Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rip OFF Britain

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Yes. We are being ripped off. I always take a crab sandwich, 1 Malted Milk biscuit and a flask of weak lemon juice with me.

Simon-Quinlank.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The sensible answer is that if they were too expensive, no-one would buy them. Until such time as sales drop off significantly, the price will remain. It's called supply and demand.

I think sales are dropping off big time. Last 2 games at The Amex, before our friendly stewards start hounding us out of the building, there have been huge numbers of pies left in the cabinets and similar numbers being thrown out. At least 20 pre-poured Harveys also left on the counter. The Amex honeymoon period for the caterers looks to be over-probably coinciding with the shite being served up on the pitch. I still buy an occasional pie but nowhere near as many as the first couple of seasons.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I think sales are dropping off big time. Last 2 games at The Amex, before our friendly stewards start hounding us out of the building, there have been huge numbers of pies left in the cabinets and similar numbers being thrown out. At least 20 pre-poured Harveys also left on the counter. The Amex honeymoon period for the caterers looks to be over-probably coinciding with the shite being served up on the pitch. I still buy an occasional pie but nowhere near as many as the first couple of seasons.

now youve migrated to the posh part of the ground.....two pies per match isnt the done thing eh xx

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think sales are dropping off big time. Last 2 games at The Amex, before our friendly stewards start hounding us out of the building, there have been huge numbers of pies left in the cabinets and similar numbers being thrown out

You'd like to think that something - anything! - more beneficial could be done with the leftover pies other than just chuck them away for no doubt elfin safety reasons. Give them to the kids that work in the kiosks, or to Kemy Agustien, either free or at a hefty discount, flog them to the punters en route to Falmer station, bus them over to Brighton station, link up with a local soup kitchen or homeless charity. Anything other than throw them out shirley.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
now youve migrated to the posh part of the ground.....two pies per match isnt the done thing eh xx

I thought the seats would be a bit wider but looks like diet is the only option.

You'd like to think that something - anything! - more beneficial could be done with the leftover pies other than just chuck them away for no doubt elfin safety reasons. Give them to the kids that work in the kiosks, or to Kemy Agustien, either free or at a hefty discount, flog them to the punters en route to Falmer station, bus them over to Brighton station, link up with a local soup kitchen or homeless charity. Anything other than throw them out shirley.

This.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Could be that some end up over in the North Stand, I thought somebody said they were flogging them for £1 each earlier in the season to get rid of them but they don't do it in WSL. Definitely seen loads being thrown out. Such a waste.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So let's discuss. 20,000 crowd. How many would buy at what price?
Starting with costs. Shall we say £1.25 per pie includes all staff etc costs. Here we'll ignore vat just for ease.
As a rough idea let's say 15,000 would buy at £2.50 thus £18,750 profit
Second year we up it to £3 and many bring their own food so 12,000 @ £3 = £21,000 profit.
TB thinks 'let's go higher' and puts them up to £3.50 for year three but by now only 9,000 buy them @ £3.50 = £20,250 First cut in profits.
Year four it's £4.10 and by now it's a loyal 7,000 @£4.10 = £19,950 profit.
You could get technical and say that to sell fewer the 'per item' cost goes up due to wages being split across the total items. But what can be seen is that upping the profit only goes up if only a few drop out of purchasing the pie.
Me? I'm a burger and Harveys man, always will be unless the price hits ??????

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think MK Dongs also get their pies from Piglets but charge less. It may work out a bit cheaper with the e-cash thing but I've never managed to get that to work.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I live in outer London. It is generally a myth that London in general is expensive. OK, obviously some shops are and some places such as round Victoria, Leicester Square etc. Brighton used to be fine price wise but have the place generally in recent years decided they can charge OTT?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wigan charged two-pound-something for their pie the other day. When I commented on how cheap that seemed, she said a lot of Albion fans had mentioned that.

Then I saw they were charging £4.10 (might have been more) for a pint.

The north-south divide is there when it suits them, so it seems.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Think they've messed up here, I used to buy pie & pint, not actually aware of any price increase since I paid on pre-loaded eCash. When you're handing over actual cash then you become more aware.
Spending has reduced with me a little on matchday food this season, and certainly shall next season as a result of the payment change rather than the price. Bit weird that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here