[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
56+21.5+25 =102.5 MIllion f***ing pounds in 12 months from Chelsea &HA with another possible 100 to come, just wow :lolol:
Cucu fee may have been more I think? If add-ons were met up to £63m… even funnier.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Today has been a good day for the Albion. Yet again we wave goodbye to a player for a decent wedge without the squad being any the weaker for it.

It would be easy to take all of this for granted but I have to hand it to Tony, Paul and the board - they continue to play a blinder and I love them for it.

The Amex cost £105 mill to build and at the time that seemed like the world, but now that's merely the transfer profit for an average year.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Very true, right now it’s a good deal like I said, angry player with a bad attitude gone but…..

In 2 years time if he’s one of the top keepers in the world £25m will look like a bargain for Chelsea, I think people do forget how good Sanchez is because of the Palace mistake and his drop in form after Roberts left, I’m pretty sure most on here pre RDZ would have said Sanchez would be leaving us for a hell of a lot more than £25m
Correct, but things change quickly in football as we know. I’m not aftertiming, I rarely slate our players but after that Palarse game I said to a mate I really don’t rate him that highly now. That was before the tantrum etc. I don’t think he’ll be a world class keeper and don’t think he’ll play many prem league games for them knobheads barring injury to that other sulky twat who refused to be subbed in the final…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The memories are short-lasting, but the vitriol goes on..........

His distribution was less good than Steele's, but shit? FFS get a grip!

Fine margins are everything at elite sport, Brailsford’s incremental gains.

Steele’s and Dunk’s exemplary distribution is vital to RDZ ball, it really is. RDZ didn’t drop RS because he’s an idiot.

It’s the way to go for teams playing a beautiful game. Within weeks of Guardiola arriving at Abu Dhabi he ditched Hart for a footballing goalie, Alisson Becker is brilliant in his lightning quick distribution. The argument defending RS that Ederson and Alisson mistakes too is a side issue, every goalie in history must have, but some offer quality distribution for 90 minutes, some far more patchy.

In RDZ I trust.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure Cucu is going to meet any of the add ons!
Yeh maybe a few but not all. If any were appearance related, he luckily (luckily because most of it was comedy shit) has played a lot for them I guess. If it was Europe or team related over last season we’re a bit f***ed 🤪

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
For someone not happy to be a second choice keeper to go to Chelsea to be just that is a strange decision. I’m sure he’d have played more games for us.
Are you really? I don't think de Zerbi rates him, and more significantly, I don't think de Zerbi's GK coach likes him. either. De Zerbi said, "Robert needs to listen to Ricard Segarra(?) [the goal-keeping coach?]"long before Sanchez was dropped - so there was tension there eary doors. Many NSCers wll doubtless rage at the suggestion, but maybe, just maybe, Sanchez felt he was beig thrown under the bus.

Chances to get his no.1 position back at Brighton? Considerably less than his chances of ousting Kea as no.1 at Chelsea, I would say..

Anyway, regardless of any rights and wrongs, I'm pissed off with some of the OTT Sanchez bashing, so I'm out of any further conversations on the subject.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Cracking post - 100% agree. Said simething similar earlier, only for some Sanchez hater to jeer that he must be my love child, conceived some squalid night in some place seedy enough for the conception of such low-life.
Granted, he asked not to be included in the squad to sit in the bench (or refused to sit on the bench if you insist on the more detrmental version), but nowhere have I seen any suggestion (other than amongst the outrage on NSC) that he refused (or would have refused) to play, had he been selected to actually play should Steele have become unavailable for any reason.
Well, he's gone, we've apparantly got a decent price for him, which is good, but apart from that I, like you, am disappointed it's ended this way. Still wish it was anywhere but Chelsea........
Oh that's OK then. Refusing to sit on the bench and be there for his team mates is no issue at all if he was prepared to play if selected to play.

What was all the fuss about then? All RDZ needed to do was to bench Steele, problem solved!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good keeper with the potential to be a very good keeper despite some of the rewriting of history by some on here.
Good deal for us, but also a good deal for Chelsea.
I don't think anyone is disputing that he's a good keeper - its his stinking attitude that was the issue. I'd have been very happy going into this season with Sanchez and Steele vying for the No1 shirt, but unfortunately Sanchez felt that fighting for the shirt here was now somewhat beneath him.

Anything could've happened. Steele could've got suspended, injured, and then he'd have been back in the box seat with a chance of re-establishing himself. Instead he chose to play the dickhead card, during the best season in our history. We could've done with him in that run-in, as we'd have been bang in trouble if anything had happened to Steele. Turns out, he was too precious to be a backup for his team mates though. Choosing to swan around the restaurants in town instead of doing what he was PAID for.

So good riddance. F*ck him, and the horse he rode in on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh that's OK then. Refusing to sit on the bench and be there for his team mates is no issue at all if he was prepared to play if selected to play.

What was all the fuss about then? All RDZ needed to do was to bench Steele, problem solved!
Being a prick doesn't stop him from being an Albion keeper plenty good enough to be an integral part of our greatest ever season.

He leaves with the club in an arguably better position and £9,000,000 better off.

Next seasons pre game highlights will all include a tremendous save from Bob.

It was good while it lasted and being a prick is hardly grounds for a lynch mob.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Being a prick doesn't stop him from being an Albion keeper plenty good enough to be an integral part of our greatest ever season.

He leaves with the club in an arguably better position and £9,000,000 better off.

Next seasons pre game highlights will all include a tremendous save from Bob.

It was good while it lasted and being a prick is hardly grounds for a lynch mob.
I wasn't saying otherwise. He's very good keeper but the suggestion that refusing to be part of the squad is OK was one of the odder things I've read on this forum. There's a lot of competition for such an accolade too!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think anyone is disputing that he's a good keeper - its his stinking attitude that was the issue. I'd have been very happy going into this season with Sanchez and Steele vying for the No1 shirt, but unfortunately Sanchez felt that fighting for the shirt here was now somewhat beneath him.

Anything could've happened. Steele could've got suspended, injured, and then he'd have been back in the box seat with a chance of re-establishing himself. Instead he chose to play the dickhead card, during the best season in our history. We could've done with him in that run-in, as we'd have been bang in trouble if anything had happened to Steele. Turns out, he was too precious to be a backup for his team mates though. Choosing to swan around the restaurants in town instead of doing what he was PAID for.

So good riddance. F*ck him, and the horse he rode in on.
Steele did get injured, and after two months of quiet benchwarming Sanchez was picked and played two of the biggest games in our history, our first win at Stamford Bridge followed by the Cup semi final at Wembley. He excelled in both, a chance to re-establish himself you might say, but was dropped back to the bench immediately after. Then Steeke shipped five against Everton and was. looking anything but a PL shot stopper, but RDZ told Sanchez he wasn't getting back in the team, at which point he got upset and the rest is history.

We sometimes forget most of us on here are 20, 30, 40 years older than these young men, these ambitious, driven 20- somethings, and are very slow to forgive them their mistakes made in the heat of the moment. Sanchez was a keeper on the up, getting plaudits and in international squads, who was suffering his first big setback. He was presumably told if he worked hard he could get his place back, but at that point after the Everton game he must have realised however good he was, and however poor Steele was, he wasn't going to get back in the team. I think most of us would have reacted similarly at that age. I'm sure he'll look back on it with regret, maybe already does, but some of the stuff on here is really over the top.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Steele did get injured, and after two months of quiet benchwarming Sanchez was picked and played two of the biggest games in our history, our first win at Stamford Bridge followed by the Cup semi final at Wembley. He excelled in both, a chance to re-establish himself you might say, but was dropped back to the bench immediately after. Then Steeke shipped five against Everton and was. looking anything but a PL shot stopper, but RDZ told Sanchez he wasn't getting back in the team, at which point he got upset and the rest is history.

We sometimes forget most of us on here are 20, 30, 40 years older than these young men, these ambitious, driven 20- somethings, and are very slow to forgive them their mistakes made in the heat of the moment. Sanchez was a keeper on the up, getting plaudits and in international squads, who was suffering his first big setback. He was presumably told if he worked hard he could get his place back, but at that point after the Everton game he must have realised however good he was, and however poor Steele was, he wasn't going to get back in the team. I think most of us would have reacted similarly at that age. I'm sure he'll look back on it with regret, maybe already does, but some of the stuff on here is really over the top.
Although he made that fantastic save, even with the massively wide Wembley pitch, Sanchez distribution was poor often giving back possession to Man Utd with throw ins, especially during extra time. That would definitely have been noticed by RDZ

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports