[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I’m not saying we should hold out for £50m because that isn’t happening, but we should still hold out for £20/30m. If nobody bids it then he stays with us & can have some more time wasting his career. We shouldn’t just bow to his stroppy behaviour & give him away for peanuts.
As a side note: Hilarious that we're upset (myself included) at us only getting around £20m for Sanchez. How times change, eh?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
If nobody bids what we want, he’ll be sent out on loan somewhere (maybe Spain, with a small loan fee) where he can improve his reputation again.

It’s not a matter of getting rid for whatever minuscule amount is offered.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting how a large volume of posters have decided that Sanchez is/was rubbish, seemingly just because he's looking to leave. Sanchez was an is a very, very good goalkeeper who had the occasional ricket in his game and has a fairly recent attitude problem. He isn't out of favour (footballing-wise) because he's a bad keeper, it's because Steele has adapted better to RDZs way of playing the game.

He started more or less 50 games in a row at one stage (and it was only that few on account of a suspension for a red at Villa), nearly 90 matches in total and is in Spain's top 3 current keepers.

Yeah, his attitude stinks, but let's not pretend that someone isn't going to get a very good goalkeeper for a knockdown price. Last season we were talking about bids of upwards of £50m for him, now we'll barely scrape £20-£25m.
I think he’s a great keeper but the apparent attitude he had to being dropped will affect his price quite dramatically imo :shrug:

I am not sure that any one has suggested that he’s rubbish have they?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Interesting how a large volume of posters have decided that Sanchez is/was rubbish, seemingly just because he's looking to leave. Sanchez was an is a very, very good goalkeeper who had the occasional ricket in his game and has a fairly recent attitude problem. He isn't out of favour (footballing-wise) because he's a bad keeper, it's because Steele has adapted better to RDZs way of playing the game.

He started more or less 50 games in a row at one stage (and it was only that few on account of a suspension for a red at Villa), nearly 90 matches in total and is in Spain's top 3 current keepers.

Yeah, his attitude stinks, but let's not pretend that someone isn't going to get a very good goalkeeper for a knockdown price. Last season we were talking about bids of upwards of £50m for him, now we'll barely scrape £20-£25m.
Upwards of £50m would make him one of the most expensive keeper signings of all time (5th).

You can use many barometers to measure keepers, but using PSxG minus goals Sanchez ranks at 19/27 in the keeper standings.

I tend to avoid having a go at player's abilities, but I regard him, and have always regarded him, as nothing special.

My own assessment is always based in emotion. As a keeper he always made me nervous. My favourite keeper was Raya at Brentford (4/27).

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I’m not saying we should hold out for £50m because that isn’t happening, but we should still hold out for £20/30m. If nobody bids it then he stays with us & can have some more time wasting his career. We shouldn’t just bow to his stroppy behaviour & give him away for peanuts.
Im pretty sure that the club would rather have his wages off the books and his attitude well away from the squad than hold out for a bid that will probably never come. Bob is an OK prem level keeper. Mostly solid but way too relaxed imo, and prone to a fair few clangers, many of which he got away with. I just dont see many Prem league club thinking he's worth spending £20m on. I dont see any top 10 clubs where he'd be first choice. If Potter goes to Palace that might be his best chance of a move that we'd get money for.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don’t think anyone has said he is rubbish.

He is a decent PL keeper, no more than that.

I think how he has handled being dropped is pretty poor though and reflects on his attitude and professionalism.

Those digging out RDZ on how he has handled this need to read everything he has said on the matter and re-think. He dropped him for football reasons, has several times mentioned he thinks Rob is a great guy. Then he has refused to be part of the squad and RDZ has said it’s Sanchez decision and the door is open if he wants to sort it out. Not really sure how he could have handled his massive sulk any better if I’m honest.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I reckon 15m would get him

Shocking way to react to being dropped though.

He can be very good but he must have a massively inflated opinion of himself.
He probably has the most bling / outrageous car out of our playing squad, admittedly I’ve not seen loads , but sounds right.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He probably has the most bling / outrageous car out of our playing squad, admittedly I’ve not seen loads , but sounds right.
Your post inspired me to try and see what he has.

I've never heard of it.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Think NSC has been incredibly quick to judge big Bob ever since he was dropped. Even Connolly had more apologists, even when it was well established that he is a full grade twat.

Big Bob is probably the most talented keeper the club has ever had. He's obviously done something wrong to upset the applecart, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

If (a big if, only speculation) he doesn't get on with RDZ, then a loan move would be a great option for all. Selling him for an insulting fee would be terrible business. He's still contracted for another 2 seasons.

However, stranger things have happened. He might make amends and find himself back in favour in 23/24, although that does look very unlikely at this point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Think NSC has been incredibly quick to judge big Bob ever since he was dropped. Even Connolly had more apologists, even when it was well established that he is a full grade twat.

Big Bob is probably the most talented keeper the club has ever had. He's obviously done something wrong to upset the applecart, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

If (a big if, only speculation) he doesn't get on with RDZ, then a loan move would be a great option for all. Selling him for an insulting fee would be terrible business. He's still contracted for another 2 seasons.

However, stranger things have happened. He might make amends and find himself back in favour in 23/24, although that does look very unlikely at this point.
I agree a loan would suit, but we still need to buy a back up keeper, or has Tom McGill proved himself?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

If he's got two years left, then a loan probably isn't really an option, as it means he'll come back either needing to be sold for even less, or he waits out the final year and walks away on a free.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I feel a bit for Bob. A couple of years back he was not really on our radar as a potential future number one. There hadn't been a huge clamour to play him instead of Ryan but Potter made the surprising call and Bob's life must have changed immensely since then.

He became a PL regular, got himself a new contract and has been a regular in the Spain squad. While I don't condone what appears to be poor behaviour, I can understand why a young guy might be a bit bemused and surprised by what's happened in the last few months. Having said all that, a parting of the ways feels inevitable if someone out there offers decent money.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don’t think many are doubting his abilities but his mentally seems to be wanting and a long way from what you’d hope from a player that’s been with us since he was a child.

It’s very unlikely he’d go through his whole career as a guaranteed starter and after some costly mistakes, plus the ability to seemingly play how RDZ wants he was dropped and rather than fight for his place he stropped and gave up.

Personally I think the management change and loss of Ben Roberts had a huge impact on him and he will probably look back and acknowledge he made a mistake somewhere down the path

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
If he could have just cut out a few of those awful howlers, I think he's still be our No 1.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You’re wrong though. RDZ publicly falling out with Trossard, and the public breakdown of the relationship with Sanchez, DO hurt the club. The club ‘suffer’ to the tune of (conservative estimate) £10m in lowered transfer revenue.

Nothing at all unusual about a manager falling out with players. But RDZ really needs to grow up a bit in this single aspect of his management, and learn to keep things in-house.
I meant the team didn't suffer after Trossards departure, we didn't particularly miss him. Neither Sanchez. But yes, I'd agree with your point that these fall-outs would be better handled in-house rather than airing all our dirty linen in public. Makes for a good press conference though dunnit.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
TalkSport reporting Chelsea could let Mendy & Kepa go. Although only link Martinez & Onana as being on Chelsea’s radar

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I've never heard of it.

That is a bloody gorgeous car and a nice colour too. I am far to old to own something like that but if I was in my twenties and earning good money I’d have one! So so much better than the fat bloated SUVs that most players have and far better looking than a Porsche imo

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
If nobody bids what we want, he’ll be sent out on loan somewhere (maybe Spain, with a small loan fee) where he can improve his reputation again.

It’s not a matter of getting rid for whatever minuscule amount is offered.
Loan would be the funniest. Because Sanchez will have to actually work hard somewhere and prove himself again.

I've never heard of it.

Not a big enough baller to drive that. But sums up his ego having a car like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports