Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
NSC makes my head hurt on fees - everyone seems to quote different. Ali Mac is almost nailed on to hit the add ons from my understanding so is £55m likely but don’t know for sure. Sanchez is clearly reported as £25m + add ons yet a few posters have said they read it as £20m + add ons…!

Either way, it seems a very good fee given his status and sulking and losing Spain spot etc. Roberts and Winstanley can still f*** right off though 🙌
I think a lot of people get bogged down on fees. I used to attribute this to older fans where every penny counted (sticking a tenner in a bucket to buy Rod Thomas), but it seems universal across football now, even when clubs are run by petro-states and foreign billionaires.

Every club wants their club to be seen to be getting a good deal, and tribalism plays a huge part. It’s natural for fans not to get blasé about their club overspending - looking at what happened to Portsmouth, Leeds, Bradford and others - but this obsession with specifics of transfer fees is completely out of hand. Twitter wags, Sky Sports and the rags have long known that transfers and (alleged) fees are big business for them too. Clicks are cash.

My position is it’s nice to know the club is being run sustainably, but as fans even with published accounts we scarcely get the full picture on transfer deals.

In all business there are good and bad deals, but as long as this owner, supported by a phenomenal CEO and his team remain at the helm, we are in very safe hands. As an Albion fan that’s my priority rather than cock-waving about how much we do/don’t pay or receive in a transfer deal.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think a lot of people get bogged down on fees. I used to attribute this to older fans where every penny counted (sticking a tenner in a bucket to buy Rod Thomas), but it seems universal across football now, even when clubs are run by petro-states and foreign billionaires.

Every club wants their club to be seen to be getting a good deal, and tribalism plays a huge part. It’s natural for fans not to get blasé about their club overspending - looking at what happened to Portsmouth, Leeds, Bradford and others - but this obsession with specifics of transfer fees is completely out of hand. Twitter wags, Sky Sports and the rags have long known that transfers and (alleged) fees are big business for them too. Clicks are cash.

My position is it’s nice to know the club is being run sustainably, but as fans even with published accounts we scarcely get the full picture on transfer deals.

In all business there are good and bad deals, but as long as this owner, supported by a phenomenal CEO and his team remain at the helm, we are in very safe hands. As an Albion fan that’s my priority rather than cock-waving about how much we do/don’t pay or receive in a transfer deal.
Just to confirm, I hope you don’t mean I’m into the cock waving on fees! It’s an interesting part of football but often they’re undisclosed for a reason and nobody (even the press) really know the exact fee. And often add ons are forgotten about / never clear / never revisited of course.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
if any of us did that at work we’d be sacked. now i’m aware that’s apples and oranges, but i hardly think anyone at the club owes him any endearing loyalty. fans say time and again that all most of them want is for players to give their best for the badge on the front of their shirt. that clearly hasn’t happened here.
What if you were an apprentice at the firm, worked your way up to be the best Bricklayer on the firm, and then a new manager says, apart from laying those bricks, we need you to knock up the muck and bump out the bricks too?
Sanchez has been her 10 years and developed into a great shot stopper, but now he is being asked to be much more of an outfield player, and I believe that has affected his goalkeeping negatively.
If I were him I would be a bit pissed off at being dropped, for a guy that is not as good at keeping the ball out of the net, and if I was going to be a miserable git and sad sack, I think it would be wise to not have me in the dressing room bringing the mood down. I can't be mad at him for wanting away, what De Zerbi wants is not normal for a keeper, and with Euro's coming, Sanchez will be hoping to show his best somewhere and be in the Spain squad, he just isn't suited to De Zerbi, it doesn't make him a ****.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
This! From the get go I always thought he'd end up at Chelsea because of the Roberts connection. It was a calculated gamble in that Roberts would need to convince the new incoming manager. However, sulky Bob really wasn't going to risk getting loaned/sold away to some lesser Spanish team or the like that his high opinion of himself couldn't cope with. All of a sudden his apparent angst at bench warming dissipates when he's number 2 at ' massive ' Chelsea and he ups his wages significantly.

And should our paths cross I will be booing him loudly. Just imagine had Steele got injured and the European charge had become derailed because we had to play the young McGill.
I heard something on the radio or podcast recently that goalkeeping coaches are major influences on goalkeeper transfers, and are often given free rein to virtually dictate who comes and goes. Sounds like this was the case with Roberts / Sanchez.

The Sanchez sulk was annoying but if I do boo him in the future it’ll probably be a general Chelsea thing rather than him in particular.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The more I think about this the more it feels like a way for Chelsea to give us £100m for Caceido without having to admit they’ve given us £100m for Caceido. I hope I’m wrong but Sanchez was really worth almost nothing in his current situation. We couldn’t keep him because of his attitude, so were in no position to really negotiate any big fee.
t would be well funny if Toney were to tell Boley he's changed his mind once the money has landed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£30m? Where did you get that from? Just now it was £20mill + £5mill add-ons and suddenly now it’s £30mill???

IMG_0232.png

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
£25m for a keeper like Sanchez is utterly ludicrous, just glad we are selling rather than buying.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Seems a fair price, but I’m absolutely amazed some idiot has paid it. Then again it’s chelsea
I was so sure we’d get to the final days of the transfer window where Chelsea or someone would offer £10/15m knowing we’d probably have to take it as we wouldn’t want a moody keeper collecting wages for a season without playing. So £25m plus add ons now, yes please.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Whilst I think right now 25M+ add ons is a very good deal for us, it’s one I do think could come back to haunt us in the future..

He is a very talented goalkeeper with a high ceiling, he’s prone to mistakes but I think he could be one of the best in the world one day, if he nails down his flaws.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whilst I think right now 25M+ add ons is a very good deal for us, it’s one I do think could come back to haunt us in the future..
Well one never knows in football of course, but as things stand l think we have come out of this pretty well.

Keeping an unhappy, and seemingly angry, player anywhere near the club is never a good recipe.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well one never knows in football of course, but as things stand l think we have come out of this pretty well.

Keeping an unhappy, and seemingly angry, player anywhere near the club is never a good recipe.
Very true, right now it’s a good deal like I said, angry player with a bad attitude gone but…..

In 2 years time if he’s one of the top keepers in the world £25m will look like a bargain for Chelsea, I think people do forget how good Sanchez is because of the Palace mistake and his drop in form after Roberts left, I’m pretty sure most on here pre RDZ would have said Sanchez would be leaving us for a hell of a lot more than £25m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here