had got sent off or injured, he was not letting anyone down by letting them know that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sanchez

all keepers will have ‘howlers’ at some point. Sanchez should never have been dropped. It wasnt the howlers that cost him his play it was his inability to adapt to RDZ kamikaze style of play. Once he is eventually sacked or leaves and a new manager comes in we will go back to a much more normal way of playing but be poorer because we then won’t have Sanchez between the sticks. If Bart flops then we are going to be up shit creek as Steele isn’t getting any younger.
Do you honestly think, after the way the club has gone about its business and operated over the past few seasons that they don't know what they're doing, to the point that they would leave it 'up shit creek'?

It completely baffles me what some people think about the people who run the club. The management and hierachy see the players day in, day out and they communicate with each other to about the squad goings on to a level that we would never get anywhere near finding out about. It's possible, for example, that Sanchez engineered a move away to Chelsea and Ben Roberts. It's also possible that there was a massive falling out and there was no way of manager/club and player reconciling. We will probably never know.

At the end of the day, Sanchez has gone. And, to be honest, it looks like that is the outcome he wanted, given a refusal to play and a reaction to being dropped and then not reinstalled when he thought he should've been. I'm not saying that's wrong or right, but the club has made a decision that is best for the club.

I get that in this day and age it's pretty much the LAW to take 'sides' in a situation, but FFS – it's a football player (in a position where we're not exactly lacking strength in depth) who has gone to another club. He's not here any more, we move on without him and get behind the goalkeepers who ARE here!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

When I explained that Sanchez was part of a goalkeeping group that currently consisted of...

Canada's no.2 keeper
Dutch u-21 keeper

It was a compliment.

Mind boggling for those of us who chanted “We’ve got a Maltese International” back in the day :lolol:

This was when we signed Chelsea has beens and were very happy to do so.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
From the Chelsea forum, nice little summary;

“Sounds like we went to the dealership to buy a Rolls Royce and got sold an old fiat van with an over priced extended warranty. Even though we’d previously been to this dealership and paid over the odds for what we thought was a nice little Jeep Defender. Which turned out to have a bad timing belt, no reverse gear, and a head full of rust.”
Why would you buy a Fiat van when you intended to buy a Rolls-Royce?

That analogy is SHITEHOUSE.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The actual De Zerbi quote on Steele getting the position “At this moment, he (Steele) is closer to my idea, my style. Robert is improving, but Jason deserves to play. When I speak of my style, I’m speaking about the foot.”

And after Sanchez asked not to be on the bench at Arsenal, De Zerbi said: “He (Sanchez) decided everything. He wanted it this way. Not me, not the club.”

And all this happened at the single most important point in the club's history. Of course, there are multiple ways of interpreting this :wink:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Both can be true:

Sanchez acted like a prize berk and let the club/fans down, Whilst at the same time, the way Roberto dealt with the situation publicly wasn’t ideal, let’s be fair here he’s got an obviously big ego and being dropped for a guy who has previously been nowhere near the starting line up would have been a big enough dent in the ego as was, let alone with all the comments in the press after, Roberto could have managed the situation better that’s just my opinion.

It’s one of them situations where RDZ honesty in the press got him into a tricky position.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If his confidence was shot, and his negative feelings were apparent in the dressing room, he was doing the club a favour by getting out of the way.
Deary me....! I'm aware that generally you just like to be confrontational on here with other posters...( not unlike Gtr49 ? )...., but I think you're scraping the barrel on this one.

el punal

I recall a ton of kicks into ESL and WSL, then RDZ showing his frustration. Steele's great with his feet, laser accurate 50 yards passes every time.
For many people everything is black and white. No shades of grey.

Edit; Icy beat me to it.

