Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2017

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Finally popped into the newly revamped Redroaster for lunch and it missed the mark somewhat. Service was slow, and a bit useless. It wasn't overly busy yet they struggled to seat us and fumbled up the minimal queue of people coming in.

The old redroaster used to do the best coffee in Brighton; it was still pretty good but lacked precision. My crab on toast (with a whole load of additional bits) was utterly delicious, but stingy as hell for £11.50 worth of scran. Mrs MBH had the pork benedict which was also very good, but VERY underseasoned. Sounds nitpicky, but this stuff matters when you're charging what they are.

Yes it looks beautiful inside, yes it's nice to sit and watch chefs doing their thing (calling for service over and over while plates were left on the pass) but I won't be rushing back.

Anyway, I was still hungry after so stopped at the new Belgian Chip place a few doors up. £3 for a medium portion of excellent chips with garlic mayo. Not bad at all.

I've used RedRoaster as my second office for about 15 years now, but it went downhill when it changed hands, while also becoming 15% more expensive overnight. I've vowed not to go back there given its makeover, which I'm less fond of than you. You're right, the Belgian Chip place is excellent, and there's a cracking new coffee shop a bit further down the road. It's called Twin Pines, and really does excellent coffee. It does seem as though you're walking into a neocolonial joint, and an episode of Nathan Barley though, which is some combination.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone tried the steakhouse in Lancing (Miller and Carter's I think)? It's part of a chain and seems a bit out of place in a West Sussex village of all places. I went to the Newcastle branch last year and thought it was excellent. Not cheap, but they know how to cook a steak to your liking and the ambience makes it well worth a visit in my book anyway.

Been a couple of times but both times were with a supplier and I was very glad I wasn't paying. Steak is just a bit shy in price of the Coal Shed and the Coal Shed steaks are so so much better. Other food is OK - someone had the minute steak and it was tough as old boots. I had the lamb which was average - no choice on how it was cooked though. I've worked in a Harvester restaurant before and I have to say M&C would appear to be trying to replicate the model but on a slightly higher level. Clearly every dish is pre-packaged and the 'chefs' have the picture instruction manuals. Expensive and I would never pay it out of my own pocket. If a supplier wants to take me there again then I'd go under sufferance !

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I've used RedRoaster as my second office for about 15 years now, but it went downhill when it changed hands, while also becoming 15% more expensive overnight. I've vowed not to go back there given its makeover, which I'm less fond of than you. You're right, the Belgian Chip place is excellent, and there's a cracking new coffee shop a bit further down the road. It's called Twin Pines, and really does excellent coffee. It does seem as though you're walking into a neocolonial joint, and an episode of Nathan Barley though, which is some combination.

Yeah I like Twin Pines a lot. You're right it is a bit Barleyesque, but they are a very friendly bunch who take a great deal of care over the coffee preparation (as you would expect when they're charging you £3 a cup.)

Shame about Redroaster though.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Been a couple of times but both times were with a supplier and I was very glad I wasn't paying. Steak is just a bit shy in price of the Coal Shed and the Coal Shed steaks are so so much better. Other food is OK - someone had the minute steak and it was tough as old boots. I had the lamb which was average - no choice on how it was cooked though. I've worked in a Harvester restaurant before and I have to say M&C would appear to be trying to replicate the model but on a slightly higher level. Clearly every dish is pre-packaged and the 'chefs' have the picture instruction manuals. Expensive and I would never pay it out of my own pocket. If a supplier wants to take me there again then I'd go under sufferance !

Fair enough. If I'm honest I didn't foot the bill either when I went a few months back, and they do a good job of plying you with extra alcohol while you wait for your table reservation. Maybe those factors made me think a bit better of the restaurant. Or, maybe my standards are set lower!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Miller and Carter is part of the M & B Pubs managed house arm the same company as Harvester, Ember Inns, Toby Carvery Crown Carveries and Stonehouse Pizza and Carvery (Thge Sportrsman Witrhdean) I think that it is ok as part of a large chain and better than most of their other company names as mentioned above but not comparable to a decent private steak house or even Aberdeen Steak Houses.but that is just my opinion others may think differently.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Miller and carter is pretty decent to be honest. Been there a lot of times and most have been excellent. £23 for a fillet with the amount of extras you get is miles cheaper than the coal shed ect.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Miller and Carter is part of the M & B Pubs managed house arm the same company as Harvester, Ember Inns, Toby Carvery Crown Carveries and Stonehouse Pizza and Carvery (Thge Sportrsman Witrhdean) I think that it is ok as part of a large chain and better than most of their other company names as mentioned above but not comparable to a decent private steak house or even Aberdeen Steak Houses.but that is just my opinion others may think differently.

That explains a lot and absolutely means I would never personally pay to eat there !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Wow. Surprised. M&C is light years ahead of 70s throwback Aberdeen Steak Houses that are mainly designed to mug tourists in London.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wow. Surprised. M&C is light years ahead of 70s throwback Aberdeen Steak Houses that are mainly designed to mug tourists in London.

I have only visited the one in Lancing so not much to judge by but as I said only my opinion but I have never had a bad meal in Aberdeenj Steak House in Preston St, Mind you I had some decent ones in the Sussex Steak House in Mill Rd Burgess Hill during its short life there. Now another Indian .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have only visited the one in Lancing so not much to judge by but as I said only my opinion but I have never had a bad meal in Aberdeenj Steak House in Preston St, Mind you I had some decent ones in the Sussex Steak House in Mill Rd Burgess Hill during its short life there. Now another Indian .

Sussex Steak House was OK some of the time, but badly managed. Went there a few times and they were always out of at least 2-3 cuts of meat. M&C is better than the Sussex Steak House ever was.

I'll accept the pisstaking for this, but the Acorn (Beefeater) in Burgess Hill does a pretty decent steak for what they charge. Not exactly Goodman's (best steak I've had in the UK) but decent enough.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
On topic with steak. I've been to a lot of steak places in the world and all the main ones in NYC ...Sparks , lugers, Keens, quality meat etc

Cut is probably the best steakhouse in LA and Vegas and I would say that cut at 45 park lane is the best in london, the a5 kobe is as good as anything I've had in Japan.

Generally I think steak places in London are near enough on par with any of the major US cities now.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On topic with steak. I've been to a lot of steak places in the world and all the main ones in NYC ...Sparks , lugers, Keens, quality meat etc

Cut is probably the best steakhouse in LA and Vegas and I would say that cut at 45 park lane is the best in london, the a5 kobe is as good as anything I've had in Japan.

Generally I think steak places in London are near enough on par with any of the major US cities now.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Always liked the Capital Grille in NYC - they do a porcini-rubbed delmonico that is just fantastic. Yours for about $65. Best for quality and value though has to be in South Africa, somewhere like the Butcher's Shop in Joburg - amazing steaks and great wines and you'll struggle to spend £20 a head.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Finally popped into the newly revamped Redroaster for lunch and it missed the mark somewhat. Service was slow, and a bit useless. It wasn't overly busy yet they struggled to seat us and fumbled up the minimal queue of people coming in.

I thought the name looked familiar so looked it up. It's the place with some Matt Gillan involvement that I happened to see by chance on a video of one of those zillionaire Brighton Youtubers. I thought there and then "if they like it, I'm unlikely to" and you've not swayed me from that viewpoint!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Looking for a reasonably priced restaurant for my birthday. Done the usuals but quite up for trying Cin Cin. Has anyone been and if so do you think it okay for a sit down thing or is it more informal?

Cheers

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I've been back to Busby and Wilds, this time for a roast.

Cooking great as always but I'm done with roasts. So BORING. Even cooked well they are dull dull dull.

The sticky toffee pudding was off the chain as always which livened things up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here