Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Ali Farka Toure

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Very sad news that Malian guitarist Ali Farka Toure died in his sleep last night. His duet albums with Ry Cooder (Talking Timbuktu) and Toumani DIabate (In The Heart of the Moon) both received Grammys, the latter only a week or two ago.

He'd been fighting bone cancer for a while and the giant of African music will be missed by fans worldwide.

:bowdown:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
The Boss said:
A lot of the great "Old Timers" of world music have died recently - Compay Segundo, Ruben Gonzalez, Ibrahim Ferrer to name but a few. These people were true maestros and will be sorely missed by those that appreciated their talent:angel:

And Ruben and Ibrahim (and Compay if you count his contribution to the Buena Vista Social Club album) were on the same label as Ali Farka Toure, namely World Circuit. It is very sad for everyone at the label, and I really feel for Nick Gold the producer/owner of the label who I know will be distraught.

pigsinspace

Aug 31, 2005
Maybe he will be up there shagging christoper reeve's wife.( after all he could not do it for the last few years!)

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Did he play at the Gardner Centre about 20 yrs ago? I saw Nusrat fateh ali khan there & also S. E Rogie. Nusrat in particular was amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here