Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richmond Fontaine @ The Hanbury tonight

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Bought the latest Richmond Fontaine album a month or so ago completely off the back of some really good reviews, particularly (and unspurisingly) in Uncut. Hadn't heard any of their stuff before but thought i'd got for it anyway. On the first and second listens i wasn't blown away at all, seemed to be a bit, ahem, middle-of-the-road and middle-aged...

But i persevered and in no time at all i was listening to it all the time. Maybe its finally time to admit that i'm not in my 20's anymore! And then i went and bought Willy Vlautin's latest book, which i've really enjoyed too.

Anyway, they're playing at the Hanbury tonight. Anyone else going? And i've never been to the Hanbury before - whats it like to park around there? I live by Preston Pk, so not far away, but we were thinking of heading down in the car anyway. Any advice welcome

cheers

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
richmond fontaine are immense. never heard them called middle of the road before!

winnemucca or post to wire are their classics imo, the new cd is very good too!

i'll be there tomight, saw them at the hanbury a few years ago and it's a great location for them. parking on the seafron i'd guess, it's tough around there because of the hospital...

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The hanbury is always great. one of brightons hidden gems.

I remember two mad old boys used to drink in there Ken and Spider, lived on a houseboat together in the Marina and just got pissed up all the time would fall in ocasionally on the way home.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
richmond fontaine are immense. never heard them called middle of the road before!

winnemucca or post to wire are their classics imo, the new cd is very good too!

i'll be there tomight, saw them at the hanbury a few years ago and it's a great location for them. parking on the seafron i'd guess, it's tough around there because of the hospital...

Maybe middle-of-the-road is the wrong term. I suppose what i'm getting at is that musically the new album wasn't as edgy(?) as i'd normally go for. I'm imagining that tonight's crowd will be mostly over-30.

Thanks or the tip re. parking. I'm wondering if bussing it over there is a better idea..

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I can't make it tonight, but that will be a good show. Last saw them at End of The Road where they played a blistering set on the sunday night.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Maybe middle-of-the-road is the wrong term. I suppose what i'm getting at is that musically the new album wasn't as edgy(?) as i'd normally go for. I'm imagining that tonight's crowd will be mostly over-30.

Thanks or the tip re. parking. I'm wondering if bussing it over there is a better idea..

You'd be imagining right. I'll be there. Like afters I went a few years back at the same venue. Really looking forward to it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Parking is awful over that way, really bad. Seafront is best but the bus is probably a better bet.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oooh, just a thought. I do think the parking at the Bingo Hall on Edward Street is totally free all the time now so if you don't mind a short walk then park there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
5 minute stroll.

hanbury club brighton - Google Maps

On that link (zom in) the car park is on the corner of Sutherland and Eastern Road wth the entrance on Freshfield Way. I've never thought about using it but every time I've walked past it recently it's been empty and the barriers are constantly up. You might want to check though. Otherwise there's plenty on on street parking round here at a very small cost (you only have to pay until 8), it's less available near the venue. Plus you can stop for a pint in the Barley Mow on your way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here