Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road rage video. Which side are you on - Team Bike or Team car?

Team Bike or Team Car?

• Team Bike

Votes: 85 41.9%
  • Team Car

Votes: 118 58.1%

• Total voters

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The car driver badly in the wrong here, I hope there were cameras monitoring it so that he was clocked and fined ?

However, it does not look good for cyclists as you can clearly see two cyclists riding straight through a red light on the pedestrian crossing 45 seconds in to the clip. Oops !

They would have had to brake pretty sharpish to stop. Anyway how does their action reflect on other cyclists - but the driver's action is his as an individual.

D

Deleted member 22389

The car driver badly in the wrong here, I hope there were cameras monitoring it so that he was clocked and fined ?

However, it does not look good for cyclists as you can clearly see two cyclists riding straight through a red light on the pedestrian crossing 45 seconds in to the clip. Oops !

Both idiots then. Car for driving in the Bus Lane, and cyclists for running the lights. Good spot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They would have had to brake pretty sharpish to stop. Anyway how does their action reflect on other cyclists - but the driver's action is his as an individual.

Oh dear, so, if they were clocked by a policeman going through a red light their defence would be " Sorry Officer, we were going to fast to stop " :facepalm:

It upholds the argument about cyclists breaking the highway code with impunity. Both could have, and, should have stopped if they had been " Reading the Road ". If they could not stop under control in that distance maybe they should be traveling slower in the first place ?

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Oh dear, so, if they were clocked by a policeman going through a red light their defence would be " Sorry Officer, we were going to fast to stop " :facepalm:

It upholds the argument about cyclists breaking the highway code with impunity. Both could have, and, should have stopped if they had been " Reading the Road ". If they could not stop under control in that distance maybe they should be traveling slower in the first place ?

I have no axe to grind here. Just putting an alternative view. I have been been in both situations on a bike and a car and have made a decision to carry on rather than stop suddenly at a changing traffic light.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I don't have a problem with cyclist going through red pedestrian crossing lights if it is clear of pedestians.

But yeah that car driver was an idiot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have no axe to grind here. Just putting an alternative view. I have been been in both situations on a bike and a car and have made a decision to carry on rather than stop suddenly at a changing traffic light.

Traffic lights are designed so that if you can't stop in the time it's going orange, you ARE going too fast.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't have a problem with cyclist going through red pedestrian crossing lights if it is clear of pedestians.

But yeah that car driver was an idiot.

Why? Would you be OK with a car doing it in the same circumstances?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I said "I don't have a problem with cyclist going through red pedestrian crossing lights if it is clear of pedestians."

And we are back to square one again ! :facepalm: so, anyone else allowed to make up the rules as they go along ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I said "I don't have a problem with cyclist going through red pedestrian crossing lights if it is clear of pedestians."

.... And I asked you if you would be OK with a car doing the same thing in the same circumstances? I suspect not.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And we are back to square one again ! :facepalm: so, anyone else allowed to make up the rules as they go along ?

No, only cyclists, apparently. Remarkable arrogance.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

That's not really what I'm saying. If I see a bike doing it, I am not sitting in my car getting angry, therefore I do not have a problem with it. I am not talking about traffic lights at junctions, just lights at a pedestrian crossing when there is no one crossing.

When I am a pedestrian at a pedestrian crossing, if the road is clear I will not press the button to get a green man, I will progress even though the man is red.

How do you use a pedestrian crossing as a pedestian?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
When you are a pedestrian at pedestrian crossings, do you always press the button and wait for a green man?

That's not comparable at all to breaking the law by running through a red light.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's not comparable at all to breaking the law by running through a red light.

It is not that dissimilar, what does a red man mean?

I am sure it clearly states "Never cross while the red man is showing."

I agree that it is overlooked as a strict rule, but if you get knocked over when crossing the road without a green man indicated it would be your fault.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is not that dissimilar, what does a red man mean?

I am sure it clearly states "Never cross while the red man is showing."

I agree that it is overlooked as a strict rule, but if you get knocked over when crossing the road without a green man indicated it would be your fault.

How do you ever cross the road when there aren't any traffic lights around?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Which of course you never do.

I doubt there is a driver reading this who has not made the same decision. That is what happens.

Of course I have occasionally - including one time I got 3 points for doing so. But every time, I realised I was going too fast and had made an error of judgment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Most (not all) cyclists don't follow the rules of the road. The proportion of car drivers doing similar is far lower. The cyclist in the video obviously sees himself as some kind of enforcer. Too big for his boots. Got what he deserved. Team car all the way.

Have you any statistics to back that up? I would suggest that, at some stage, most drivers break the law. Go on a motorway and see how many drivers are sticking to 70mph!

As for some of the other comments, I believe I am correct in saying that, rather like the Pirates Code in Pirates of the Caribbean, the code is not the law, just a set of guidelines. The law is in fact the Road Traffic Act with it's various amendments in which some of the penalties are based on the guidelines in the Highway Code.

With regard to pedestrian crossings, there is no law that states you must not cross when a 'red man' is showing however it is against the law for a motorist or cyclist to go through the corresponding red light. With regard to the amber light, you only stop if it is safe to do so. However, there is no excuse for not stopping when it changes red. There should be adequate time to slow down and stop whilst the light is amber so you don't cross the solid white line as the light turns red.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here