Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think all that has been reported (apart from rhetoric on NSC) is that he asked not to be included in the squad to sit on the bench. Never heard any viable report that he would refuse to resume his place between the sticks should Steele become unavailable for selection.
As for not jioining in with training, in the circumstances that is just as likely due to instructions from the club as anything else. Unhappy player wanting to leave? - don't come in and train with the squad. Pretty standard, I would think.
Though his green monstrosity of car has been seen going to Mash Barn Lane regularly so would assume he has been training.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yeah I get that, it’s just them saying it was inclusive of the fee that was confusing me. Is it a £25m fee that includes some triggered add ons AND a separate percentage of any future sale? If so £25m plus potentially a future say £5m is pretty decent.
I read it as

£20m fee
+up to £5m in add ons

The sell of will be a % of any fee they get above the original £20m they paid us, ie if they sold for £30m and it was 20% we’d see an extra £2m from the sell on

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Hugely different in my eyes.....................
How, you are still being relied upon for the club if needed if you are in the squad, starting or not

Even forgetting the importance of our run in for Europe had Steele got injured or suspended it’s not on.

I am going to add I didn’t think he was a bad keeper ability wise and gutted we’ve lost him but his attitude has been a disgrace in recent months, considering we brought him up to this level

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How, you are still being relied upon for the club if needed if you are in the squad, starting or not

Even forgetting the importance of our run in for Europe had Steele got injured or suspended it’s not on.

I am going to add I didn’t think he was a bad keeper ability wise and gutted we’ve lost him but his attitude has been a disgrace in recent months, considering we brought him up to this level
He wasn't much of an example to Rushworth who had the pressure of sitting on the bench instead of him. Fortunately, Steele wasn't injured or carded.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Chelsea have a good deal, IMO.

Very decent keeper, with bags of potential.
Roberts will do a good job with him, and he'll break into the first team pretty quickly, I suspect.
Good deal for both sides I feel. Suits everyone. Given how obvious it was that Bob wanted to leave and we wanted to sell I had assumed this would rumble along until the last days of the window where we’re then forced to accept something like a £15m bid. So happy with £25m plus a potential sell on.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Decent fee for a decent keeper. Never quite understand people saying "He has big errors in him". He's 25, of course he does. Dunk used to be prone to howlers as well. It's a strange phenomena we have in this country that we forget people get better at things. 25 is still young for a Keeper, he will be a top class Keeper one day.

He's still a complete prick for the way he acted with us, and will be getting the full velocity of my BOOOOOO next we play against him. Hopefully his Chelsea move goes as well as Bruno / Potter's did.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Such a shame how its worked out with Sanchez, I firmly believe he was on a path to being one of the very best in the world and whilst being dropped once might have been good for him after a few mistakes, doing it twice had no reason to it other than to very publicly reject him. Contrary to all the slagging off on here, when he was dropped he didn't immediately throw a strop, he was on the bench for two full months, and when he got back in the side two months later he was exceptional, in the win at Chelsea and then a clean sheet in the Cup semi-final including one of the best saves I've seen live. And was then dropped again. At that point he obviously realised RDZ wanted nothing to do with him and I'd challenge anyone to be content in that situation. And still we haven't had him mouthing off to the press, just a behind closed-doors conversation with RDZ where they agreed it was better for everyone that he moves on. Fantastic keeper at every single part of the game, great shot stopper, confident in the air, good with his feet, a tough character who belongs in the premier league. RDZ wants his keeper to be exceptional with the ball at his feet, which rules out 99% of keepers out there, and that's absolutely fine, but when he moves on and we stop playing his style, we'll more than likely be left with a keeper who's not as good as the one we're letting go.

And it all makes me sad
It is sad the way it has panned out but that is down to Sanchez. No player should ever refuse to sit on the bench and I can't believe that went down well with RDZ nor his teammates. Also, just to add a bit to your timeline, he played against Chelsea because of an injury to Steel hence McGill was on the bench at Stamford Bridge. And then as he was at that point the No.2, he played the next cup game which happened to be the semi final. Had Sanchez still be No.1, I very much suspect Steele would have played in the semi final.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure he would - or could - have. De Zerbi was pretty clear that Steele was his new no.1, for the season. In the circumstances, Sanchez might well have felt he'd been thrown under the bus (in spite of a deafening shouts of derision fron NSCers - who weren't there - that he wasn't!) If/when he gets to Chelsea he may well find that what Poch has done (same as Potter probably would have done had he still been there) is to show most of said Prima Donnas out of the door.
He's 25. He got dropped and what most players would do is work hard and, if the manager says the other keeper is more suited to the teams style of play, work hard to adapt to that style. So what if Steele had been given the No.1 spot till the end of the season. After the semi-final, there were only 6 more games till the end of the season. Keep your head down, work hard in close season and evaluate from there. By refusing to sit on the bench, the die was cast and there was no going back.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's 25. He got dropped and what most players would do is work hard and, if the manager says the other keeper is more suited to the teams style of play, work hard to adapt to that style. So what if Steele had been given the No.1 spot till the end of the season. After the semi-final, there were only 6 more games till the end of the season. Keep your head down, work hard in close season and evaluate from there. By refusing to sit on the bench, the die was cast and there was no going back.
Exactly. And what if Steele had got injured in the next match? He'd have had his place back if he hadn't been such a dick.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
yes, but we’ve also bought a few over £20m. I know the ledger is in our favour but that’s the market in which we operate at the moment.
I can only think of 3 players we’ve signed for £20 million or more. Webster, Bart and Joao Pedro. Some reports have Mwepu at over £20 million but that would have made him our record signing at the time and there was zero fanfare if he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here