Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Richards, Cochran & Roberts

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It's not like City released Richard's is it?

I mean, he was with them from 14 years old, so can't be that bad surely? ???

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
This thread has turned into a bit of a bitchfest about Richards, which in fairness I contributed to.

Let’s leave it at this: he is one of a number of very talented young players that we have. Perhaps we expected too much given the fanfare with which he arrived, but with proper coaching and maybe a loan or two hopefully we have a future PL player on our hands.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I thought Richards looked quite good . But I agree that having the right attitude is a massive part of making it as a top flight footballer . Alzate clearly has the ability and right attitude . Some of the big city boys that come from London and Manchester etc may think they are good enough and they may well be technically but they need to stay humble & keep listening & improving to have a chance of making it .

I’m slightly concerned that Connelly has got slightly too big for his boots recently and needs to keep his head down and keep improving

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Can’t remember seeing Bong in the pics from training this week, is he injured or the player who was reported that’s still not comfortable with coming back to training yet so is Cochrane in to cover him?
Is Roberts still only 17?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t remember seeing Bong in the pics from training this week, is he injured or the player who was reported that’s still not comfortable with coming back to training yet so is Cochrane in to cover him?

He’s on loan at Forest isn’t he?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've only seen Cochrane via Seagulls Player, but every time I've seen him he looks like a standout player - Roberts always looks decent too. I've not really seen enough of Richards to comment

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Roberts looked good against Villa in the anonymous cup game

I was even more enthused than that. He looked both mature and confident and, although he doesn't seem that tall for a CB, did manage to head a goal from a corner against PL first team squad players.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He’s on loan at Forest isn’t he?
Not on loan, it was a full transfer to Forest.

He got a 2 1/2 or 3 year deal !

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Gives us further cover in central defence, left back and attacking midfield.

Crofts is no doubt also drafted in to be an additional central midfield cover option.

The outstanding question is whether Gyokeres is allowed to join up with our squad after St. Pauli finish their season just before our game with Man Utd ???

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I really like what I’ve seen of Cochrane but doubt we’ll see him any time soon if he is behind Bernado and Burn. Maybe he’s there for experience.

I imagine Roberts is there because a suspension looms for Dunky

Taylor-Richards seems a bit of an individual rather than a team player from what I’ve seen, but could be a good impact sub (and we can play 9 from 5).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Not on loan, it was a full transfer to Forest.

He got a 2 1/2 or 3 year deal !

:lolol:

Sorry, it always makes me laugh when I think of it.

As for Richards, give the kid a break. He's a young man, he needs a loan deal next season to get some games and really whet his appetite for being a footballer. Alternatively, he'll fizzle out like Abdul Razak did. Time will tell, but he's got the technical ability to develop it's just a question of whether he wants it enough.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
:lolol:

Sorry, it always makes me laugh when I think of it.

As for Richards, give the kid a break. He's a young man, he needs a loan deal next season to get some games and really whet his appetite for being a footballer. Alternatively, he'll fizzle out like Abdul Razak did. Time will tell, but he's got the technical ability to develop it's just a question of whether he wants it enough.

Yep. Is it a case of too much too young and believing his own hype. Also, does he have the patience

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Taylor - Richards undoubtly has the technical ability, does he have the disapline and dedication? I'd like to see him go out on loan, its the real test for most players to see if he can make the step up from 23's football. Like most from the limited time I have seen him I'm unsure, but I do think a loan spell wiill give us a much better idea...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have not been impressed with Richards in the U23s. His distribution is not the best, both in his decision making of when to pass and also the accuracy of the pass itself.

I agree, has a long way to go for me, but has time on his side and this is a chance for him to learn.

Cochrane is excellent and his opportunity is well deserved

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Roberts looked good against Villa in the anonymous cup game

That was men against boys, totally unfair on the kids to be thrown in enmasse against a Premier League team. For my money that experience could have stunted their progress, not enhanced it.

None of them are ready for first team football yet.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Because they need to be drip fed their introduction to mens football not just thrown to the wolves in the way that they were, the only two first teamers who started the game wer Shane Duffy and Gaetan Bong, neither of them had good games either.

And yes l know we were playing the Villa, not Wolves!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Because they need to be drip fed their introduction to mens football not just thrown to the wolves in the way that they were, the only two first teamers who started the game wer Shane Duffy and Gaetan Bong, neither of them had good games either.

And yes l know we were playing the Villa, not Wolves!

I disagree. I think its a great, humbling learning experience. A lot of talents get cocky when they got a pro contract or a good academy contract, by throwing them to the wolves they learn how much harder they must work, while also getting a hint that "oh, its possible to get chances at this club". I think its great and how the Cabbawaw Cup should be treated in the future as well.

I've seen and heard of a lot of youth teams that went undefeated for years or whatever and where nothing came out of the players, since you learn more form losing than winning. Creating challenges where they turn out not to be enough (yet) could be hugely useful to these young wealthy men.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I disagree. I think its a great, humbling learning experience. A lot of talents get cocky when they got a pro contract or a good academy contract, by throwing them to the wolves they learn how much harder they must work, while also getting a hint that "oh, its possible to get chances at this club". I think its great and how the Cabbawaw Cup should be treated in the future as well.

I've seen and heard of a lot of youth teams that went undefeated for years or whatever and where nothing came out of the players, since you learn more form losing than winning. Creating challenges where they turn out not to be enough (yet) could be hugely useful to these young wealthy men.

In a game like that maybe a couple at a time, but not nine! Some of them were under 18's too, not even under 23's. It was obvious from watching it that many were overawed, one or two of the younger ones probably didn't even want to be there, a great shame really.

Some would say it was a bit of an insult to Aston Villa too, playing what was almost tantamount to a youth team. Although l'm sure they enjoyed the win!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here