Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ricky Gervais 'Dead Babies' Joke

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Queen Mum got loads of praise for visiting London frequently during the dark days of the Blitz. Bit unfair. My Grandfather visited London dozens of times during WW2 and never received any praise from the British public. Admittedly, he was flying a Henkel Bomber for the Luftwaffe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Beautifully done :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have told this gag a few times but on one particular occasion the particular context of our chat, my timing and a friends respectful pause and response all aligned. He still claims it's the best delivery of a gag ever. I'll never top it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jimmy Carr's most offense,

They say there's safety in numbers. Tell that to six million Jews.
I think what's in Jimmy's favour there is that the audience will know he's saying it to be shocking and that he doesn't in any way mean to be offensive. I know Jimmy knows the holocaust is one of the worst human tragedies ever.

Perhaps the same is true of Ricky's joke, I haven't heard it yet.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is all about context.

Stewart Lee can set up a joke for an hour before delivering the punchline. Daily Mail can print it and it looks offensive, the entire audience realises what he's done though. It was a bit like when he wished Richard Hammond had died in his Top Gear accident by decapitation. Of course the Daily Mail ran with that headline, but the actual joke was about Top Gear being able to say anything they wanted, about Mexicans, or whatever else, but excuse themselves by saying 'its just a joke'. So Lee went into one about Richard Hammond then said 'its just a joke' thereby confirming the satire of the act. He then went onto say, but even though its just a joke, its coincidently also what I think...

Well, I laughed! :lolol:

SAC

May 21, 2014
It is all about context.

Stewart Lee can set up a joke for an hour before delivering the punchline. Daily Mail can print it and it looks offensive, the entire audience realises what he's done though. It was a bit like when he wished Richard Hammond had died in his Top Gear accident by decapitation. Of course the Daily Mail ran with that headline, but the actual joke was about Top Gear being able to say anything they wanted, about Mexicans, or whatever else, but excuse themselves by saying 'its just a joke'. So Lee went into one about Richard Hammond then said 'its just a joke' thereby confirming the satire of the act. He then went onto say, but even though its just a joke, its coincidently also what I think...

It was Stewart Lee at his best. Along with the gig in Scotland talking about being part Scotch.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It is all about context.

Brilliantly delivered.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was Stewart Lee at his best. Along with the gig in Scotland talking about being part Scotch.

The "Scotch" gig is brilliantly funny.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The "Scotch" gig is brilliantly funny.

I've just watched that purely off the back of this thread, and I laughed my head off.

Now on the Princess Diana monologue....

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It is all about context.

Quite. I went to a charity comedy night the other evening. The second act was a fella called Marlon Davis (I think). He opened with something along the lines of "I happy in my life....do you want to know why? Because I own a trampoline!" (you had to be there). He ended his set with something like "I can say all this shit because this is a comedy gig. If I bump into any you tomorrow at bus stop and randomly walk up to you and say I own a trampoline you'd think I was right a nutjob".

Back on the original topic the charity was Banardos but didn't stop one of the comics making jokes about paedophilia. Didn't notice anyone walking out.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
He has joked about Anne Frank, those that died in WW1, Hiroshima, drug deaths etc. He didn't put his joke on twitter or say it on The One Show. He said it at a live gig. He's not shouting these jokes through people's letterboxes.
Basically people love offensive jokes until it comes round to something they find sacred. Ridiculous.

Yeah, but when you've just an operation for cancer and go along to his show ( which happened to me some years ago when he was at the Dome) and he starts taking the piss out of people with cancer, then you are entitled to be more than a bit miffed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, but when you've just an operation for cancer and go along to his show ( which happened to me some years ago when he was at the Dome) and he starts taking the piss out of people with cancer, then you are entitled to be more than a bit miffed.

Well, each person reacts how they react. I can almost guarantee you that he said offensive things about other groups of people before he delivered his dead baby joke. It's hypocritical to sit through offensive material and then get enervated when he hits on a subject that has personally affected you. I have had things in my life that comedians joke about from time to time but if I got upset abpout these things then I'd never watch comedy again. I'm not sure one is entitled to be miffed though. I can see how it's a touchy subject though. I do understand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here