Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Andrew Sachs

I'm not sure he'd approve of most of the posts in this thread! He was always keen to point out that FT took up only 3 months of his career, and would prefer people to apprciate the other stuff he did. Well, maybe they would have done if he hadn't been so bloody brilliant in that role. When I watched it in the mid-1970s I had no idea he was a Briton, and when I later listened to a programme narated by him, was quite astonished to find that he was. I've only just found out he was a refugee from Nazi Germany (his mother was RC but his father was Jewish).

Last edited:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
He was a lovely man that has left me with very fond memories. The number of people that have left us this year is astonishing. I suppose we are all getting older and we will have to get used to this. It's still bollox.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
He was a lovely man that has left me with very fond memories. The number of people that have left us this year is astonishing. I suppose we are all getting older and we will have to get used to this. It's still bollox.

I completely agree with your sentiments, I guess many of us on here are now in that age bracket where we have grown up with the "Modern Entertainment World" it is now at that time where many we know, loved and grew up with are sadly passing away, Andrew Sachs being one of them, he was 86 an amazing actor / entertainer - RIP Andrew Sachs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not sure he'd approve of most of the posts in this thread! He was always keen to point out that FT took up only 3 months of his career, and would prefer people to apprciate the other stuff he did. Well, maybe they would have done if he hadn't been so bloody brilliant in that role.

I can understand this but what an enduring legacy this 3 months left. This roll is a genuine British comedy high watermark.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
RIP.
Fair play to his family, they managed to keep his death out of the media.
He passed away last week ( 23/11/16 ) and announced it yesterday after his funeral.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indeed: thoughtless, laddish bullying by overpaid celebs doubtless masquerading as 'a bit of a laugh'.

And we can all probably learn a thing or two from the manner in which Mr Sachs handled and understood this issue and accepted their apology.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Very sad. Fawlty Towers is non-stop comedy brilliance. I loved the winning on a horse episode best. To put together such a turn of events that culminated in the broken vase. Fantastic script.

He was also in Rising Damp. More seventies comedy gold as a tax collector but also that Rigsby's uncle had left him money in a will, starring Leonard Rossiter.

RIP Andrew Sachs. :(

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
NOOOOO! Loved Manuel. One of my favourite exchanges.

Polly: I want to go upstairs in a moment.
Manuel: Er Que
Polly: I - go - upstairs.
Manuel:Ah, si*. Is easy.
Polly: For a little sleep.
Manuel: - Is difficult.
Polly: For siesta.
Manuel: Siesta?
Polly: Little sleep? - Yes.
Manuel: Ah, same in Spanish.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Seriously good actor, superb on radio. Perhaps [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] could share his view on whether or not he would have made a better Doctor than Sylvester McCoy. He wanted the part.

Anybody would have been better than Sylvester McCoy!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Presume Ross and Brand have phoned the family to offer their condolences.

Sadly they probably knocked a couple of years off his life and added unwelcome stress levels to his last few years, which no doubt they won't regret at all. Probably dumb enough to have gone to his funeral, the bar stewards!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My favourite Fawlty Towers dialogue is actually a 'non-Manuel' bit.

The Majors discussion with Basil about taking a Lady Friend to see India (at the Oval) is so un-PC it has been cut from modern versions.

all morning she kept referring to the Indians as n*ggers. “No, no, no,” I said, “the n*ggers are the West Indians. These people are w*gs" :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here