Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ricky Gervais - After Life - Series 1 and 2

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Gervais’s pet hates crow-barred in.

That's partly what annoyed me about the previous seasons. He's just used it as a vehicle to voice his own opinions, all of which we've heard before. I don't disagree with them but it wasn't entirely original material.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
As with every series ever made, whilst I enjoyed it they should have stopped after 2.

The Bridge, The Killing, Borgen, The Office, Derek, This is England and Peaky Blinders are all examples of the very best peaking after 2.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As with every series ever made, whilst I enjoyed it they should have stopped after 2.

The Bridge, The Killing, Borgen, The Office, Derek, This is England and Peaky Blinders are all examples of the very best peaking after 2.

I would largely agree except for maybe Curb Your Enthusiasm and Parks N Rec, both of which improved on series 2 and kept getting better. Although Parks n Rec dipped again in the last two seasons but 2,3 and 4 were some of the best comedy of the last twenty years.
Curb’s recent 11th season was one of the best yet.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I would largely agree except for maybe Curb Your Enthusiasm and Parks N Rec, both of which improved on series 2 and kept getting better. Although Parks n Rec dipped again in the last two seasons but 2,3 and 4 were some of the best comedy of the last twenty years.

I’d throw in Peep Show too. The quality was still high through seasons 3 to end.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

As good as series 3 of Narcos was, it wasn't a patch on the first two: no Escobar.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020

With the exception Breaking Bad...

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Suits and Gomorrah are the only two exceptions in the entire history of television to be top quality beyond two seasons. Having never watched The Sopranos, The Wire or Homeland any of those three are also possibles., but I wouldn’t know.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You lot seem to have forgotten Terry and June, 9 series

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Suits and Gomorrah are the only two exceptions in the entire history of television to be top quality beyond two seasons. Having never watched The Sopranos, The Wire or Homeland any of those three are also possibles., but I wouldn’t know.

The Simpsons? Marge vs. the Monorail and Mr Plow are season 4, Flaming Moe's season 3, etc.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Watched it last night. Having very much enjoyed the first two seasons thought season 3 was a bit meh. Most of the memorable bits are in the trailer.

Rosin Conanty is a big miss. Dennis Pennis is not, but his mates who are shoehorned into two episodes aren't really in keeping with the rest of the program as they weren't in series 2.

Wouldn't put anyone off watching it as it was still a good watch just not up to the standard of the previous series IMO.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Peaky Binders best season was series one. It turned into a Bonnie Tyler video after that. Hardy-esque lingering shots of Shelby on horseback and slow-mo tracking shots of him striding through a Hellscape of flaming foundries and whore houses. Boring.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Ratty and The Nonce were absolute gold in Series 1, absolute confusing mess in Series 3. The woman who replaced Mandeep Dhillon was good but Joe Wilkinsons character seemed a bit lame this time round.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Thought parts 1-5 were largely a load of horse eggs, with a couple of good laughs chucked in. Enjoyed the final part; but equally I could understand an argument that it’s mawkish and overly sentimental.

I really enjoyed the first 2 series.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Blackadder

Blackadder goes Fourth is comfortably the best written of the four series.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've just realised the shorter one out of the 2 sweary podcast blokes plays del boy in only fools the musical

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thought the third season was poor and clunky, personally.

I really hope Gervais and Merchant sort out their issues and work together again in the future.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Just sort of finished watching. Couldn't watch through the Joni Mitchell song at the end. Too fecking sad.
I enjoyed it for what it was.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Watched it last night. Having very much enjoyed the first two seasons thought season 3 was a bit meh. Most of the memorable bits are in the trailer.

Rosin Conanty is a big miss. Dennis Pennis is not, but his mates who are shoehorned into two episodes aren't really in keeping with the rest of the program as they weren't in series 2.

Wouldn't put anyone off watching it as it was still a good watch just not up to the standard of the previous series IMO.

Yeah I agree - wonder why Conaty was omitted? Generally felt a bit more diluted down this season, still good 7/10 TV though. Gervais' stuff as a general rule declines as it goes on, which is why he never does more than 3 seasons of anything and most of the time just does 1 or 2 seasons as he is aware of this himself. It felt like he reluctantly did a 3rd season and there was a bit less heart in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here