Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] RIP Angela Lansbury

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Sadly passed away at 96, and I don't believe it was murder, he wrote.

RIP - a great career, Bedknobs & Broomsticks was a childhood classic.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Very sad news - a bona fide legend of stage and screen gone. RIP

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I grew up with her in bedknobs and Broomsticks and Murder She Wrote, where she always seemed liked a well-to-do lady of class. Even in films like Manchurian Candidate, I remember her as well spoken, decorum personified. So I was quite shocked, dare I say even blown away to see her Tony Award-winning performance as Mrs Lovett in Sweeney Todd (recorded performance, I didn't get to see her live in anything)

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I grew up with her in bedknobs and Broomsticks and Murder She Wrote, where she always seemed liked a well-to-do lady of class. Even in films like Manchurian Candidate, I remember her as well spoken, decorum personified. So I was quite shocked, dare I say even blown away to see her Tony Award-winning performance as Mrs Lovett in Sweeney Todd (recorded performance, I didn't get to see her live in anything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ukJ54kXlg

I was fortunate to see her in Blithe Spirit and the Jerry Herman Gala in London, and A Little Night Music on Broadway. She was absolutely wonderful. Gutted.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP did well never to actually be murdered given how many she saw

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
RIP. Very fond memories watching her in 'Murder She Wrote' with my grandmother and of course Bedknobs and Broomsticks also.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Me and Mrs Earle saw her in the West End in Blithe Spirit just a few years ago. An entrancing performance and a memorable evening. She was in her 90's at the time and when she danced around the stage as Madame Arcati she reminded me of my dad who died 11 years ago, but at the same great age. She took the stage as her own. RIP.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We also saw her in Blithe Spirit up in London - superb. Read yesterday that it was her final West End performance that year, so feel very fortunate to have seen her on stage.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
RIP. What a career, she was in National Velvet with child starlet Liz Taylor.

Bedknobs & Broomsticks was my second favourite childhood film, after Aristocats (Brighton Odeon).
Nooo In Search of the Castaways starring Hayley Mills was by second favourite childhood film, beaten only by Pinocchio starring . . . well puppets really. (both probably ABC Cinema, Staines).

But back tio the thread . . . R.I.P. Angela Lansbury, a great actress.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nooo In Search of the Castaways starring Hayley Mills was by second favourite childhood film, beaten only by Pinocchio starring . . . well puppets really. (both probably ABC Cinema, Staines).

But back tio the thread . . . R.I.P. Angela Lansbury, a great actress.
I think of those Hayley Mills movies as Saturday mornings Odeon.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Apparently went to a small school in Hove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here