Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Road rage video. Which side are you on - Team Bike or Team car?

Team Bike or Team Car?

• Team Bike

Votes: 85 41.9%
  • Team Car

Votes: 118 58.1%

• Total voters

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Interestingly most cyclists are also car drivers yet most car drivers don't cycle.

I think if they did, they might get an understanding of why cyclists feel threatened by car drivers and often point out when they are driving unsafely or contravening traffic rules.

It's not until I started cycling as part of my commute that I actually realised how dangerous it is. Most days I am nearly knocked off my bike by people driving too close or cutting me up. It can be terrifying as if someone knocks you at 30 miles an hour, you have a real chance of a significant injury or something far worse.

Yep some cyclists do stupid things. But there is a certain mentality that seems to affect some people when they get into a car. It's not often that two cyclists kick off with each other or two motor cyclists, but car drivers are always at it, with cyclists, motor bikes and other car drivers. Maybe there's a certain amount of stress we are all under when driving due to the heightened state of concentration that's required.

In the video, the audi driver is driving aggressively, it's clear from how he positions his car and also when he drives off. The guy on the bike is stupid for confronting him, but that doesn't justify him getting punched.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Interestingly most cyclists are also car drivers yet most car drivers don't cycle.

I think if they did, they might get an understanding of why cyclists feel threatened by car drivers and often point out when they are driving unsafely or contravening traffic rules.

It's not until I started cycling as part of my commute that I actually realised how dangerous it is. Most days I am nearly knocked off my bike by people driving too close or cutting me up. It can be terrifying as if someone knocks you at 30 miles an hour, you have a real chance of a significant injury or something far worse.

Yep some cyclists do stupid things. But there is a certain mentality that seems to affect some people when they get into a car. It's not often that two cyclists kick off with each other or two motor cyclists, but car drivers are always at it, with cyclists, motor bikes and other car drivers. Maybe there's a certain amount of stress we are all under when driving due to the heightened state of concentration that's required.

In the video, the audi driver is driving aggressively, it's clear from how he positions his car and also when he drives off. The guy on the bike is stupid for confronting him, but that doesn't justify him getting punched.

Spot on.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
One thing that stands out for me from all these video's on road rage and from my own experience of driving or cycling is that there are lots of very unhappy people.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Don't agree - take a look on youtube plenty of evidence of cyclists now ignoring road rules, running lights and generally cycling too fast.

Yeah there are cocks in cars and plenty of them but the percentage of cyclists that are cycling irresponsibly is far more than drivers these days.

If the council hadn't squeezed the lanes, clogged up the main roads and blocked up short cuts and now slowed cars down so bikes are actually moving faster (we have bikes breaking the 20mph limit now) perhaps cycling to work would be safer.

Go to Amsterdam you will see plenty of bike accidents and arguments but I've seen a fight on old shoreham road because one cyclist thought it was ok to cycle the wrong way against another cyclist.

Its not just cyclists and cars either - go down the seafront and watch the incidents between bikes and pedestrians when a pedestrian crosses the bike lane or a cyclist is riding too fast in that lane.

Its the councils doing everything they can to make it easier to tax cars and parking, how does creating congestion and forcing cars into one lane doing anyone any good. Every main road in Brighton and Hove is clogged up at rush hours and its mainly because cars have been forced into one lane and now to drive at 20MPH.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
i am utterly stunned by a number of the comments i am reading! (i am an audi driver and cycle 250+ miles a week)

the car should not have moved forward into the cycle only box, it's there for a reason. that reason is to give cyclists the additional time and space to safely move away and get moving ahead of the cars. this was the catalyst of the whole scenario, the driver can therefor never be in the right, he started it. he didn't make an error, he wasn't apologetic for his mistake, it was deliberate.

if a cyclist makes contact with a car he will regret it, but he will not endanger the motorist or its passengers, the worst he may do is cause damage to the vehicle. if a car makes contact with a cyclist the chances of killing or seriously injuring the cyclist are considerably higher. there is more at risk. cyclists have a responsibility to ride safely and ensure they give pedestrians the right of way, why, because they could seriously hurt a pedestrian. motorists have a very serious responsibility to drive safely around cyclists, because they could easily kill them if they do not. a car is a very serious weapon in the hands of an idiot, against very vulnerable cyclists, and pedestrians.

in my mind it's a simple as that, the car should not have been in the box, he got too close to cyclists, and subsequently took unacceptable risks with someone else's life.

the cyclist reacted passionately about the way in which the Audi driver showed blatant disregard for his safety or the safety of the other cyclists, and pedestrians for that matter, he drove away far too fast.

i can understand the cyclists reaction. considering the motorists behaviour, and his blatant disregard for the measures in place to try and enforce an acceptable standard of driving to protect cyclists and all road users.

what i cannot understand, and do not believe any of you should be justifying is anyone in the car physically assaulting the cyclist for verbally expressing his feelings. if someone calls you a pr!ck that does not condone violence, especially when you're acting like a pr!ck

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Team pedestrian.

