Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ridiculous Game - Thoughts from an Owl

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had it then threw it away. Absolutely fuming with the team and some individuals were a disgrace at the end. Fair play you guys completely deserved that win. We were our own worst enemy tonight and that's the first time I've ever seen that from us.

The game itself was fairly even with you guys shading it, then obviously the penalty changed the game. Wasn't a red but was a clear penalty. The fantastic double save from Stockdale should've really kicked us on but we were tame and didn't drive forward enough. You stayed strong and in shape and countered well and with quality. We lost our heads and your revenge was complete. Fletcher was just stupid with the experience he has. Hutchinson was beyond that... I got my leg broken as a youth in a similar tackle to that and therefore can not feel anything other than disgusted and let down. That... after I'd built him up before the game.

It is an underestimated asset to have such a strong team game. Maybe one day we'll get it right.

Let the mockery ensue.

Generous post, no mocking from this direction fella. Definite meltdown issues - Fletcher was just daft, McManaman seemed to be looking for fight from the minute he came on and Hutchinson's 'tackle' was a straight red all day long. Not sure why you lost the plot so badly.

You'll make the playoffs though, hopefully at Reading's expense [emoji106]

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Reading owlsonline, they all seem to think we're a one man team, conveniently ignoring the fact we have the 2nd top scorer in the league and comfortably the best defence in the league. Last night they played an under-par Albion missing 4 first teamers, and going down to 10 men for a fair chunk of the game.
To be fair, there are plenty of posts on owlsonline which give us due praise. Like here, there are myopic idiots but the majority acknowledge us as a good team, often saying we are the best in the league.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
When you consider that Wednesday :lolol: deservedly beat Newcastle away recently (against 11 men) it puts into context how MASSIVE a win this was for us. Notice on Owlstalk a few posters mentioning how we are by far the best team in the division. We weren't even anywhere near full strength so it's difficult to argue really.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Keith Andrews got it right on Sky when he said that Brighton played as a team where you played as Individuals

This is/was a characteristic of all Albion promotion teams.

We have the team ethic in absolute SPADES this season.

It's on people, it's on.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Really interesting to read Owlstalk. Personally I thought Weds really went for it for about 15 - 20 mins after the pen. Bannan was fantastic - they gave the ball to him almost every time, and he made things happen. Wallace (in my view) was a real nuisance - popping up all over the place. I also liked Reach (thought he was excellent at Middlesborough). Anyway, the Wednesday fans seemed very let down by their players (rightly so, given the opportunity they had, and the indiscipline in the final 10 mins). Personally I thought Murphy, Stephens and (more understandably) Goldson had decidedly off-games. But then I found this comment on Owlstalk ref Murphy:

"Compare Wallace to their guy Murphy. Murphy basically did nothing all night in terms of going forwards.. but he worked really hard, was disciplined and got back to defend when needed. Wallace really didn't do any of those things. He seemed to just float around, pop up where he wanted to and shirked defensive duties a lot of the time. That's not good enough."

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Really interesting to read Owlstalk. Personally I thought Weds really went for it for about 15 - 20 mins after the pen. Bannan was fantastic - they gave the ball to him almost every time, and he made things happen. Wallace (in my view) was a real nuisance - popping up all over the place. I also liked Reach (thought he was excellent at Middlesborough). Anyway, the Wednesday fans seemed very let down by their players (rightly so, given the opportunity they had, and the indiscipline in the final 10 mins). Personally I thought Murphy, Stephens and (more understandably) Goldson had decidedly off-games. But then I found this comment on Owlstalk ref Murphy:

"Compare Wallace to their guy Murphy. Murphy basically did nothing all night in terms of going forwards.. but he worked really hard, was disciplined and got back to defend when needed. Wallace really didn't do any of those things. He seemed to just float around, pop up where he wanted to and shirked defensive duties a lot of the time. That's not good enough."

I can't stand Wallace. Cheating,diving little git who's forever chirping at the ref and who does swan around as if the game should revolve around him when he's not even that good. Accurate assessment from the MASSIVE poster there imo.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Playing against 10 men and going behind again, expected them to attack and show their character. That character appeared to be to punch and kick and argue and run about loosing their heads. They have some great players but little togetherness. Play-offs and fail to be promoted is my guess. Can see them repeating that a few times just like we did though and that's pretty difficult in this league!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hopefully this will push Wednesday to perform against the other top 6 teams but despite buying strikers they seem very weak up front. They looked very good playing the ball around the centre circle but that is a non effective area.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Ridiculous Game - Thoughts from an Owl'

Not so much Ridiculous as EXISTENTIAL.

latest

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I was surprised, but mightily relieved, that they did not bring Hooper on considering his record against us.

Also, the applause from Stripes' fans for Hunt when he was stretchered off was in stark contrast to the booing and things being thrown when Goldson was carried off at Hillboro' in the first leg of the play off semi last year.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Playing against 10 men and going behind again, expected them to attack and show their character. That character appeared to be to punch and kick and argue and run about loosing their heads. They have some great players but little togetherness. Play-offs and fail to be promoted is my guess. Can see them repeating that a few times just like we did though and that's pretty difficult in this league!

How loose did their heads become? Were they all wobbling about a bit?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

That would be a sight to behold.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I thought it was pretty evenly matched. I can't see Wednesday not being in the playoffs again. The question is whether we'll both be in the playoffs again. I've got my faith in SAM and our team though.

Had it then threw it away. Absolutely fuming with the team and some individuals were a disgrace at the end. Fair play you guys completely deserved that win. We were our own worst enemy tonight and that's the first time I've ever seen that from us.

The game itself was fairly even with you guys shading it, then obviously the penalty changed the game. Wasn't a red but was a clear penalty. The fantastic double save from Stockdale should've really kicked us on but we were tame and didn't drive forward enough. You stayed strong and in shape and countered well and with quality. We lost our heads and your revenge was complete. Fletcher was just stupid with the experience he has. Hutchinson was beyond that... I got my leg broken as a youth in a similar tackle to that and therefore can not feel anything other than disgusted and let down. That... after I'd built him up before the game.

It is an underestimated asset to have such a strong team game. Maybe one day we'll get it right.

Let the mockery ensue.

Your analysis is pretty good. But I don't think you've been fair on yourself. You guys deserved a draw from that game, by the way you played. It was definitely a penalty, and had it gone in, the result would have been completely different. Having said that, we should have scored a couple of sitters earlier in the second half too. We had some luck last night, but our spirit was fantastic, which is why I think we won in the end. I expect to see you guys up there come the end of the season.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
We won because we had the best player by a country mile. We also had the Stockdale miracle - two saves from one penalty.

Yes we had some good luck as well but any team getting out of this league needs that as well as a good team.

theboybilly

At 1-1, down to 10 men and facing a penalty who of us wouldn't have taken that draw there and then? I was waiting for a Wednesday onslought and though Carvalho had set them up with his substitutions to administer the Coup de Grace. But it just didn't come and Albion grew more confident. But the Owls aren't a bad side and will take points off those around them. I thought Forestieri's cross for the goal was excellent and Beach was their best player, ghosting in from all over the place. I know Wednesday fans are losing faith a bit with their manager but I think he's on the right track.

EDIT: Adam Reach (not Beach - I can't seem to edit it any other way than this) was their best player last night (for me anyway)

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm

Let the mockery ensue.

No mockery from me pal, an honest assessment and good luck against the rest of the play off contenders

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We won because we had the best player by a country mile. We also had the Stockdale miracle - two saves from one penalty.

Yes we had some good luck as well but any team getting out of this league needs that as well as a good team.

They do say luck evens itself out, in our case it seems to be over two seasons because we had none in the last three games last year when we really needed just one break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here