Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Thought I would put my first review on here. Went on Saturday night to The Woods in Portland Road, Worthing. A new family run Burger restaurant, owned by the people that own Pinchos y Tapas.

It was ok, very much a work in progress. The food was really good, certainly the best burger in Worthing right now. However it was absolutely packed, and I get the feeling that even if the space was doubled, they'd still be full. As it was, we had to book a table for 9pm. Service was a little iffy - we arrived at 8:40pm, expecting to be able to grab a beer by the bar, but that was already full of people waiting, so they told us to go and wait in the Libertine across the way. Not great, in my opinion, as they lost out on another round of drinks.

As I say, the burgers are great, the sizes are reasonable (sides, in my opinion, too big to be called sides, but well priced for what they are). Total bill for 3 people was £51, for three burgers, 5 sides, a milkshake and a desert (drinks bought separately, and about £15 for two pints and a G&T).

As I say, very much a work in progress, I'd definitely go back, and they will get better in terms of service, and what I'm not taking into account is the "newness" of the restaurant. I'd give it a go if you like Burgers and are in the Worthing area, but Meat Liquor and Coggings are doing it better in Brighton. Maybe in 6 months time, they will be up to that level, as the food certainly is up there, and they are trying hard.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Coincidentally, I was up in London on Sunday with the family and we ate at Honest burgers in Soho. Anyone who says a burger is just a burger has not eaten at Honest burgers. It's by far the best burger I've had and the chips with rosemary are very moreish too. I don't much like the burgers at Burger Brothers in North Road but that's solely because the sauce that they cover the burgers in leaves an after-taste that lasts hours.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That's like saying all steaks are equivalent. A good steak cooked well is very different from a cheap steak cooked badly. Surely you think that's true?

I agree about a steak but once it is minced it becomes unrecognisable and any form of steak could be used I would assume. I was once told by a butcher that braising steak is the best steak to cook on a BBQ rather than sirloin , Rib eye or rump for taste

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I agree about a steak but once it is minced it becomes unrecognisable and any form of steak could be used I would assume. I was once told by a butcher that braising steak is the best steak to cook on a BBQ rather than sirloin , Rib eye or rump for taste

Sure, but my point is the way you cook it does matter. A McDonalds burger doesn't taste the same as a Grubbs burger, let alone Burger Brothers.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Egg and Spoon in Kemptown.

DELICIOUS Salt Beef & chipotle sandwich if you've got £6.50 burning a hole in your pocket.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It doesn't take much kit to knock up a decent burger at home. I have teenage sons and the occasional barbecue that justifies this investment.

1 Burger press - if you prefer loose packed patties you don't even need one of these.
2 Wax disks
3 Cast iron griddle pan
4 Burger dome
5 Water spray

You can buy quite decent brioche buns in the supermarkets (I have tried Aldi and Waitrose little difference other than the cost).
Making your own relishes is also an option. I have a large tub of sweet chilli sauce in the fridge, which took around 30 minutes to make from a pounds worth of chillis from Shoreham market.

I have had a couple of burgers lately from the Trolls Pantry hut under the bridge and no complaints from me on quality.

Could you just use a deep bowl as a dome? Is it just to melt the cheese? And why the water spray?

Don't really bother with burgers at home much but knowing the tricks could tempt me to give it a go!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Could you just use a deep bowl as a dome? Is it just to melt the cheese? And why the water spray?

Don't really bother with burgers at home much but knowing the tricks could tempt me to give it a go!

You could just use a bowl, just a bit challenging lifting it off when you have finished.
The water spray isn't strictly necessary, it just helps to steam the burger and bun under the dome.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I only out the burger under the dome, not the bun, surely that will make it soggy?

Tried smash burgers the other week, they were nice and you could buy beer as well, Brooklyn beer for me.

Also went to GB1 last week for Sunday dinner. 2 courses, starter and main, I went for the beef and the wife the chicken. Both very good with humongous Yorkshire puds! With a bottle of Merlot came to £67, the two courses are £17.99 plus a coffee. I definitely want to go back for the seafood one day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have just looked at the BBC food recipes for a burger for some guidance especially James Martin as I like most of his recipes but they are all much of a muchness with no added ingredients just minced steak and onion. Some add red wine vinegar but the basic recipe is the same mix the mince with onions pat into 4 and leave in the fridge for an hour before grilling. For the price people pay in a burger restaurant there must be more to it to warrant the price charged..

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have just looked at the BBC food recipes for a burger for some guidance especially James Martin as I like most of his recipes but they are all much of a muchness with no added ingredients just minced steak and onion. Some add red wine vinegar but the basic recipe is the same mix the mince with onions pat into 4 and leave in the fridge for an hour before grilling. For the price people pay in a burger restaurant there must be more to it to warrant the price charged..

Choice of additionals, seasoning, bun, chef???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

There's quality of the ingredients, how it's cooked plus the service and surroundings to add into the price.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I do not understand this ' how it is cooked' for a burger it is grilled end of no cooking skill required.

How well do you like it cooked?

A thin compact burger will cook evenly. A wider patty loosely packed will be rarer in the centre, unless you won't to completely char the edges and dry out the patty.
You can vary the coarseness of the mince and the fat content, use meats other than beef, lamb are excellent beef and pork works, white meats tend to lack fat and can be dry alone.
All this before you add salads, sauces, cheese, bacon or whatever takes your fancy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How well do you like it cooked?

A thin compact burger will cook evenly. A wider patty loosely packed will be rarer in the centre, unless you won't to completely char the edges and dry out the patty.
You can vary the coarseness of the mince and the fat content, use meats other than beef, lamb are excellent beef and pork works, white meats tend to lack fat and can be dry alone.
All this before you add salads, sauces, cheese, bacon or whatever takes your fancy.

Surely if you roll out the meat to the same thickness through out it will cook evenly. Do you buy the beef already minced by your butcher or do it yourself.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Surely if you roll out the meat to the same thickness through out it will cook evenly. Do you buy the beef already minced by your butcher or do it yourself.
Eh? Only if they are thin. The big thick burgers tend to be premium quality and don't cook evenly exactly the same way as a thick steak.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here