Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] RIP Judith Durham - the Carnival is Over

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just seen that Judith Durham, lead singer with the Seekers, has died at the age of 79.

Holds a special place in Albion folklore, I believe, as being the vocalist on the Carnival is Over, the song played after the last match at the Goldstone…..

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very sad. I still have their LP in vinyl.

My Dad loved The Carnival is Over. Every time I hear it, it reminds me of him.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
RIP Judith was only listening to you the other day and posted The Carnival is over on the best song heard today thread. Very sad news

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mum loved The Seekers.

I was only watching them on You Tube last night.

RIP

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My mum loved The Seekers.

I was only watching them on You Tube last night.

RIP

My mum loved the Seekers too.
I was more in to the Rolling Stones, but did appreciate their stuff.
She did have a wonderful voice, and the Carnival is over always brings a tear to my eye for a number of reasons.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
My mum loved the Seekers too.
I was more in to the Rolling Stones, but did appreciate their stuff.
She did have a wonderful voice, and the Carnival is over always brings a tear to my eye for a number of reasons.

Funnily enough my parents liked the Beatles but HATED the Stones, in partcular, Mick Jagger. Not their cup of tea at all. I thought nothing of it at the time but they were still in their 30s !!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Very sad.
Morningtown Ride has been in my head many years as I believe it was regularly played on Junior Choice.
I've spent many nights playing English music on youtube to get away from the Sertaneja crap they like so much here and I'll Never Find Another You always seems to reduce me to a blubbing wreck especially after a few wines.
Edit to say when I say English I mean English language songs.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Reminds me of those sunny assemblies in the infant school hall of St Luke's, sitting cross legged, singing 'Morningtown Ride'

RIP

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Beautiful voice, beautifully evocative song

RIP Judith

Thanks for posting. Not sure if I’ve heard that song (in full) since the end of the last match at the Goldstone as I wandered aimlessly around the pitch clutching my South Stand seat, some turf and my son. I am back there now!

Whoever decided to play that song at that time deserves a medal.

RIP Judith.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Morningtown Ride was a song I sang to my kids pretty much every night when they were young. Just for that, The Seekers are embedded in my mind - but there were other great songs too. What a lovely voice she had. RIP

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very sad.
Morningtown Ride has been in my head many years as I believe it was regularly played on Junior Choice.
I've spent many nights playing English music on youtube to get away from the Sertaneja crap they like so much here and I'll Never Find Another You always seems to reduce me to a blubbing wreck especially after a few wines.
Edit to say when I say English I mean English language songs.
When people are asked about the first single* they ever bought with their own money they usually come out with some really cool or obscure track to get maximum credibility points. Mine however was 'Morningtown Ride, by The Seekers'. Great song. Fantastic voice. Loved all their stuff.

I appreciate that most people under 30 will only have a vague idea as to what a 'single' is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here