Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rick Stein

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I had a good chat with him once, struck me as a nice guy. Always enjoyed his programmes and recipes. Team Rick!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I come from a long line of Cockle and Winkle nibblers ???

Black rock was always the traditional hunting grounds :thumbsup:
Black rock winkles! Used to love 'em whenever we went to stay with my Grandad in Whippingham Road - until one day I must have eaten a wrong 'un, and was horribly sick!

Still happy to eat shellfish (though never quite took to whelks) but never eaten a winkke since (never ever seen one on sale in a supermarket either!) Guess they're all entombed under the marina now?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Black rock winkles! Used to love 'em whenever we went to stay with my Grandad in Whippingham Road - until one day I must have eaten a wrong 'un, and was horribly sick!

Still happy to eat shellfish (though never quite took to whelks) but never eaten a winkke since (never ever seen one on sale in a supermarket either!) Guess they're all entombed under the marina now?

My mum always use to enjoy a bowlful of winkles …picking them out of their shells and dabbing a bit of salt on them …yuck

Last edited:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
What a brill thread.

chrome_image_21 Mar 2022 22_26_32 GMT.png

Here we go again.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Best opening lines to a song eva...

Rick Stein? Pleased to meet you!
I did not mean to be so rude.
I just didn't know that
You were so famous for your food

My mum always use to enjoy a bowlful of wrinkles …picking them out of their shells and dabbing a bit of salt on them …yuck

Must have been a '60's parents thing. My mum and dad used to indulge with a bowl each drowned in vinegar when on a seaside outing.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Some vague memory of being in pubs in Brighton in the 80s and some bloke used yo come in and sell some sort of seafood? No other details as I hate shellfish, but not the sort of thing you see nowadays, is it?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Must have been a '60's parents thing. My mum and dad used to indulge with a bowl each drowned in vinegar when on a seaside outing.

I was on Brighton seafront in the early 70s munching down a bowl of cockles in vinegar. One of my friends at the time remarked that they looked like bogeys. Didn't touch any more, never have done since and will always associate them with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here