Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Socrates

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Brazil legend Socrates has died, a bit sad that, he was only in his 50s too.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Really, he was top notch. I guess his 50 a day habit did not serve him too well in the end. RIP>

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really, he was top notch. I guess his 50 a day habit did not serve him too well in the end. RIP>

Yes, I remember he was often cited as an example of an athlete who smoked.

Sad to see him go so young, he was a fantastic player. Didn't he make some weird comeback for a Northern non-league team about 10 years ago? Played one game and then buggered off.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Rip. I remember the fanfare when he came to play for garforth even though he didnt actually play much for them in the end financially it did wonders for the club! Great footballer and watched plenty of videos of him in the past,

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Yes, I remember he was often cited as an example of an athlete who smoked.

Sad to see him go so young, he was a fantastic player. Didn't he make some weird comeback for a Northern non-league team about 10 years ago? Played one game and then buggered off.

Garforth town which is in Leeds

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
'82 World Cup was probably his finest hour and a superb player as well.

However Brazil met their nemesis in the form of a resurgent Paulo Rossi who was just incredible during that World Cup.

RIP

Last edited:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I never really saw him play as I was three in 82, so I only know of him by his reputation for political activism (plus YouTube clips and his general awesomeness in the Classic Brazil sides in Pro Evolution Soccer). A couple of quotes from his obituary on the BBC website seem to sum him up quite nicely:

"People gave me power as a popular footballer," he told the BBC in July 2010.

"If people don't have power to say things, then I can say it on their behalf. If I was on the other side, not the side of the people, there would not be anyone to listen to my opinions.

"The best thing that football gave me was the chance to get to know human beings. I got to meet people who suffered a lot and also those on the other side of society, who had everything, so I could see both sides of the society we live in."

However, he came face-to-face with most of the suffering people in his own surgery.

The qualified doctor, who refused to play football professionally until he completed his studies aged 25, practised medicine in the Brazilian town of Ribeirao Preto when he hung up his boots in 1989.

I doubt there'll ever be another like him.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Liked a drink too. First World Cup I can really remember ('82) he was outstanding.

Totally agree!! that was a cracking world cup( one of the best).

A great loss to football, he was a class player who I remember from Spain 82.

R.I.P

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Perhaps we should have a minutes silence for him as well. We have them for everybody else, that 99% of the population didn't know personally...Half of these people don't even bother visiting their own parents graves. Yet openly grieve for people they don't know.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A big, fat chain-smoker who played brilliantly for one of the all-time great world cup sides in one of the greatest of world cups. RIP big fella, we really won't see the likes of him again.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
A wonderful player. The fact that he smoked & drank himself to death is even more ironic considering he was a qualified doctor. RIP fella.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A wonderful player. The fact that he smoked & drank himself to death is even more ironic considering he was a qualified doctor. RIP fella.

Even more amazing, he qualified whilst playing pro football. Under all that hair he was probably the most intelligent and well qualified footballer ever.

[yt]BvYRqsRZ7vE[/yt]

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Before my time but heard so much about what a great player Socrates was in Brazil teams. 57 is too young to die even with the lifestyle he led.

RIP Socrates. :down:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Who remembers David Narys corker against Brazil in the '82 world cup, superb goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here