Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RIP Gerry Ryan

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What a great player Gerry was for the Albion never met in Person but spoke to many who had and they only ever had good things to say about the man very sad news RIP

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'm very sad to hear this as I know we all are. Lovely fella and one of my favourite Albion players.
Thankfully got to know him and his lovely wife as I lived in Haywards Heath when he had the Witch Inn.
RIP Gerry. You'll never be forgotten.

billywatts

Jan 19, 2022
Just taken a call from Liam Brady and he’s asked me to post on here so it’s my sad duty to inform NSC that we’ve lost one of our Albion family today, Gerry Ryan sadly passed away in a hospice in Southern Ireland around 4.30.

One of the integral members of the 1983 FA Cup squad he later returned to the club as Liam’s assistant, at what turned out to be the beginning of one of the Albion’s darkest episodes, through no fault of either Liam or Gerry.

The words Albion legend can be thrown around far too easily, but I believe he was exactly that.

My overriding Gerry memory is his solo goal at the Goldstone in front of the North Stand in December 1979, thankfully in front of the big match cameras, well actually it’s not, I later got to know him and had the privilege of him being a guest at a couple of Gulls Eye Dinners, and he was a true Gent and very much one of us.

RIP old boy, the Albion will never forget you ❤️

(Rare for me to be lost for words but I’m actually very emotional 💔, part of our lives)

(Apologies for the quality if anyone’s cost a better one please post up👍)

Sad news…..don’t remember him ever coming to a Gulls Eye dinner but that’s probably a wine soaked memory on my part. Integral part of 83 Cup run. RIP

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
RIP Gerry….fond memories of him as a player……that and him kissing my Mum on the cheek after that famous victory at Newcastle……she didn’t wash it for all of six hours 😉……but never stopped talking about it!

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
This is really sad, He came and played in a Charity cricket match at Barns Green in 1993 and was brilliant company. Thoughts with all his family and friends.

"Its Liverpool nil, the Albion one"

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
So sad to hear this news. Thank you Gerry for so many wonderful memories watching you race past so many opponents. I also witnessed one of his worst moments right in front of me at Selhurst Park . A tackle worth a dozen red cards by Henry Houghton. That made me sick, now I feel deeply sad to know you are no longer with us . Rest in Peace

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A sad day. Rest in peace.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was lucky enough to see Gerry score against Liverpool both home and away in victories against Liverpool. Hugely underrated player.

He's been in a nursing home for a few years back in Ireland and unwell for some time.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So intertwined with the club history. Superb solo goal against man city, scoring at newcastle on promotion day, the winner away at forest, liverpool live on the telly, coming on as sub fa cup final. Chris Cattlin described him as Von Gerry Ryan express and said as we dont know what he is doing the opposition have no chance in working him out.

The sad way his career ended and yet he returned as assistant manager through such turbulent times.

Rest in Peace

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He was only 68. What was he doing in a hospice?

I knew he hadn't been well, but....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here