Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Revolution in Iran

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A small part of an article in todays DT ..apparently one of them is in a notorious Tehran prison

RAN has arrested a young woman who defied morality police by eating in a restaurant without wearing a hijab, in an image which has gone viral on social media and inspired thousands of anti-regime protesters.

The photograph showed Donya Rad eating breakfast in Tehran alongside a female friend who was also not wearing a headscarf. The fate of the second woman is unknown.

The pair were protesting about the death of Mahsa Amini, a young woman killed in the custody of the morality police for improperly wearing a hijab. Her death has provoked mass protests across Iran in which more than 50 people have been killed by riot police.

Another image emerged of a young woman standing next to the grave of her mother, Minoo Majidi, who was killed in the protests. Staring into the camera, she is shown clutching her shorn long hair, which women are cutting off as a symbol of resistance against the regime.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Need to remind the Iranian people it's backwards Arabic customs that are being imposed on the Persian people.

Women in ancient Persia were not only highly respected but, in many cases, considered the equals of males. Women could own land, conduct business, received equal pay, could travel freely on their own, and in the case of royal women, hold their own council meetings on policy.

Persian women would continue to enjoy this high status in ancient Persian culture until the fall of the Sassanian Empire to the invading Arab Muslims in 651 CE. Afterwards, the long-standing recognition of women as autonomous individuals, capable of deciding their own fate, was replaced by the concept of women as second-class citizens, inherently sinful, and requiring male guidance and control.

Time to reclaim their heritage. Like that which has happened in some parts of Northern Africa.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Carlos Queiroz was going to announce the squad today but the press conference has been postponed. Rumour is that the Iranian FA wants to leave out players (especially Azmoun) supporting the protesters.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The 'West' will do nothing but impose the interests of Western Imperialism if they get involved in Iran - just like they did in 1979 when they sabotaged a popular left-leaning revolution and brought the Mullahs to power.

The mass of the population of Iran do not need 'Western' help - they need to be left alone to find their own course - and it is far from inevitable that the regime (which is in deep crisis) will be able to act against this mass movement.

You are correct to question Swansman's use of words - but you solution is one that has brought more than two centuries of misery to the mass of the poor in the Middle and far-East.
Thousands arrested in Iran (more than 10,000 now) for protesting about the killing of a woman who had a bit of hair showing. The first to be executed was named today.

Sure, we can sit idly by. How many of their own people should we let the ayatollas murder before intervening? Murder, for protesting about their own secret police killing a young woman for showing a bit of hair. Just think about that. Heinous sedition. Sure, sure.

And yet....pious handwringers suggest the nation we should really be protesting about, indeed completely boycotting is......(you know who it is).....Israel! Let's start by bombing the mosque in Tel Aviv (that I have seen with my own eyes). That will fix everything! :facepalm:

This is why your extreme left wing parties will never be elected. Clueless.

But I don't imagine for a moment you really want to 'return to your constituency and prepare for power' (to paraphrase David Steele). No, the inferiority complex and twisted narcissism of the extreme left means you just want to make a noise. Peter Tatchell is a brave and noble man, but he doesn't want power. He is here to shine a light on bastards. In politics I want a government, not a picket line attendee (like Corbyn). Being a government is tricky, and you won't become a government without seizing the centre ground (and then nudging it leftwards if that's your belief - it is mine).

But we have discussed this before, and you still think that a majority of UK voters, in their heart of hearts, really want Corbyn as PM....so I am wasting my breath. :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But we have discussed this before, and you still think that a majority of UK voters, in their heart of hearts, really want Corbyn as PM....so I am wasting my breath. :shrug:
312820316_690958012386262_5790861396545350766_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here