[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you can't adapt your game, then tough shit. Other players at the back have adapted to RDZ's style and flourished under it. Its not like Sanchez was being asked to play at fullback is it - he's still ultimately there to be a shotstopper, but in the modern game its essential that goalkeepers are comfortable with the ball at their feet. And in RDZ's game, they also need to be highly adept at recycling the ball in tight situations.

I have zero respect for a player who instead of fighting for his place, fighting to learn and improve, instead takes the easy stroppy option and downs tools. I'm glad he's gone, as far as I'm concerned he can DO one. I hope he chucks one into the Chelsea net on his debut and joins the Cucurella shitclub there.
What De Zerbi wants from his keeper is extreme in terms of being comfortable with the ball at his feet, f*** it's pretty extreme on the defenders.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is playing out from the back, and then there is goading the strikers to press the keeper and the defence in numbers. Sanchez was comfortable with Potters playing out from the back, finding a player in space, less so playing one touch pinball in the penalty box.
So he wasn't up to it, didn't feel like he could ever learn it, got narked at being left out as a result and so decided to down tools. Potentially leaving his team mates in the lurch.

Class.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So he wasn't up to it, didn't feel like he could ever learn it, got narked at being left out as a result and so decided to down tools. Potentially leaving his team mates in the lurch.

Class.
Geez! Hope you're not feeling too violated :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What De Zerbi wants from his keeper is extreme in terms of being comfortable with the ball at his feet, f*** it's pretty extreme on the defenders.
And ?
These tactics got us to 6th place, into Europe, and within a (typically) Solly'd skypen of making the FA Cup Final. Our defenders bought into it, Sanchez didn't. Or couldn't. Or at least he didn't do enough on the training ground to show he could be a part of it, so jacked it in.

And yet you're still blaming the manager for that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Geez! Hope you're not feeling too violated :shrug:
Violated ? No, strange word to use. Just annoyed and disappointed that a very talented keeper who had been here a long time and contributed a lot, chose to hit the dickhead button at the first sign of a little adversity in his career. I thought he was better than that. But I've been wrong before.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Are you really? I don't think de Zerbi rates him, and more significantly, I don't think de Zerbi's GK coach likes him. either. De Zerbi said, "Robert needs to listen to Ricard Segarra(?) [the goal-keeping coach?]"long before Sanchez was dropped - so there was tension there eary doors. Many NSCers wll doubtless rage at the suggestion, but maybe, just maybe, Sanchez felt he was beig thrown under the bus.

Chances to get his no.1 position back at Brighton? Considerably less than his chances of ousting Kea as no.1 at Chelsea, I would say..

Anyway, regardless of any rights and wrongs, I'm pissed off with some of the OTT Sanchez bashing, so I'm out of any further conversations on the subject.
Erm.....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's not just RDZ though is it. More and more want to play out from the back, that's why Ten Haag let De Gea go. Sanchez is a **** but his refusal to sit on the bench for the last 6 games means he falls foul of the 'no dickheads' rule. Now he may have been very badly advised by his agent but it was still his decision not to support his team mates in the push for Europe.
Not quite true that is it, De Gea just refused a new contract that was a pay cut. I don't think it is true Sanchez refused to sit on the bench either, I believe he just could not pretend to be happy about it and it was deemed best not to have a grumpy geezer in the dressing room, but I don't know, all we have is rumour and snippets from De Zerbi, who is not quite accurate with his English still.
I just can't get pissed off with him for being unhappy with being dropped for a keeper that is not as good as he is in all the measures you would normally value in a keeper, but has better pass completion.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I’ll stand by the point Chelsea have got a good keeper and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him as their no1 by the end of season.
Completely agree, Steele is well behind Sanchez when it comes to pulling off game saving saves. However it is Steele's ability to create chances that is becoming integral to how we play, we need a reserve keeper that can fill that role when he is injured and Sanchez is not up to the task. Chelsea in the mean time have picked up a quality player for a reasonable fee. And hey I know this sentiment has been expressed a number of times but, wtf we just sold a home grown keeper for 25m heady times.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don't think anyone is disputing that he's a good keeper - its his stinking attitude that was the issue. I'd have been very happy going into this season with Sanchez and Steele vying for the No1 shirt, but unfortunately Sanchez felt that fighting for the shirt here was now somewhat beneath him.
But you are expecting him to fight on a front that he can't win on, Steele is just loads better with his feet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did he leave while I was distracted?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It says a lot that most of the people defending Sanchrz suggest he might not have refused to bench.

As if the Sanchez camp wouldn't have pushed out a lot of PR if that were the case.

He was great in 2021. Stats thrn fell off a cliff and so De Zerbi put a better passer in goal instead.

Doesn't mean he can't be a great keeper but it does mean he's rightly being moved on

I don’t agree that Sanchez was a better keeper out of possession, he made too many weird ricks for that to be true. He may well go on to become a very consistent, high quality keeper who rids those issues from his game if he plays a lot of matches - still not clear how being a signed No2 will give him that, but I’m sure he’s got a bumper pay rise. Good for him, we’ve got two keepers if not as good arguably better than him currently so everyone’s happy. Not sure I’ll be thinking about him again for a very long time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
25 mill for our reserve keeper? ???

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (etc.).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Steele did get injured, and after two months of quiet benchwarming Sanchez was picked and played two of the biggest games in our history, our first win at Stamford Bridge followed by the Cup semi final at Wembley. He excelled in both, a chance to re-establish himself you might say, but was dropped back to the bench immediately after. Then Steeke shipped five against Everton and was. looking anything but a PL shot stopper, but RDZ told Sanchez he wasn't getting back in the team, at which point he got upset and the rest is history.

We sometimes forget most of us on here are 20, 30, 40 years older than these young men, these ambitious, driven 20- somethings, and are very slow to forgive them their mistakes made in the heat of the moment. Sanchez was a keeper on the up, getting plaudits and in international squads, who was suffering his first big setback. He was presumably told if he worked hard he could get his place back, but at that point after the Everton game he must have realised however good he was, and however poor Steele was, he wasn't going to get back in the team. I think most of us would have reacted similarly at that age. I'm sure he'll look back on it with regret, maybe already does, but some of the stuff on here is really over the top.
Me? Deffo. I was a gold plated tosser at the time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
And ?
These tactics got us to 6th place, into Europe, and within a (typically) Solly'd skypen of making the FA Cup Final. Our defenders bought into it, Sanchez didn't. Or couldn't. Or at least he didn't do enough on the training ground to show he could be a part of it, so jacked it in.

And yet you're still blaming the manager for that.
You have gone a bit batshit mate, I am not blaming the manager for preferring Steele, or anything. I am just not wanting to lynch Sanchez, and understand that it must be f***ing soul destroying to spend ten years at a club developing skills that the new manager does not value as highly as being able to play one touch and pass and receive a ball to feet under pressure.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It says a lot that most of the people defending Sanchrz suggest he might not have refused to bench.

As if the Sanchez camp wouldn't have pushed out a lot of PR if that were the case.

He was great in 2021. Stats thrn fell off a cliff and so De Zerbi put a better passer in goal instead.

Doesn't mean he can't be a great keeper but it does mean he's rightly being moved on.
Where have you seen anything from a reputable source that he refused to sit on the bench?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You have gone a bit batshit mate, I am not blaming the manager for preferring Steele, or anything. I am just not wanting to lynch Sanchez, and understand that it must be f***ing soul destroying to spend ten years at a club developing skills that the new manager does not value as highly as being able to play one touch and pass and receive a ball to feet under pressure.
Spot on. - for some people the only acceptable scenario is that Sanchez is shit, a rotten bad apple that needed to be shifted out of our club before he polluted everything that is sacred therein - and anybody who disagrees with them ...... well ......... for heaven's sake, how can they possibly not want to lynch him!

Good luck, Big Bob (as he was known before he became a bad apple and shit) - do wish you'd gone anywhere but Chelsea though. On the links below, Shaka Hislop has called it right, BTW, hard as that may be to accept by some.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whats batshit, mate, is trying to justify a professional, highly paid footballer downing tools because he's been dropped. I couldn't give a flying f*ck at a rolling donut if he felt his skills "weren't being valued" by the new manager. Get on board, work on it, improve, or piss off. Thats what you are PAID to do.

He chose the latter - DURING THE RUN-IN when we were running on fumes. He may well have been needed off the bench in any one of those games, but while his team mates were busting their arses to secure Europe, he was getting haircuts and poncing around taking selfies in restaurants in the Lanes - literally - whilst the team was playing.

He's a prick, mate. I'm amazed anyone could think otherwise.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Fine.

How much did the Saudi murder f*** s chip in to rebalance the scuzzy London f*** s ROSTA of goal tenders?

FFSFFP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports