[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Very true, right now it’s a good deal like I said, angry player with a bad attitude gone but…..

In 2 years time if he’s one of the top keepers in the world £25m will look like a bargain for Chelsea, I think people do forget how good Sanchez is because of the Palace mistake and his drop in form after Roberts left, I’m pretty sure most on here pre RDZ would have said Sanchez would be leaving us for a hell of a lot more than £25m
It is in the top 10 most expensive keeper transfers of ALL TIME.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What if you were an apprentice at the firm, worked your way up to be the best Bricklayer on the firm, and then a new manager says, apart from laying those bricks, we need you to knock up the muck and bump out the bricks too?
Sanchez has been her 10 years and developed into a great shot stopper, but now he is being asked to be much more of an outfield player, and I believe that has affected his goalkeeping negatively.
If I were him I would be a bit pissed off at being dropped, for a guy that is not as good at keeping the ball out of the net, and if I was going to be a miserable git and sad sack, I think it would be wise to not have me in the dressing room bringing the mood down. I can't be mad at him for wanting away, what De Zerbi wants is not normal for a keeper, and with Euro's coming, Sanchez will be hoping to show his best somewhere and be in the Spain squad, he just isn't suited to De Zerbi, it doesn't make him a ****.
If you can't adapt your game, then tough shit. Other players at the back have adapted to RDZ's style and flourished under it. Its not like Sanchez was being asked to play at fullback is it - he's still ultimately there to be a shotstopper, but in the modern game its essential that goalkeepers are comfortable with the ball at their feet. And in RDZ's game, they also need to be highly adept at recycling the ball in tight situations.

I have zero respect for a player who instead of fighting for his place, fighting to learn and improve, instead takes the easy stroppy option and downs tools. I'm glad he's gone, as far as I'm concerned he can DO one. I hope he chucks one into the Chelsea net on his debut and joins the Cucurella shitclub there.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Goalkeepers have a special ego - I’ve heard lots of ex pros talking about this in various podcasts.

Put it this way if I was Sanchez, being quite publicly dropped and told to improve for a goalkeeper who pre-RDZ, let’s be honest none of us thought could ever be our #1, it must be a very tough pill to swallow, not saying it’s right because clearly it’s not but he’s not alone in having a big ego.

The way he acted was pathetic and childish and he should have knuckled down and tried to improve, but there are elements of the situation that weren’t handled well on all sides, it’s regrettable it’s ended like this really.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I think a lot of people get bogged down on fees. I used to attribute this to older fans where every penny counted (sticking a tenner in a bucket to buy Rod Thomas), but it seems universal across football now, even when clubs are run by petro-states and foreign billionaires.

Every club wants their club to be seen to be getting a good deal, and tribalism plays a huge part. It’s natural for fans not to get blasé about their club overspending - looking at what happened to Portsmouth, Leeds, Bradford and others - but this obsession with specifics of transfer fees is completely out of hand. Twitter wags, Sky Sports and the rags have long known that transfers and (alleged) fees are big business for them too. Clicks are cash.

My position is it’s nice to know the club is being run sustainably, but as fans even with published accounts we scarcely get the full picture on transfer deals.

In all business there are good and bad deals, but as long as this owner, supported by a phenomenal CEO and his team remain at the helm, we are in very safe hands. As an Albion fan that’s my priority rather than cock-waving about how much we do/don’t pay or receive in a transfer deal.
Agree I think at fan level though it comes down to simply winning the transfer

Last edited:

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
The more I think about this the more it feels like a way for Chelsea to give us £100m for Caceido without having to admit they’ve given us £100m for Caceido. I hope I’m wrong but Sanchez was really worth almost nothing in his current situation. We couldn’t keep him because of his attitude, so were in no position to really negotiate any big fee.
Maybe and I hope you're wrong too. Or maybe Chelsea are playing it tough with Caicedo but have caved in and paid the asking price for Sanchez - they should have done it the other way round. What a shame.

Last edited:

el punal

Goalkeepers have a special ego - I’ve heard lots of ex pros talking about this in various podcasts.

Put it this way if I was Sanchez, being quite publicly dropped and told to improve for a goalkeeper who pre-RDZ, let’s be honest none of us thought could ever be our #1, it must be a very tough pill to swallow, not saying it’s right because clearly it’s not but he’s not alone in having a big ego.

The way he acted was pathetic and childish and he should have knuckled down and tried to improve, but there are elements of the situation that weren’t handled well on all sides, it’s regrettable it’s ended like this really.
Which elements were handled badly? We don’t know. What we do know is that Big Bob was dropped and Jason Steele took over. Sanchez seemed to take it badly and downed tools. And that is really all we know - the rest is pure supposition. Just a shame it’s ended this way.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Next…(that is all)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The shirt number reveal went as planned

football fail GIF

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think that, contrary to the way he appears, he lives on his nerves. I think the reason he never showed any emotion is because he was battling inside to stay calm. When he gave it large to the acne massive at Selhurst and made himself a target for abuse on his next visit, I knew he'd have a 'mare. He's a good keeper and will only get better as he becomes more confident. Dirty f***er for refusing to play though. I don't think he could handle the atmosphere if he plays against us at home.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
What if you were an apprentice at the firm, worked your way up to be the best Bricklayer on the firm, and then a new manager says, apart from laying those bricks, we need you to knock up the muck and bump out the bricks too?
Sanchez has been her 10 years and developed into a great shot stopper, but now he is being asked to be much more of an outfield player, and I believe that has affected his goalkeeping negatively.
If I were him I would be a bit pissed off at being dropped, for a guy that is not as good at keeping the ball out of the net, and if I was going to be a miserable git and sad sack, I think it would be wise to not have me in the dressing room bringing the mood down. I can't be mad at him for wanting away, what De Zerbi wants is not normal for a keeper, and with Euro's coming, Sanchez will be hoping to show his best somewhere and be in the Spain squad, he just isn't suited to De Zerbi, it doesn't make him a ****.
I would argue refusing to travel to games and swanning about in town while your team mates are playing does make you a ****.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I recall a ton of kicks into ESL and WSL, then RDZ showing his frustration. Steele's great with his feet, laser accurate 50 yards passes every time.
Yeah you’re part right but RDZ ball is so intense…. Love it though

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not just RDZ though is it. More and more want to play out from the back, that's why Ten Haag let De Gea go. Sanchez is a **** but his refusal to sit on the bench for the last 6 games means he falls foul of the 'no dickheads' rule. Now he may have been very badly advised by his agent but it was still his decision not to support his team mates in the push for Europe.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not read the whole thread.

Anyone volunteered to drive him up there yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports