Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2024 thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good to hear. What would you rank as the number one pizza place in Brighton these days? Or top 3?
Overall quality of pizza in the UK has improved immeasurably of late. I had a really good one in Glasgow last week at Paesano. I don't eat out that often, and try to limit my pizza input so I continue to enjoy it. I've refrained from stating this on here as it's so difficult to get in, but the clear winner is VIP, but I haven't been for c6-12 months (but had a takeaway a month ago, which was up to usual standard).
Next up would be the likes of Pizza 500 and the small chains of Franca Manca and Fatto A Mano are both good. Because it's our local, we use Rustico probably the most for a take away, which is fine.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Mrs DCH and I had a nice pizza in Fatto A Mano at the weekend. Their dough is always good and not too skimpy on the toppings like some places.

I also had a visit to Flint House last week with some work colleagues. Although they say it is small plates, I see it more as picking your main and sides separately but to be honest, the potato based sides could easily be shared. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Special mention to the Creme Brulee Doughnut which was very good - we only ordered them as a donation is made to charity for each one sold and not because we were pigs and they sounded great - honest!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Went to Wild Flor for the second time on Tuesday
It got a boost a few months back with a very positive review from Nick Lander of the FT -- see below.
Food quality was better than first visit. I had an OK-ish trout starter (it had too much unadvertised dill in it, which is one of my least favourite foodstuffs), but an excellent main which was a Cornish mutton chop with a kofta on the side, pink fir pots and grapes. It was deeply flavoured, and expertly cooked such that the fat had been crisped up deliciously. The two others had a veal chop with truffle butter which was stunning. An impressive plate of cheese to follow. Service was very good.
We went because they do (and encourage) corkage at £20 a bottle, so we drank a fair few bottles of very nice wine. Will be going back again. Shows how much Brighton's restaurant scene has come on of late -- or B&H, as the better ones are in Hove. Highly recommended.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Good to hear. What would you rank as the number one pizza place in Brighton these days? Or top 3?
Purezza is still outstanding for vegan pizzas, went there last Friday and the quality was excellent.

PXL_20240329_140136055.PORTRAIT.jpg

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
A couple of weeks ago we tried the set lunch at Fourth and Church that Machiavelli recommended. Really good food and very reasonable, think it came to around £90 for the 2 of us with drinks.

Have put a once a month lunch with the wife in the diary so looking for other recommendations of places to go (in Hove ideally)!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Overall quality of pizza in the UK has improved immeasurably of late. I had a really good one in Glasgow last week at Paesano. I don't eat out that often, and try to limit my pizza input so I continue to enjoy it. I've refrained from stating this on here as it's so difficult to get in, but the clear winner is VIP, but I haven't been for c6-12 months (but had a takeaway a month ago, which was up to usual standard).
Next up would be the likes of Pizza 500 and the small chains of Franca Manca and Fatto A Mano are both good. Because it's our local, we use Rustico probably the most for a take away, which is fine.

Totally agree about the general improvement of the UK's pizza game. VIP got the ball rolling but since then a number of great places have popped up. Thankfully, there has been a similar revolution in Spain.

I went to the Rustico in Lewes shortly after it opened and was more than satisfied with my Margherita with added guanciale.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A couple of weeks ago we tried the set lunch at Fourth and Church that Machiavelli recommended. Really good food and very reasonable, think it came to around £90 for the 2 of us with drinks.

Have put a once a month lunch with the wife in the diary so looking for other recommendations of places to go (in Hove ideally)!
Glad you enjoyed it. If you scroll a few posts up, there's another recommendation. It's a little more trad in what it does than 4&C, but I'm happy with both approaches when done well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Totally agree about the general improvement of the UK's pizza game. VIP got the ball rolling but since then a number of great places have popped up. Thankfully, there has been a similar revolution in Spain.

I went to the Rustico in Lewes shortly after it opened and was more than satisfied with my Margherita with added guanciale.
Yes, and you're right that it's been the small independents that have driven quality up.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Squisito, Lewes
Went there for lunch last Monday, on the back of a recommendation by Paul at 4&C and here I am relaying the favour. At lunch they do a set menu for £20. I doubt there's too many better value/quality set menus around. It's set in the Needlemakers building which makes it more daytime-focused -- it opens for lunch and breakfast most (every?) days, and in the evening over the w/e. On arrival, there's a tray of freshly-baked focaccia on the counter, always a nice touch. It was delicious too. Basic starters -- olives, parma ham, anchovies -- but really good versions of all of these, particularly the olives. Choice of pasta dishes for mains, and they do pasta brilliantly. Italians like eating pasta for lunch and on a weekday lunchtime with decent weather sitting in an inside/outside space, it was a little like being transported to Italy. And then almond panna cotta with rhubarb compote for dessert. All impeccably executed.
Will be going back in the evening to attack their wine menu and have a more extended acquaintance with their hospitality.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fork, Lewes
Second visit to Lewes in a couple of weeks for lunch. Grace Dent -- see below -- rates this highly. I like it, but Squisito (see above) suits me much better. Spring was just breaking through on the menu. My partner had asparagus and potato soup which was nice without being thrilling, whereas I had a fresh crab with citrus starter. Then a very good fish and chips, and a really nice duck dish with potato fondant and asparagus. A sticky toffee with ginger pud to share. Interesting wine list but we didn't go too heavy on it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wild Lemon - Shoreham

Previously Brio, not a massive menu but reasonably food starters of Sweet potatoes, coconut, cashew nuts fritters and both had pizzas which we OK although rather top heavy on crust. Nice bottle of red, reasonably priced bill but as per the norm a service charge added.

However around half-way through meal two couples come with a dog in tow.

Won't be back there in a hurry.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
Wild Lemon - Shoreham

Previously Brio, not a massive menu but reasonably food starters of Sweet potatoes, coconut, cashew nuts fritters and both had pizzas which we OK although rather top heavy on crust. Nice bottle of red, reasonably priced bill but as per the norm a service charge added.

We eventually got around to visiting Wild Lemon. We weren't overly impressed to be honest and didn't find it value for money.

We had some olives to nibble before our mains (we can't manage starters and mains if we're going to share a dessert after). £3 for 5 olives! Main course we both went for the braised lamb shoulder at £20 - wasn't that great. £5 for overcooked mixed veg. £7 for an 'OK' 'Traditional Cream Brûlée'.

My wife likes a glass of port at the end of the meal. They had no idea what they had so after some searching came back with two different bottles as they didn't have a clue about the different ports.

Won't be going back ... in a hurry or otherwise.

Jul 7, 2003
Wild Lemon - Shoreham

I saw that Brio in Worthing has been renamed Fratelli’s but is run by the son of the original owner. Comes with some new crap about “the menu has been updated to better reflect the family’s Italian heritage”.

Does the Shoreham one come with a similar load of marketing rubbish?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I saw that Brio in Worthing has been renamed Fratelli’s but is run by the son of the original owner. Comes with some new crap about “the menu has been updated to better reflect the family’s Italian heritage”.

Does the Shoreham one come with a similar load of marketing rubbish?
Most definite, authentic this etc as stated it really is a very limited menu

Toscas is our normal joint although if a Pizza the Tides is pretty good

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I finally made it to etch. by Steven Edwards the other night.

Excellent. Clearly. It was always going to be tbf. Loved the subtle, not in your face, seasonality of it all. The lean towards local ingrediants without having to shout about it. Everything is geared towards you having a nice time without having to think too much, with a some really good cooking.

Stand out was a raw minced lamb pie, a play on a mince pie, that came with a really good celeriac soup/foam/whatever. There were two excellent sorbets, one of which was part of a really good optional cheese course (this cost 12 quid which is very keen considering what you get on the plate). We baulked at 18 quid for the optional scallops, though could see plenty going for it.

Somwhere you can spend a lot of money if you want to but they do have semi accessible menus at 75 for 7 courses (plus snacks I should add).

I wasn't drinking but had a very good non boozy cocktail and they do have some very goood wine at 6 quid for 125ml (a good price imo).

9/10

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I finally made it to etch. by Steven Edwards the other night.

Excellent. Clearly. It was always going to be tbf. Loved the subtle, not in your face, seasonality of it all. The lean towards local ingrediants without having to shout about it. Everything is geared towards you having a nice time without having to think too much, with a some really good cooking.

Stand out was a raw minced lamb pie, a play on a mince pie, that came with a really good celeriac soup/foam/whatever. There were two excellent sorbets, one of which was part of a really good optional cheese course (this cost 12 quid which is very keen considering what you get on the plate). We baulked at 18 quid for the optional scallops, though could see plenty going for it.

Somwhere you can spend a lot of money if you want to but they do have semi accessible menus at 75 for 7 courses (plus snacks I should add).

I wasn't drinking but had a very good non boozy cocktail and they do have some very goood wine at 6 quid for 125ml (a good price imo).

9/10
Ohhh, this is encouraging.

We're going in a couple of weeks for our anniversary. On our first visit the food was incredible, but the service was offish and snobby as soon as they knew we'd be using a voucher in part payment - one they put out to attract custom!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Ohhh, this is encouraging.

We're going in a couple of weeks for our anniversary. On our first visit the food was incredible, but the service was offish and snobby as soon as they knew we'd be using a voucher in part payment - one they put out to attract custom!
We really liked the service. Edwards came over a few times (not in a look at me way) and a couple of the other chefs brought courses over. Found it all nice and relaxed.

A colleague was there the same evening who would warn you off the wine flight, if that is your thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here