Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] RIP thread Protocol?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The logic that people feel the OP should explain who the dead person is strikes me as bizarre. Not EVERY thread needs to be opened.

I find it hard to believe anyone knows the names of absolutely everyone involved in their life, the name of everyone involved in every film, tv show, song, football club, etc. that has had an impact on their life and have the instant recall at the moment their name appears in a thread title. And equally hard to believe that the moment they see a forgotten name they would have a little thing in your mind go off saying 'I know that name from somewhere, I should google it' (I'm sure for some of the names it would, but not all of them).

When I see an RIP thread and I don't recognise the name I look at it see if there's some indication of who they are in case it is one of those people for me - someone from my life whose name is not instantly remembered or someone who never sought fame or attention but was a key figure in something I loved.

If not I usually move on and ignore it. But that can result in someone not getting respect they deserve because someone didn't add a line or two saying who they were (and admittedly because I didn't recognise their name enough to think I should google it).

You appear to have edited while I was replying

My comment was about the bizarre view that the OP of a RIP thread is doing it for some sort of kick

And I apologise if I upset you. On message boards there are commonly people who want to start a thread first, people who have performative moral outrage or performative mourning. You can look at some of the music threads for how people are accused of trying to be snobbish. These aren't unusual accusations on message boards. On reflection, though, it was probably unnecessary to have used such inflammatory suggestions. While I am sure there is some of this involved, I am also sure it is rare enough to not be needed to used in such a way.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm happy to be the NSC arbiter of who does and doesn't deserve an RIP thread, if the position is open. Just run it by me via PM before you start a thread and I'll give you the all clear.

E.g. Newton-John? Yep go ahead. Darius? No. Sidney Poitier? Yes. James Caan? NO

Arbiter, pray tell us the difference between No and NO

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I know NSC is a broard church but surely RIP threads should be saved for Brighton/football, Brighton/Sussex folk and those that are exceptionally famous/shocking.
Seems to be at least one every day and most are so bloody random!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Surely it is not you that is targeted , in my opinion you made a very good point with a great example on the other thread , but the person that first posted " not meaning to be disrepectful but who ? " . That person must have realised that putting that caveat simply meant they really knew they were indeed being exactly that !

Thanks. While my being targeted was meant light-heartedly, it was probably one of those 'not the right time/place to discuss this' things.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I know NSC is a broard church but surely RIP threads should be saved for Brighton/football, Brighton/Sussex folk and those that are exceptionally famous/shocking.
Seems to be at least one every day and most are so bloody random!

I disagree. Sadly I've learned of the passing of many that I might not otherwise have realised thanks to NSC. I'm grateful for such threads and the often interesting backstory's.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Ahaaa…that would be me.

I genuinely didn’t know who it was and assuming the OP needed to put on that the said person had died, I didn’t want to appear disrespectful. Hense I asked the question…who?

But I understand that my comments have caused angst and upset etc etc, therefore I respectfully withdraw my comment and will pass it by drew next time

Thank you for your reply , my post was meant more in a defence of [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] than to call you out . I understand that you did not know who Darius was and also now see that with the thread merger it clouded the fact you were replying to drew rather than the now first post on this combined thread which does include a link to more info . I suppose that the fact that i instantly knew who he was says a lot about me and the stuff i watch !

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Blimey. I'll be glad when the season starts, and we can all start talking about football again.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP Fred Proto Cole……

He lived by a certain set of rules and had his own system

Will be sorely missed

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
So what is the protocol on threads discussing the protocol on RIP threads ?

Shouldn't that be a matter for the member in charge of setting protocol, rather than a question for the whole forum?

If we allowed anyone to answer questions on protocol, it would result in people like me answering them.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Having read the thread the in question, an argument could easily have been avoided if someone had told Dave who asked in a polite way who he was (no, me neither by the way). If you want an argument, this place has always been one where one can be had RIP thread or not.

There are 8 billion people in the world. We can't have an RIP thread everytime someone who got knocked out of talent factor pegs it and it shouldnt be shock of the day when someone doesn't know who it is.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As a rule I don't bother at all with RIP threads. Only very occasional exceptions.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Getting upset (and starting a thread) because not everyone had the same reaction to or respect for some little known talent show contestant? Jesus wept. There’s “thread protocol”’and there’s acting like a big girls blouse.
Get over yourself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here