[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I think the Ben Roberts factor has played a part. Real shame it went this way, I rated Sanchez. Ah well.
This! From the get go I always thought he'd end up at Chelsea because of the Roberts connection. It was a calculated gamble in that Roberts would need to convince the new incoming manager. However, sulky Bob really wasn't going to risk getting loaned/sold away to some lesser Spanish team or the like that his high opinion of himself couldn't cope with. All of a sudden his apparent angst at bench warming dissipates when he's number 2 at ' massive ' Chelsea and he ups his wages significantly.

And should our paths cross I will be booing him loudly. Just imagine had Steele got injured and the European charge had become derailed because we had to play the young McGill.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
It’s quite ironic that the keeper who couldn’t take not being first choice is probably going to a club where he will 100% be a back up keeper from the off

Similar to the Maty Ryan situation (although Ryan wasn't a bad bloke like Rob).

Being a backup for little old Brighton is different to being a backup for a 'big' club.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I have thought for a while that the 'hate' towards Sanchez from our fans is pretty harsh, considering nobody knows exactly what has happened.

As far as I'm aware, he reacted to being dropped very badly and acted unprofessionally by not turning up to training, possibly falling out with the gaffer.

It's hardly crime of the century. Is there something else that's happened that I've missed?

Either way, he seems to have lost the fans, and possibly the manager too. I'd still give him a second chance. He's a quality young keeper, who can still make it to the very highest level... but he's clearly on his way out.

I would be disappointed if we got less than £15m plus add ons for him, as at one point he was probably valued twice that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s quite ironic that the keeper who couldn’t take not being first choice is probably going to a club where he will 100% be a back up keeper from the off
I'd imagine he'd back himself to force his way into contention, particularly with Ben Roberts to work with again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd imagine he'd back himself to force his way into contention, particularly with Ben Roberts to work with again.
Maybe, he might have forced his way back if he hadn’t thrown a strop here. Anyway at Chelsea he’s sure to find lots more like minded Prima Donnas to moan with if he’s not first choice :smile:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Maybe, he might have forced his way back if he hadn’t thrown a strop here. Anyway at Chelsea he’s sure to find lots more like minded Prima Donnas to moan with if he’s not first choice :smile:
I’m sure he will console himself on his £100k pw & continue to drive around in his ridiculously flashy car !

el punal

I have thought for a while that the 'hate' towards Sanchez from our fans is pretty harsh, considering nobody knows exactly what has happened.

As far as I'm aware, he reacted to being dropped very badly and acted unprofessionally by not turning up to training, possibly falling out with the gaffer.

It's hardly crime of the century. Is there something else that's happened that I've missed?

Either way, he seems to have lost the fans, and possibly the manager too. I'd still give him a second chance. He's a quality young keeper, who can still make it to the very highest level... but he's clearly on his way out.

I would be disappointed if we got less than £15m plus add ons for him, as at one point he was probably valued twice that.
I used to like Big Bob a lot, especially after his confrontation with the whole of the Holmesdale knobs a year or so ago. The thing with Sanchez that troubled me most was the red mist. At any time in any game he would lose his temper and his concentration - an example of this was when we beat Southampton 3-1 away last season. We’d conceded a penalty, he saved it but the follow up resulted in a goal. For the next ten minutes he was seething, he had a set-to with Che Adams (I think), misplaced passes and clearances and just generally did not look in control.

I suppose once Jason Steele replaced him as No.1 that that must have affected Bob’s ability to come to terms with the situation and knuckle down and try to improve. For whatever reason, and we don’t know what went on behind closed doors, he took the decision badly resulting in his behaviour to not train or be part of the team. THAT is the sort of attitude which will always be disliked by fans who see it as a total lack of respect. Bye-bye Bob, been nice knowing you.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Good post, I probably would as well.

But his perceived behaviour means it’s a very long way back.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think I'll he be ahead of Kepa actually.
When he was playing he was for Spain.

Well let's hope so, or toys could still be incoming in Brighton all the way from West London :lolol:

Just glad we don't have that bloody monstrosity of car doing impressions of a box of fireworks round here anymore :wink:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Unless we are told otherwise, didn’t he down tools and effectively refuse to be on the bench? (had we needed him)

Refusing to play / not giving the required effort is the biggest sin in football in my book.

Happy to revisit if there’s more to than that, but don’t recall reading to the contrary other than a strop and refusing to play

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
It's a shame it ended like this for Sanchez. Personally, I think he will be a top keeper and end up Chelsea No 1. He has definitely burnt his bridges here with his behaviour and that has been very disappointing. He was and is a very good young goalkeeper and I hope he sorts his attitude out.

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
Interested to know the fee - given how much we've invested in him I'd hope it's as much as we paid for Verbruggen / Chelsea got for Mendy

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Unless we are told otherwise, didn’t he down tools and effectively refuse to be on the bench? (had we needed him)

Refusing to play / not giving the required effort is the biggest sin in football in my book.

Happy to revisit if there’s more to than that, but don’t recall reading to the contrary other than a strop and refusing to play
This all day long, and an over rated goalkeeper too in my book.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

if any of us did that at work we’d be sacked. now i’m aware that’s apples and oranges, but i hardly think anyone at the club owes him any endearing loyalty. fans say time and again that all most of them want is for players to give their best for the badge on the front of their shirt. that clearly hasn’t happened here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports