Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reykjavik and the Northern lights

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
As the New Year is upon us thought i would look at getting a couple of trips booked up. Looking at Reykjavik in October and really want to see the Northern lights. Has anyone been who could advise if this is a good time to go and can the lights be seen easily. Also any other tips for the place?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
several companies do whale watching boat trips, also take in the blue lagoon (allow 3 hours) on your trip back top the airport.

and, take some duty free booze because it is ridiculously expensive.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
My missus is on a plane back from Reykjavik as I type. She said she saw the northern lights on the first night she was there, and that excursions are available which take you out up to four times for the same money if you don't have any luck.

Can't help you with the time of year that's best to see them, though I suspect that in winter, as it's darker for longer periods, you'd have a better chance. There are only four hours of daylight per day at the moment, apparently.

She has said it's the best place she's ever been to, and that she's absolutely loved it - a common message from all my mates who've been there.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Mrs Arkwright here.

I think they're best from about November to March and can be seen most nights as long as there's no cloud and a moonless night is better. If you can go early this year, it's supposed to be one of the best "shows" for 50 years due to extraordinary solar activity. Icelandair do a three night package which includes a night time trip out of town in the hope of seeing the Northern Lights. And you can still go the Blue Lagoon even in January although whale watching is probably out of the question then. A friend of mine was there the week before Christmas and his pictures of the Northern Lights are stunning. I'm going at the end of January and am keeping my fingers crossed... I'll let you when I get back.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
I've been to Reykavik (for a day trip believe it or not and did loads)

The Blue lagoon is great fun - warm water yet the wind chill when i wnet was -15'c

It is expensive and This current winter the Northern lights are at their best for a generation according to Nasa due to increased sun spot activity.

I'm thinking about doing the Northern lights this March in Tromso in Northern Norway for a week, but it works out expensive (burger and chips £7.50, glass of wine £8.00). Ofcourse you can take some rations from England and get some booze at Gatwick.

Below is a bit on the Northern Lights (albeit Norway based) and how you have to work round moon phases and months of the year in winter when the cloud is less

Northern Lights Norway - Tromsos Aurora Borealis

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
It's something i looked at doing this year too. Easyjet started flying there and were doing return flights for £60ish

That's what i've been looking at doing £60 return from Luton is just a bargain. Hotels seem reasonable to which surprised me. To be honest can't go wrong with Easyjet in general.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
several companies do whale watching boat trips, also take in the blue lagoon (allow 3 hours) on your trip back top the airport.

and, take some duty free booze because it is ridiculously expensive.

A good tip is to pop into the Reykjavik airport duty free when you arrive, (one of the few countries that let you) , and stock up with booze for your stay. Lovely country but you need to take out a second mortgage for a pint. Cost me £30 quid for a crap bottle of wine in a restaurent

If you want to see the Nortern Lights go now up to March. However you will be restricted for some of the other visitor sites as most of the country is unreachable in the winter.

Oh and I second the Blue Lagoon, well worth a visit.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I stayed in Reykjavik for 2 nights on the way back from the States last December. I did see the Northern Lights and they are impressive. The guide said that the solar winds that create them operate on 10 year cycles and they are currently at the peak – but they can’t guarantee them. I think they recommended November and December as the best months. Do the Golden Circle tour – it takes in waterfalls and geysers. The scenery is spectacular, the air is incredibly clear as there is hardly any air pollution, most of the islands power and heating is geo-thermal. If you have time there are also volcano and glacier tours. Booze and food are very expensive. Iceland Air normally do deals on hotels, 2 nights for the price of one etc. Like other posters have said it's a great place to visit

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Stayed at the icelandair hotel loftleidir which is at a municipal airstrip about a 20 minute walk from the town centre (or a free shutle bus). Good value, small beach nearby, good short walks, and much much cheaper than town centre hotels.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Fantastic place but very expensive. We went in sept and saw the northern lights but they are best from nov-march. Did whale watching, blue lagoon and shopping in the city. Only regret is not doing the golden circle tour but ran out of time. Would go back

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I'm thinking about doing the Northern lights this March in Tromso in Northern Norway for a week, but it works out expensive (burger and chips £7.50, glass of wine £8.00). Ofcourse you can take some rations from England and get some booze at Gatwick.

I've been to Norway twice in recent years and found it wasn't nearly as expensive as the horror stories I'd been told about prices of things over there. Everything was just 'a bit' more than you'd pay here

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Went with college a couple of years back, one of the best trips i've ever been on, fascinating country. We went right round to the floating icebergs on the edge of the Skaftafell national park, managed to get fairly close to E15 (the volcano which caused the flight chaos) and the effects it caused. If i were going again i'd certainly look to see more than just Reykjavik, make a trip of it while you're there.

Oh, and the blue lagoon is certainly worth a trip, not sure on prices as we had it paid for.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Been to Iceland 5 or 6 times in the the last few years, and as has been previously said, best time to see the Northern Lights are between November and March. It also has to be a cold clear day.

Saw a brilliant display once at lake Myvatn in early April:thumbsup:

The Blue Lagoon is an absolute must, but it's getting a bit pricey.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Going in a couple of weeks, can't wait. Three nights, four days, got a car for the entire duration so doing the Blue Lagoon on the way from the Airport as get there early and then the Golden Circle. Anyone who has been recently recommend decent bars in Reykjavik and any restaurants that do relatively cheap food???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here