Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road rage video. Which side are you on - Team Bike or Team car?

Team Bike or Team Car?

• Team Bike

Votes: 85 41.9%
  • Team Car

Votes: 118 58.1%

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is not that dissimilar, what does a red man mean?

I am sure it clearly states "Never cross while the red man is showing."

I agree that it is overlooked as a strict rule, but if you get knocked over when crossing the road without a green man indicated it would be your fault.

Where there is no pedestrian crossing there is no red man to instruct you, but if you are specifically using a pedestrian crossing it should be used in the way it was intended and designed.

Sym - what are you going on about!?

There is no rule in the Highway code preventing you from crossing on a red man. This signal is simply informing the pedestrian of the state of the traffic lights addressing the highway therefore confirming when it is safe to cross. The is no rule that pedestrians need to obey this signal. If you got knocked over, the fault would lay where ever it would if it happened on any stretch of highway regardless of the presence of a crossing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sym - what are you going on about!?

There is no rule in the Highway code preventing you from crossing on a red man. This signal is simply informing the pedestrian of the state of the traffic lights addressing the highway therefore confirming when it is safe to cross. The is no rule that pedestrians need to obey this signal. If you got knocked over, the fault would lay where ever it would if it happened on any stretch of highway regardless of the presence of a crossing.

How to use a Pelican Crossing

At the crossing , stop at the kerb
Press the button and wait for the 'green man' signal to light up. Never cross while the red man is showing.
When the Green Man shows
Check that vehicles are stopping, then walk across, keep looking all around and listening in case a driver has not seen the crossing and does not stop.

https://www.bedford.gov.uk/transport_and_streets/road_safety/pedestrian_crossings.aspx

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I agree that it is overlooked as a strict rule, but if you get knocked over when crossing the road without a green man indicated it would be your fault.

How to use a Pelican Crossing

At the crossing , stop at the kerb
Press the button and wait for the 'green man' signal to light up. Never cross while the red man is showing.
When the Green Man shows
Check that vehicles are stopping, then walk across, keep looking all around and listening in case a driver has not seen the crossing and does not stop.

https://www.bedford.gov.uk/transport_and_streets/road_safety/pedestrian_crossings.aspx

You're confusing instructions on how to use a crossing with you suggesting there is some kind of rule or law that forces you not to cross on a red man. That simply doesn't exist, whether you find a link from Bedford Council, Lincoln or the Outer Hebrides!

My goodness. :facepalm:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You're confusing instructions on how to use a crossing with you suggesting there is some kind of rule or law that forces you not to cross on a red man. That simply doesn't exist, whether you find a link from Bedford Council, Lincoln or the Outer Hebrides!

My goodness. :facepalm:

:lolol: So why does it say "Never cross while the red man is showing."? It has to mean something whether we chose to ignore it or not.

I know we don't get fined for Jay Walking over here, but a red man can only mean one thing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use Pedestrian crossings the correct way, I just make sure the road is clear and never press the button unless it is in a location where it is dangerous to cross.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

:lolol: So why does it say "Never cross while the red man is showing."? It has to mean something whether we chose to ignore it or not.

I know we don't get fined for Jay Walking over here, but a red man can only mean one thing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't use Pedestrian crossings the correct way, I just make sure the road is clear and never press the button.

Seriously, there are no rules, laws or codes to prevent you crossing on a red man - it is a perfectly legal thing to do.

The red/green man is safety advice to pedestrians indicating when it is safe to cross. If it's clear and it's still on red, you are perfectly in your rights to cross if you deem it safe to do so. They are completely different to traffic signals where you are obliged to follow them by law.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Don't get me wrong, I don't use Pedestrian crossings the correct way, I just make sure the road is clear and never press the button unless it is in a location where it is dangerous to cross.

As I said, the highway code is not the law of the road!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Seriously, there are no rules, laws or codes to prevent you crossing on a red man - it is a perfectly legal thing to do.

The red/green man is safety advice to pedestrians indicating when it is safe to cross. If it's clear and it's still on red, you are perfectly in your rights to cross if you deem it safe to do so. They are completely different to traffic signals where you are obliged to follow them by law.

I know it is not illegal, and we can ignore them if we deem it safe.

But this is right off track to what I originally posted about which was that I don't have a problem if cyclists go through a red light at a pelican crossing if there are no pedestrians.

However I do have a problem with pedestrians pressing the pelican button when the road is clear and cross anyway, leaving cars to stop for someone who is long gone.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
The only thing that would stop all this madness on our roads is by having many many more police on the streets handing out big fines to these selfish law breakers.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know it is not illegal, and we can ignore them if we deem it safe.

But this is right off track to what I originally posted about which was that I don't have a problem if cyclists go through a red light at a pelican crossing if there are no pedestrians.

However I do have a problem with pedestrians pressing the pelican button when the road is clear and cross anyway, leaving cars to stop for someone who is long gone.

Odd that you object to someone not breaking the law but condone someone who does!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
As somebody who uses both forms of transport I'd be incredibly annoyed if a cyclist blocked me, There were already other cyclists staying out of the way of the cars he could have joined their train and been considerate to other road users.

Cyclist is also out of order being abusive to the motorist and cannot complain about getting a punch.

A case of two individuals believing they are more important than the other, neither showing the other any real human decency and therefore I vote neither

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The car driver badly in the wrong here, I hope there were cameras monitoring it so that he was clocked and fined ?

However, it does not look good for cyclists as you can clearly see two cyclists riding straight through a red light on the pedestrian crossing 45 seconds in to the clip. Oops !

It doesn't look good for car drivers, as one in the clip is behaving like an utter tool.

Why are all cyclists judged by the actions of a few while car drivers are not?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
.... And I asked you if you would be OK with a car doing the same thing in the same circumstances? I suspect not.

I see cars doing exactly the same all the time, I don't shout and scream or chase after people threaten anyone. So i suppose I am okay with it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The only thing that would stop all this madness on our roads is by having many many more police on the streets handing out big fines to these selfish law breakers.

The way to stop it is to tackle the problem of peoples selfishness and sense of entitlement. If people were taught to share and respect others as children maybe they wouldn't act like utter stains when they reach adulthood. From a young age we are taught to look after ourselves and **** everybody else, life is a race and we must get there first, don't be seen to back down or 'bottle out', greed is good and all that nonsense.

Lack of respect for others and looking out for number 1 is the problem here.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It doesn't look good for car drivers, as one in the clip is behaving like an utter tool.

Why are all cyclists judged by the actions of a few while car drivers are not?

Mnnn, lots of cars in the clip, only one driver seemingly off his head, 3 cyclists involved in the clip, two of which break the law by failing to stop at a red light, makes it easy to do the maths and come to a conclusion.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Mnnn, lots of cars in the clip, only one driver seemingly off his head, 3 cyclists involved in the clip, two of which break the law by failing to stop at a red light, makes it easy to do the maths and come to a conclusion.

Three is not a big enough sample to draw any conclusions from.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Odd that you object to someone not breaking the law but condone someone who does!

Not really, if someone knocks on your front door and runs away, it's not illegal but they are little shits. Just like the person who presses the pelican crossing button when the road is clear, then crosses, and leaves cars stopping for no one.

If the pelican crossing has no pedestrians on it I haven't got a problem with cyclist slowing down and deeming it safe to continue without stopping. I'm not going to get worked up in my car and getting all righteous about it because I have to stop.

Maybe you feel the need to shout out the window and shake your fist at them? I don't.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I don't have a problem with cyclist going through red pedestrian crossing lights if it is clear of pedestians.

But yeah that car driver was an idiot.

Do you have a problem with a car driver going through red pedestrian crossing lights if it is clear of pedestians?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Cyclist is also out of order being abusive to the motorist and cannot complain about getting a punch.

Seriously? This is where it's all wrong . Somehow if you get annoyed & shout some rude words you deserve to be assaulted. As previously mentioned, that should be left in the playground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here