(Riverside) Mike Dean

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Generally I find the Sky commentary of Championship games pretty fair to both sides but Don Goodman especially seemed to waving his red and white scarf yesterday and Bill Leslie was not his usual objective self. Those in the studio - even Wurzel - were much more balanced.

That's the way I saw it too.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Mike Dean - in response to Ramirez' gamesmanship - has potentially messed up the last 3 or 4 games of the season for us.

How is that right ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That's the way I saw it too.

Wurzel likes the Albion, Beagrie has northern sympathies but usually just about keeps them in check.

I was disappointed in the main commentator and pundit on Saturday, moreso with the fact they were already talking about Brighton's probable showdown with Sheff Wed as early as the 52nd minute, then followed up with "but Brighton aren't out of this yet" as we swept towards their goal.

A particular bug bear of mine is when pundits and commentators 'call' the game when there's still ages to play, the worst culprit being Paul "65 minutes gone here, they've gone 2-0 up, game over Geoff" Merson.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Nope. We finished in third place because over the course of the season we failed to win more points than Boro (or Burnley) and conceded more goals than Boro. That is the culmination of 46 games. It is as much to do with failing to beat ten man Wolves even with the promising position of a penalty kick. Failing to beat the division's whipping boys, Bolton. Losing by three goals to Boro at home. Losing to a struggling Rotherham. It's because we visited Hull and managed only one shot on target. It's because when Wednesday visited the Amex we managed a big fat zero shots on target. It's because of one win in 10 v the other 5 top 6 teams. It's letting a two goal lead slip v QPR. It's every single game. It's the wrong team selection in certain matches, the wrong substitutions from Hughton. It's the wrong decisions and poor performances from our players. It is also the good play of our opponents, the smart team selection/tactics/substitutions from our opponents. All of this factors into where we finish at the end of the season.

I agree with many people that Dean's decision is wrong. But it did not cost us promotion. I am always reluctant to even accept that a refereeing mistake decides a match, it most certainly does not decide a season.

Broadly this but it did culminate with three teams 15 or 16 points clear of sixth place and all on 88 points going in to the final push. 88 points. Ffs that would be enough to see us home and hosed most seasons but I disagree on one point. It was whatever happened at half time vs. Derby. We came out looking knackered and disinterested and only started to push in the last 8 minutes or so. Had we won there then we would have gone up at the weekend because we know how to beat Boro and the draw w old have been good enough for us.

Dean was shockingly bad. I think he felt guilty because he reffed the Norwich/Boro final last year and thought he'd give them a pass this year.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
On looking at this at one point a boro player, think leadbetter, stands there and does a motion to suggest Stephens followed through and down Ramirez and dean is standing by him and appears to agree. Also one of the most telling things from the tackle is that the sock of Ramirez is not torn or even moved down showing there was no downward motion and is a puncture wound from him kicking studs on bottom of Stephens boot on his way through.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And it won't be rescinded as we could then ask for a replay etc
With the money involved anything could happen and the FL wouldn't want to chance it
Have you forgotten to add capitals? In the history of football, has there ever been a replay because of the FA overturning a red card decision? No of course not.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
And Norwich media:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/six_th...atest_dose_of_premier_league_misery_1_4527920

Busy pipping Brighton to automatic promotion from the Championship, Middlesbrough laid their Wembley ghost to rest in their latest promotion play-off. Well, it was unlikely they would arrive late for a game at their own ground.

With the helping hand of a truly terrible decision to send off Dale Stephens, the celebrations at the Riverside Stadium were no doubt as good as they come for the Boro faithful. And yet, they will have only emphasised to Norwich City just how transient English football can be.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
And the pricks at 442?

And although Dale Stephens did give Chris Hughton's the visitors hope by heading them level on 55 minutes, the midfielder saw red moments later for a wild challenge on Gaston Ramirez.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The other official changed it to red

That's not the way it works. The referee is the final arbiter. He can overrule assistants; it happens all the time.

Dean had a clear unobstructed view of it and immediately pulled the yellow. He was within his rights to say "I had a clear view. Thank you but I'm sticking with my decision". A good ref would always do that if he had a better view than the assistant some 30 yards away.

The assistant nonsense is just a handy cover-up. Dean was intimidated by the three or four Boro players who got in his face and Ramirez knocking the yellow out of his hand (which is a yellow card in itself), and then took the "seriousness" of the injury into account - something a ref should never do.

Was the challenge "reckless" or "dangerous"? Absolutely not. Maybe unfortunate and unlucky for Ramirez but that's what happens when you play sport.

Dean was either totally incompetent or was cheating. I really hope it was the former but either way he set a shocking example to youngsters coming into refereeing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports