Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I had breakfast at the Red Roaster in the Dome last week. Very impressed.

Chilli lamb fry up with a side of bacon was excellent and the wife said her crab and avacado benedict (also with a side of bacon) was good too. The sides of bacon were plentiful (was expecting a tiny amount) and the coffee was excellent. All in, including tip, was 43 which given the portion size and quality represents pretty good value in this town. Can heartily recommend it for something different from the usual.

Service excellent and toilets clean as a whistle.

8.2/10

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Got to stick my hand up for Wabi Sabi, new Japanese place on Church Rd, Hove on (I think) the site of the old Hins.

A friend had recommended Issa Sushi on the other side of the road but as we arrived it was obviously shut down. Both Mrs GB and me were still in the mood for Japanese and noticed this place almost opposite.

I'm always wary of recommending Japanese on here given the rather precise requirements of one of my fellow contributors but I have to say the lunch we had was amazing and took us straight back to our days living in Tokyo.

We got a range of dishes and shared them. Gyoza - an entry level test these days - passed with flying colours. Thin casing, delicious filling, piping hot and clearly freshly made. Tempura prawns were as good as that can get, served in a basket with paper to catch any excess oil. A rainbow sushi plate of rolls topped with bass, tuna or salmon was perfectly made, beautifully presented and just the right thing for lunch. Best of all (for me) they have soft shell crab. The Spider Temaki made with that, rice and julienned veg was my favourite dish of the lot.

£50 for two greedy people for lunch but you could easily do it cheaper, we over ordered by adding additional garlic rice that was unnecessary.

And, since I mentioned my fellow mod @Goldstone1976 in passing, I shall now come to the bit where I say we can't wait to go back in the evening and have a go at the sake menu. It seemed hugely comprehensive with ginjo, daiginjo and sparkling sake all on the list.

All in all it's a little more refined than Bincho and just as good. A solid 9/10.
Sounds great. Added to the list; thanks!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Check out the image of a certain mod, and you might find it aligns with a 'seminal' wine that's currently available to buy:

Having met Chen once, I’d hazard a guess that the provenance will be exceptional. That, and the fact that the auctioneer is Sotheby’s, means I’ll be a mere jealous onlooker.

I may have found a magnum from a private cellar that would sell for a far more reasonable price. I’m just checking the provenance as far as I can, since I fully intend to drink it if I get it.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
A friend said they very recently had a marvellous experience at Kindling, on East St. anyone know anything about the place?
Brilliant , I think lunch is small plates and the evening a tasting menu . Really top food and reasonable portions . Best place ive been to in Brighton and will get a michelin star soon

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I had breakfast at the Red Roaster in the Dome last week. Very impressed.

Chilli lamb fry up with a side of bacon was excellent and the wife said her crab and avacado benedict (also with a side of bacon) was good too. The sides of bacon were plentiful (was expecting a tiny amount) and the coffee was excellent. All in, including tip, was 43 which given the portion size and quality represents pretty good value in this town. Can heartily recommend it for something different from the usual.

Service excellent and toilets clean as a whistle.

8.2/10
The former co-owner of Semolina works there which helps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oooooooh yes!

A7B33DD0-1A46-40F0-A9D2-E6A166A4512C.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Glorious burger action
105CA443-2F93-401E-8A58-8B0F3F259269.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
….and a few pickle backs. One way to beat the 6-1 blues

0C742620-6A75-4531-8C4A-B9602EC28F64.jpeg

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A further follow up to my recent surf-and-turf posts:

I went to my restaurant of the moment and had pork meat balls and smoked sprats last night. Doesn’t work as well as pork and sardines but still nice.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I rarely contribute to this but after a really really bad meal at Zuma in Ibiza (primarily woeful service) they've given me a free meal at Zuma London tonight to the tune of £250. Probably because I'm regular of 15 years. But would always recommend this place for consistency and amazing fresh sushi. Massively popular with the Japanese which says a lot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve been watching loads of programs about how americas food standards are so awful that this would be really dangerous there, we are pretty lucky tbh but it has put me off raw mince (I’m 100% for blue/rare steak)
I am not exactly sure what the food standards are in Germany but I have faith in them; I have been eating at this restuarant for over ten years and am not aware of any issues. Same with France and steak tartar and raw fish and shellfish.

I understand you cannot serve a burger rare in the UK though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here