Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Rishi sunak

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
1. 9 days ago the Tory Government voted against labour's amendment for a windfall tax with a majority of 62. Now they've done a U-turn and brought it in. Absolute shambles. Try getting it right the first time - their political opponents called for this months ago.

Perhaps Starmer should be renamed Captain Foresight!

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
if we have more flexible approach to gas extraction we'd have cheaper energy. its expensive due to policy.

Nail on the head, wholesale gas prices have recently crashed to 2020 levels yet bills will increase significantly the next time the cap is reviewed.

0A2C1B0C-DA4F-4760-9BD2-921074522FA7.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem with Rishi Sunak is he eventually runs out of other people's money...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The problem with Rishi Sunak is he eventually runs out of other people's money...

The problem with Boris (as Mayor) was that when he ran out of other people's money he didn't have anything to show for it.

Sorry that's not true. They allowed him to build that Helter Skelter on the Olympic Park.

It was £13m in debt in 2019 because he borrowed the money.

https://arcelormittalorbit.com/about/about-the-arcelormittal-orbit/

"The ambitious plan to build the ArcelorMittal Orbit came from a chance conversation between former London Mayor, Boris Johnson, and...."

I stopped reading after that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm generally in support of not means testing public benefits, but bunging £300 to winter fuel allowance recipients, i.e. every single person over 65, seems to be completely shameless.

They are mostly Tory voters, after all.....

As somebody who is over 65, and who has never voted Tory in my life, and couldn’t ever see myself doing so, I totally agree.

Somebody on the radio today suggested donating to one of the many excellent Fuel Poverty charities around, which we will probably end up doing. …. If we can identify one. Without being super rich, we should be able to cope with rises in energy prices. Other people need it more than us.

I don’t know how it could be better targeted, and if it were to be means tested, I guess that would mean it would need to be applied for, and if it needed to be applied for, some people who really need it could either just miss it, not find out about it, or not apply through misguided pride.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You mean the very thing they were so against last week? Isn't it funny that they're now dangling this in front of everyone since further pictures and information about No.10 parties have come out.

Let's hope there are more pictures to come - they may bung us even more bungs!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why does this payment have to be fuel related? Why not just make a payment and allow individuals to decide where best to use the money?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The problem with Boris (as Mayor) was that when he ran out of other people's money he didn't have anything to show for it.

Sorry that's not true. They allowed him to build that Helter Skelter on the Olympic Park.

It was £13m in debt in 2019 because he borrowed the money.

https://arcelormittalorbit.com/about/about-the-arcelormittal-orbit/

"The ambitious plan to build the ArcelorMittal Orbit came from a chance conversation between former London Mayor, Boris Johnson, and...."

I stopped reading after that.

Wasn’t Johnson shagging someone’s wife and also got the husband to pay for this folly? Truly cuckolded.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
back to Sunak and his wife , she has done very well out of furlough payments but still managed to go tits up on numerous ventures owing HMRC a small fortune , when my brother went bankrupt he lived in a bedsit for 4 years with hardly any furniture , the ***** bailiffs even took his car off him so he couldn't work and yet societal ***** like this can just do whatever ....40 million in furlough payments but still went tits up...??

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
They only act when forced into action rather than any coherent plan

The cost of living crisis has been compounded by 40 years of Thatcherite policies, having a privitised economy and smaller state to the detriment of the consumer and benefit of shareholders

Also the current government enforced 10 years of austerity, unneccesarily, where the deficit increased and borrowing is higher than ever, meaning they have less in the pot. They will have to raise taxes, more quantative easing and more borrowing. This is exarcerbated by Brexit disaster which has cost the country 100's of Billions.

Our children and their children will pay the price for years of Tory economic failure

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
back to Sunak and his wife , she has done very well out of furlough payments but still managed to go tits up on numerous ventures owing HMRC a small fortune , when my brother went bankrupt he lived in a bedsit for 4 years with hardly any furniture , the ***** bailiffs even took his car off him so he couldn't work and yet societal ***** like this can just do whatever ....40 million in furlough payments but still went tits up...??

I find it quite incredible Sunak is Chancelor, how is it you can be one of the architechts of the 2008 financial crash which the country is still paying the price for and end up running the economy? He obviously didn't lose a penny.....

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I find it quite incredible Sunak is Chancelor, how is it you can be one of the architechts of the 2008 financial crash which the country is still paying the price for and end up running the economy? He obviously didn't lose a penny.....

mind boggling isn't it , it looks like politics is the only career in which you are rewarded for abject failure.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You mean the very thing they were so against last week? Isn't it funny that they're now dangling this in front of everyone since further pictures and information about No.10 parties have come out.
I caught a bit of loose women yesterday, thick as shit mugs like Linda Robson absolutely love Boris still

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They only act when forced into action rather than any coherent plan

The cost of living crisis has been compounded by 40 years of Thatcherite policies, having a privitised economy and smaller state to the detriment of the consumer and benefit of shareholders

Also the current government enforced 10 years of austerity, unneccesarily, where the deficit increased and borrowing is higher than ever, meaning they have less in the pot. They will have to raise taxes, more quantative easing and more borrowing. This is exarcerbated by Brexit disaster which has cost the country 100's of Billions.

Our children and their children will pay the price for years of Tory economic failure

do love how you Trot out the cliches, unaware one contradicts the other - if there was such austerity, how come so much more was borrowed?

China state control economy has been on and off for over a year impacting supply chains. oil prices risen globally, gas price surged in europe. then there's a war impacting prices of basic foods, fertiliser and minerals... but Thatcherism to blame. :rolleyes:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Others will understand all this better than me, but it seems to me that our government sat back and watched the energy companies engage in rampant profiteering, pretty much doubling our bills overnight (whilst the French government for example, forced on them a +4% cap). And now, in need of a quick populist boost, hit those energy companies with a (Labour proposed) windfall tax, to give most of us a small percentage of our cash back?

It will work of course, because the voting population is selfish, stupid and has a very short memory.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Others will understand all this better than me, but it seems to me that our government sat back and watched the energy companies engage in rampant profiteering, pretty much doubling our bills overnight (whilst the French government for example, forced on them a +4% cap). And now, in need of a quick populist boost, hit those energy companies with a (Labour proposed) windfall tax, to give most of us a small percentage of our cash back?

It will work of course, because the voting population is selfish, stupid and has a very short memory.

energy companies are losing money (many suppliers gone bust), buying gas at market and capped on billing. gas producers have made exceptional profits. about everywhere in europe similar 50-65% increases, after applying caps or tax reductions to help. France is an outlier funding their 4% cap with €8bn to avoid EDF going bankrupt as a result. maybe if we had as much nuclear we could have done similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here