This!

NSC is often full of people complaining about the state of the country, be it young people not showing enough respect, foreign types, we're going to hell in a hand cart!!!

Then a video shows a man sorting out a dispute with his fists (after being in the wrong in the first place) and almost 60% of people are TEAM CAR!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
it's not a shame at all, the cyclist was trying to do the right thing and calm the situation down.

Because of course the worst thing in the video is the cyclist being seen as a 'bottler'? Some people left that shit behind on the playground

Abso-clucking-lutely - I don't understand why people can't cope with being called a rude name, it's so bloody puerile!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
yep...theres the usual suspects on the thread whose calculation is decided on whether the cyclist could 'back it up' haha...

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
because you dont see why the driver is so angry, just that he has obviously been called a wanker......

theres no reason for him being so angry and swinging, theres never any need for violence, the cyclist obviously didnt say much as he knew it was being filmed,

why not post the first incident? or was the cyclist in the wrong?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Don't agree - take a look on youtube plenty of evidence of cyclists now ignoring road rules, running lights and generally cycling too fast.

Yeah there are cocks in cars and plenty of them but the percentage of cyclists that are cycling irresponsibly is far more than drivers these days.

If the council hadn't squeezed the lanes, clogged up the main roads and blocked up short cuts and now slowed cars down so bikes are actually moving faster (we have bikes breaking the 20mph limit now) perhaps cycling to work would be safer.

Go to Amsterdam you will see plenty of bike accidents and arguments but I've seen a fight on old shoreham road because one cyclist thought it was ok to cycle the wrong way against another cyclist.

Its not just cyclists and cars either - go down the seafront and watch the incidents between bikes and pedestrians when a pedestrian crosses the bike lane or a cyclist is riding too fast in that lane.

Its the councils doing everything they can to make it easier to tax cars and parking, how does creating congestion and forcing cars into one lane doing anyone any good. Every main road in Brighton and Hove is clogged up at rush hours and its mainly because cars have been forced into one lane and now to drive at 20MPH.

The roads are clogged at rush hour because there are too many people driving over fairly short distances on journeys that could and should be taken by another mode of transport. There are too many kids being driven to school on journeys they could cycle or walk but "the roads are too dangerous".

The speed of the cyclist being hit by a vehicle is somewhat irrelevant - it is the speed of the vehicle that brings the most energy to the incident that affects the outcome the most. Do you have any citation to show where cycle speed is a contributory factor in any crashes? Also, if it's faster to travel by bike, why not do so? Cities are for people, not vehicles.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Mostly team car for me but in this incident I'd say the car was in the wrong.
Driving along Lewes Road daily I'd love to see a copper booking all the bikes that A/ fly through red lights and B/ have no lights on the bike in the evening and wear dark clothes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to Wikipedia

In an urban environment, there are no typical speeds for a person riding a bicycle; an elderly person on a sit-up-and-beg style roadster might do less than 10 km/h (6.2 mph) while a fitter, younger person could easily do twice that on the same bicycle. For cyclists in Copenhagen, the average cycling speed is 15.5 km/h (9.6 mph).[6]

On a fast racing bicycle, a reasonably fit rider can ride at 50 km/h (31 mph) on flat ground for short periods.[citation needed]​

Just to put into perspective what sort of speeds bicycles travel.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The roads are clogged at rush hour because there are too many people driving over fairly short distances on journeys that could and should be taken by another mode of transport. There are too many kids being driven to school on journeys they could cycle or walk but "the roads are too dangerous".

The speed of the cyclist being hit by a vehicle is somewhat irrelevant - it is the speed of the vehicle that brings the most energy to the incident that affects the outcome the most. Do you have any citation to show where cycle speed is a contributory factor in any crashes? Also, if it's faster to travel by bike, why not do so? Cities are for people, not vehicles.

Physics in action ! One point often overlooked is the fact that cycles can't brake as fast as other vehicles on the road especially if the brakes are poorly maintained and the conditions are wet. Throw in to this the fact that cyclists have invested a lot of energy to get up to speed and really don't like braking, unless they have to, or they lose hard earned momentum.

I always worry about walking along the Undercliff East of the Marina, some bikes belt along doing a good 20-25 mph and speed past me from behind almost soundlessly. The section by the little cafe at Ovingdean has instructions to cyclists to dismount but is routinely ignored by70-80 % of cyclists which isn't helpful when you have combination of people and dogs and cyclists crisscrossing the Undercliff.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The section by the little cafe at Ovingdean has instructions to cyclists to dismount but is routinely ignored by70-80 % of cyclists which isn't helpful when you have combination of people and dogs and cyclists crisscrossing the Undercliff.

I go down there occasionally and there never looks to be a problem to me. If cyclists don't dismount they slow down so as not to be an issue. I have not seen many cyclists belting along there either - certainly not around the cafe. It all seems to work well on the undercliff - I am surprised you perceive it as a problem area.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Most (not all) cyclists don't follow the rules of the road. The proportion of car drivers doing similar is far lower. The cyclist in the video obviously sees himself as some kind of enforcer. Too big for his boots. Got what he deserved. Team car all the way.

D

Deleted member 22389

I go down there occasionally and there never looks to be a problem to me. If cyclists don't dismount they slow down so as not to be an issue. I have not seen many cyclists belting along there either - certainly not around the cafe. It all seems to work well on the undercliff - I am surprised you perceive it as a problem area.

I always get off my bike, however I have seen cyclists ignore the sign, I wish they wouldn't. I don't want to give anyone ammunition to have a go when it is busy down there. In the winter when nobody is down there, then fine.

It's the same when I cycle on the road, cycle properly and nobody can have a go. Anyone that does is obviosuly a **** who hates cyclists and obviously has sleepless nights about them. My last incident was about 3 weeks ago when some idiot tried squeezing past as I was going through the island. The stupid idiot nearly knocked me off my bike. What annoys me is the spacial awareness of some car drivers, this driver couldn't even see what they did wrong, and this is the problem. Be good if some drivers actually got on a bicycle to see what it is like on the road because sometimes it is bloody frustrating for cyclists. I also drive, so I see both sides.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The car driver badly in the wrong here, I hope there were cameras monitoring it so that he was clocked and fined ?

However, it does not look good for cyclists as you can clearly see two cyclists riding straight through a red light on the pedestrian crossing 45 seconds in to the clip. Oops !

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
i am utterly stunned by a number of the comments i am reading! (i am an audi driver and cycle 250+ miles a week)

the car should not have moved forward into the cycle only box, it's there for a reason. that reason is to give cyclists the additional time and space to safely move away and get moving ahead of the cars. this was the catalyst of the whole scenario, the driver can therefor never be in the right, he started it. he didn't make an error, he wasn't apologetic for his mistake, it was deliberate.

if a cyclist makes contact with a car he will regret it, but he will not endanger the motorist or its passengers, the worst he may do is cause damage to the vehicle. if a car makes contact with a cyclist the chances of killing or seriously injuring the cyclist are considerably higher. there is more at risk. cyclists have a responsibility to ride safely and ensure they give pedestrians the right of way, why, because they could seriously hurt a pedestrian. motorists have a very serious responsibility to drive safely around cyclists, because they could easily kill them if they do not. a car is a very serious weapon in the hands of an idiot, against very vulnerable cyclists, and pedestrians.

in my mind it's a simple as that, the car should not have been in the box, he got too close to cyclists, and subsequently took unacceptable risks with someone else's life.

the cyclist reacted passionately about the way in which the Audi driver showed blatant disregard for his safety or the safety of the other cyclists, and pedestrians for that matter, he drove away far too fast.

i can understand the cyclists reaction. considering the motorists behaviour, and his blatant disregard for the measures in place to try and enforce an acceptable standard of driving to protect cyclists and all road users.

what i cannot understand, and do not believe any of you should be justifying is anyone in the car physically assaulting the cyclist for verbally expressing his feelings. if someone calls you a pr!ck that does not condone violence, especially when you're acting like a pr!ck

All of this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here