Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Jul 7, 2003
Me too, Lard seems to have disappeared off menus trhese days, l'm still a gret fan.

If you like Lard you'll love Lardo.

Lardo is a type of salumi made by curing strips of fatback with rosemary and other herbs and spices

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
<BoringPedant>

Pizza is very likely Chinese. Yes, really.

I was told this by my Mandarin teacher in Taipei. The letter B and letter P are interchangeable when converting Chinese script into a Roman alphabet word depending on whether you are using the older Wade Giles method or recently adopted Pinyin. This is why Peking (really Peiching) became Beijing (k and j also change) whilst the Chinese name never changed at all. It just means "Northern Capital" (Nanking / Nanjing is the southern capital historically).

Bei-ze is Chinese (when pronounced correctly) for "food which is objects on a round thing". Any Chinese dish that involves something round and cooked with an edible thing on top can be called a Bei-ze - but also under Wade Giles a Pe-ze.

Marco Polo took this idea and brought the dish back to Naples when he returned from China. adapting the make of the base and ingredients on top to what was available in Southern Italy. The same thing explains the similarity between spaghetti and noodles.

</BoringPedant>

So is Peking / Beijing north of Lancing railway station...??? And does that mean that Billingshurst could actually be pronounced Pillingshurst...?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting you say this about Lavash. My STAND OUT light luch spot in town is on the same street. The mixed platter from FilFil is a delight, and cheaper than Lavash's offering. If I can interrupt my radar next time I'm in the vicinity, I'll test your claim.

Will give it a whirl.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They started putting Matchbox and Hot Wheels behind the counter when we were kids. I’d often get my hands on a little Dinky though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Are there any curry fans from my part of the world out there? I cand admit to being a connosseur of the British invented cuisine, but l do enjoy a good blow out from time to time.

Horsham is well blessed with curry houses, most much of a muchness, but l do love the Akash, owned and managed by two brothers for many years, and their father before them. Quality and cleanliness is very good, and always a first rate welcome, prices very reasonable too. I'm planning a visit tomorrow night for my usual Chicken Shashlik Supreme, Lemon Rice, & Saag Paneer, washed down with a palatable cold white wine.

swd40

Mar 22, 2006
Are there any curry fans from my part of the world out there? I cand admit to being a connosseur of the British invented cuisine, but l do enjoy a good blow out from time to time.

Horsham is well blessed with curry houses, most much of a muchness, but l do love the Akash, owned and managed by two brothers for many years, and their father before them. Quality and cleanliness is very good, and always a first rate welcome, prices very reasonable too. I'm planning a visit tomorrow night for my usual Chicken Shashlik Supreme, Lemon Rice, & Saag Paneer, washed down with a palatable cold white wine.

Have you tried https://aktarathome.co.uk/ Bloody lovely and lots of scenes/portions. :rave: ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Latinoamerica, and Cafe Malbec next door, does anyone had experience of wining and dining at either establishment in Hove?

Also are or were they part owned by that man from Argentina at one stage? I'd love to know.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Latinoamerica, and Cafe Malbec next door, does anyone had experience of wining and dining at either establishment in Hove?

Also are or were they part owned by that man from Argentina at one stage? I'd love to know.

Apologies for bouncing the thread, possibly overlooked in the Arsenal build up.

Anyone?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First time back to LFM on Friday. Some big changes, not all of which I approve of, but I suspect are down to the pandemic and losing the old front of house.

Firstly it's been refurbed and is cleaner and modern looking but without the comfort of the cook books everywhere. Duncan told us it's exactly how he wanted it to look and out of four of us, all who had been before, two preferred it and two didn't.

The food was absolutely divine as ever. He really is the best chef in Brighton by a very long way. So flavourful and precise and well thought out. However, he's now serving as well as cooking so he can explain the food, despite having two waitresses there taking orders and serving drinks. It's also one big sitting. This means that the table getting the food last in rotation has it slightly lukewarm. Our cod dish was like that and I'm a man who likes my main dishes piping hot.

The wine provider has also changed and the flight, for me, contained far too many oaked wines. I like oak but not in every glass.

And it's more expensive.

If that had been my first visit I would have raved about it. Having been a lot in the past I think they're down to about an 8.5 / 10 from a solid 10.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Apologies for bouncing the thread, possibly overlooked in the Arsenal build up.

Anyone?

Went to both pre-pandemic. Can’t really remember too much about exactly what we had to eat/drink other than the food being very good and the overall experience was positive.

Cafe Malbec was for a lazy Sunday brunch and couldn’t fault the food or the relaxed atmosphere. It was a Sunday in January so quite quiet and the staff were very friendly in explaining Argentine cruise and making suggestions or maybe they were just bored and wanted someone to talk to!! Was all very relaxed and unhurried though.

Latinoamerica was for a Saturday evening. We were upstairs which felt a little bit away from where everything was happening but again no complaints about the food or service. The staff were also very helpful and it similarly all felt relaxed and unhurried.

Seem to remember various framed Albion shirts on the walls and photos of Ulloa and Bruno in the restaurant.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Kolbeh in Worthing last weekend. It’s been going under the radar for a while - Persian food in a slightly ‘glam’ setting. Their social media presence is lacking, as is much about their menu but had seen some good reviews.

Usual starters of nice breads, hummus, aubergine dip type thing, and a lovely blitzed chicken paste type Russian salad thing.

Mains are generally grilled kebabs or lamb chops, as well as a chicken curry served with incredible rice and salad. The veggie in our group had an aubergine & chickpea curry, I had the mixed lamb & beef which although fairly pricey at £20 was extremely filling.

Really not sure where they are aiming - it’s kind of trendy but not really well advertised or anything. Also big mark down for beer offerings - bottles of Desperados or Carlsberg are the options and neither are what I’d call premium. Especially when the crates of Carlsberg are stacked against the end of the bar marked at £9.99 for 12 bottles being sold at £5 a go….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here