Anyway, regardless I hope he gets in their team in time to play in front of the North Stand and that it’s live on tv, as I love a bit of pantomime booing and will join in with enthusiasm.
On the theme of pantomime - if Sanchez was playing in goal in front of the North Stand and he was beaten by a rasping shot that hit the net you could all shout “It’s behind you!” :drink:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Trying to remind people of the difference between asking to be left out and refusing to be involved.
I imagine there are situations that even a hard taskmaster like yourself would find it acceptable to ask to not be involved, might you consider it reasonable if he was just so gutted at realising his time was probably over at a club he had been at for 10 years, since he was 15 that he just couldn't be any use as a back up? I just don't get the vitriol for someone being pissed off at being asked not to play for Brighton, any of us would be gutted about that wouldn't we?
Yes, Steele has been fantastic whilst being the back up, but he is more mature, had his dark days in the past where he considered quitting the game altogether, and has the mental tools to get past his disappointments now. Mental state is important for all of us to be able to do our jobs, more so for elite sportsmen, and if he wasn't in the right state of mind to jump off the bench and perform if Steele had got sent off or injured, he was not letting anyone down by letting them know that.
There always nuances and subtleties of course but luckily if his mental state was such that he couldn't handle being the number 2 keeper, the good news is that the solution was a pay rise and a move to be a number 2 keeper somewhere else. Who knew?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Agree, but shirley it would be better if he came on at half time, with Ben Roberts doing that warming up thing in the North Stand goal again :laugh:

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
A lot of Spanish players (and Italians for that matter) seem to have a dream of playing for top clubs in their home country at some stage in their career.

The Spanish especially are also very biased towards players playing in Spain with regards to national team selection.

Granted the fee we’ve got is great but the best part for me of this deal is the sell on clause. Courtois and Ter Stegen are both 31 now. They’ve got probably 3 years left at top performance as goalkeepers.

Sanchez will be 28 then so if he realised his potential and one of the above retire he would be a very viable option for both clubs.

We could be quids in, in a few years. Excellent business again by the club.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Our 6th (?) sale over 20 million. Crazy.
White, Cucurella, Mac Allister, Sanchez, Bissouma,

Canada's no.2 keeper
Dutch u-21 keeper

It was a compliment.

Canada's number 2 goalkeeper who has about 5 career appearances in senior football!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He wasn't on the bench and it was his choice.

Whether he refused, demanded, asked nicely, asked very,very nicely or asked aggressively it doesn't matter. The result was he wasn't on the bench. He let the whole club down. Put himself above everything when we were on the brink of history. For a measly 6 games.

Glad he's gone.
This

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And "asked not to be included" has become refused to sit on the bench, downed tools, etc. I think many are judging him harshly without enough real information to form such a strong opinion.
What utter garbage. Not be included is exactly the same as not wanting to be on the bench.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Jesus there is some utter garbage being spouted by the Robert 'can do no wrong' Sanchez supporters club. First trying to deny he didn't want to be on the bench then the truly bizarre claim that he might have wanted to help with the day to day things but not sit on the bench. What day to day things do you think he would do? Carry the water bottles? Clear up the changing room? If he's not big enough to sit on the bench where he might get the chance to come and prove himself, he isn't going to do anything menial!

And now, in their effort to defend their onion bag hero, they are now starting to attack RDZ. He might not be perfect but he is by far and away the best manager I've seen at the Albion in nearly 50 years of watching the club. Playing the best football, achieving the highest finish and now playing in Europe. Beggars belief.

Sanchez is, in my view, a very good goalkeeper, but he has shot himself in the foot the moment he didn't want to be part of the team. If I was his team mate then he would have gone down considerably in my estimations. Team spirit is important for a club like ours and he undermined that and there was probably no going back from that. Even if RDZ left, Sanchez would still have to play with players he let down.

But I guess at the end of the day you lot won't listen to any of that. It will be interesting to see how he fares at Chelsea and whether or not he has to warm the bench there.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jesus there is some utter garbage being spouted by the Robert 'can do no wrong' Sanchez supporters club. First trying to deny he didn't want to be on the bench then the truly bizarre claim that he might have wanted to help with the day to day things but not sit on the bench. What day to day things do you think he would do? Carry the water bottles? Clear up the changing room? If he's not big enough to sit on the bench where he might get the chance to come and prove himself, he isn't going to do anything menial!

And now, in their effort to defend their onion bag hero, they are now starting to attack RDZ. He might not be perfect but he is by far and away the best manager I've seen at the Albion in nearly 50 years of watching the club. Playing the best football, achieving the highest finish and now playing in Europe. Beggars belief.

Sanchez is, in my view, a very good goalkeeper, but he has shot himself in the foot the moment he didn't want to be part of the team. If I was his team mate then he would have gone down considerably in my estimations. Team spirit is important for a club like ours and he undermined that and there was probably no going back from that. Even if RDZ left, Sanchez would still have to play with players he let down.

But I guess at the end of the day you lot won't listen to any of that. It will be interesting to see how he fares at Chelsea and whether or not he has to warm the bench there.
Nailed it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports