Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Return deposit on bottles.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Really like what they do at Sussex Cricket ground; you pay a £1 deposit on a beer for the plastic "glass" it comes in. Take it back and get your £1 returned. At end of cricket match there are hordes of kids going around collecting them up to earn some cash. Pretty easy for the kids to get £20+ each and keeps waste levels and staff time down. Glasses all then get cleaned for next time.

Bloody hell you could make an absolute killing on the Western Terrace at Headingley if they did that there.

267518.jpg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I’m struggling to understand any of the negativity about this. It works perfectly in many other nations so why is it such a cost-prohibitive idea which few will take up in the U.K.?

Sadly in Britain we just find it so hard to embrace something new without all sorts of doom and gloom. when the idea was mooted of fortnightly bin collections here in hastings many years ago, you would have thought that the end was nigh, judging by the letters in the Hastings Observer.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Basically we’re doomed and I wonder if me putting my plastic bottle in the recycling is actually going to make any difference other than make me feel good.

Well it won't make the situation worse so it is definitely a good thing. Agree your main point though about under standing where the issue comes from e.g. identify the top 5 nations who contribute most to the problem , sort them out then come back for the next 5 and continue until you have the problem resolved.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I always take a couple of bottles of Coke to games but take the empty bottles home and put in the recycling bin at home. I will be interested to see how this works for shops like Poundland.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would like the Albion to ban single-use plastic, where possible. Especially single-use beer 'glasses' and single-use straws.

Same here. The majority of venues here have a deposit system for returning multi-use beer glasses. It works very well.

Do they give out straws at the AMEX? Genuine question as I don’t think I’ve seen any before.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I always take a couple of bottles of Coke to games but take the empty bottles home and put in the recycling bin at home. I will be interested to see how this works for shops like Poundland.

My experience here is that it’s only supermarkets which have machines where you can return bottles. If you buy cola from a newsagents, or Poundland, you return it elsewhere.....or leave it for someone else to earn a few pennies by returning it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Same here. The majority of venues here have a deposit system for returning multi-use beer glasses. It works very well.

Do they give out straws at the AMEX? Genuine question as I don’t think I’ve seen any before.

Pretty certain the non-concourse bars do. Again, could be that I've seen it once, and it's stuck - may be wrong.

Additionally - and this would mostly work on hot matchdays (rare) - I'd suggest a drinking water tap for people to re-fill their water bottle rather than (it did happen once) single-use plastic bottles of water being given away. Liked the sentiment on that occasion, but flawed environmentally.

Brighton & Hove City Council, incidentally, is looking at installing water refill places in the city. They have already passed a motion (ooer!) to ban or discourage single use plastic in the city. The Green group wants 50 water refill sites across the city. The ruling Labour group said it would consider six.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trust the idiot greens to suggest something that cannot be monitored. How will they stop me buying my Pepsi Max at 2 for £1 in Poiundland. and then monitor what I do with the empty bottles. I fully understand the need and logic behind the government proposals but see them as impossible to implement

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I do often wonder if all our eco / environmental laws and ideas in this country and others will actually make a difference when other larger growing economies in the world are no where near the level we need to be and won’t be for some time like India & China it does seem futile when countries are happy to pump out green houses gas’s that dwarf the European output put together and sailors throughout the world chuck their waste overboard, I mean who’s gonna check that ? We can’t even stop the mutilation of thousands of sharks by one of these countries.

Basically we’re doomed and I wonder if me putting my plastic bottle in the recycling is actually going to make any difference other than make me feel good.

I kind of agree, but lets look after our backyard and hope it inspires other countries. I read that 90% of the plastic islands in the Pacific come from waste floating down just 6 major rivers: e.g. Ganges. Apparently very little from the Adur. But we just gotta try right? I think we've been inspired (embarassed?) by the scheme in Sweden, then again I also read they burn loads of waste. Inconsistency rules.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Returns are a good idea as long as it doesn't ruin existing kerbside recycling.

If I have to take a trip to a recycling bank or tip every time I want to discard some plastic, this would mean a car trip to and from (added pollution and expense), so I probably wouldn't bother unless I was taking a huge load or was dumping a car load of other stuff there. If I can discard plastic with my other fortnightly recycling with little or no bother I will. Getting a nominal deposit won't encourage me to make specific trips to a bottle bank unless it is within easy (walking) reach.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Trust the idiot greens to suggest something that cannot be monitored. How will they stop me buying my Pepsi Max at 2 for £1 in Poiundland. and then monitor what I do with the empty bottles. I fully understand the need and logic behind the government proposals but see them as impossible to implement

They have been implemented in other countries though, so they’re not impossible. All the thinking and issues have already been ironed out so if the U.K. does run with this idea it will be easy to set up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Getting a nominal deposit won't encourage me to make specific trips to a bottle bank unless it is within easy (walking) reach.

From my experience they’re in supermarkets. Just drop them off when you do your shopping.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have been implemented in other countries though, so they’re not impossible. All the thinking and issues have already been ironed out so if the U.K. does run with this idea it will be easy to set up.

How will they control the 2 bottles of Pepsi Max that I buy every week from Poundland, all I want is an explanation.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh High and Mighty Mr Know it All please explain how Brighton Greens intend to implement their proposals? I am all in favour of rules and regulations but not if they cannot be carried out 100%.

For a start, what Green proposals have been suggested that need monitoring? And how can the Greens implement something when they're not the party in power?

Secondly, the motion to either ban (from council use) or strongly discourage (for city-wide use, especially where the council does not have direct control - e.g. private business, shops etc.) was proposed by the Green group, seconded by the Conservative group, and carried unanimously. That's Every. Single. Councillor. Of all parties. Furthermore, some private businesses (e.g. DrinkInBrighton, who own 55 pubs across the city) are ahead of the council in banning single use plastics.

For a couple of small examples, it was suggested that council suppliers will not be allowed to supply single-use plastics for council office use. Another one was for any event for which BHCC was the license provider (e.g. any festival or open air event), single-use plastic would be banned.

If you had read it properly (as I had written it in plain English), you'll see that there aren't any rules and regulations which need to be drawn up that have been voted upon, because that's not what was debated.

The secondary Green proposal, at the same full Council meeting, was for a roll-out of refill water stations across the city. The ruling Labour group were largely in favour of the idea, but not to such an extent.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
in the states for aluminum cans--

3085670_Can-deposit-return.JPG

$.05 for the return of one aluminum can in the states of IA=Iowa, VT=Vermont, ME=Maine, NY=New York, OR=Oregon, MA=Massachusetts, CT=Connecticut
$.10 in the states of CA=California & MI=Michigan

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How will they control the 2 bottles of Pepsi Max that I buy every week from Poundland, all I want is an explanation.

I took this from a website:

“Essentially, the German Pfand system is a cycle. The drinks manufacturer fills his product, for example, beer or water, into returnable bottles. These bottles, and the contents, are sold to wholesalers or retailers. The wholesaler or retailer pays a deposit to the producer. This deposit is then passed on directly to the customer in the form of a surcharge. In the case of wholesalers, there is an extra step in the chain as he passes this on to individual retailers such as your local kiosk. As end customers, we then pay this deposit, or Pfand, to the supermarket, kiosk, Getränkemarkt or whoever and we get it back when we return the bottles. “

And to complete the cycle I presume the original producer then buys bottles back with the deposit money they originally received from wherever they were returned to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here