Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah this place is my local and the introduction of pies has been a good one. Before they would order in from pizza face across the road which was also acceptable- I'm not sure when they last prepared food on site. It's an alright pub in general- I was hoping after the refurb that they'd get a few different beers in but they've stuck to what they had before- not that they've got a bad selection. Staff are friendly if a bit young and possibly stonerish. As for the pies it's a good selection and good quality- one complaint being that yesterday me and the Wife went and her mash wasn't that hot. Otherwise a good experience all round

One of the guys working on Saturday night was EXTREMELY stoned, though this didn't impair his ability to collect glasses nor his friendliness so it was all good!

Beer selection is just about okay, as you say.

Oct 25, 2003
What's 24 St Georges in Kemp Town like? I walk past it all the time and always feel like an absolute PAUPER as it looks dead posh

Is it the kind of place that you wait for your mum to come to town to go to so you don't have to pay for it?

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Word of warning, I went to the new i360 restaurant - Belle Vue 2 weeks ago and was hugely disappointed and I would definitely not go back.

The decor looks like a work canteen, very sterile and cold as the electric doors blast freezing cold air into the building every time anyone walks past them.

In terms of the food the price tag doesn't match with how it's served. The Etch Burger Experience costs £20, but it comes served on a plastic tray with chips, which could easily be from Mc Donalds served in a cardboard carton. I have no problem paying for quality produce, ie. the Trechmore Beef that the patties are made from but I do expect a plate for that price.

There's a more detailed review on my food blog here if you're interested: http://foodieeshe.com/review-belle-vue-i360-restaurant/

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I think the Barley Mow has lost its character since the refurb. It wasn't broken, i liked it the way it was, a bit tatty round the edges. Place looks a bit sterile now.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What's 24 St Georges in Kemp Town like? I walk past it all the time and always feel like an absolute PAUPER as it looks dead posh

Is it the kind of place that you wait for your mum to come to town to go to so you don't have to pay for it?

I went two years ago and loved it, best meal in ages. Very similar to Gingerman in Brighton.

I'm going again Thursday night for my wedding anniversary.

Went to Semolina Saturday and was really impressed with this too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Word of warning, I went to the new i360 restaurant - Belle Vue 2 weeks ago and was hugely disappointed and I would definitely not go back.

The decor looks like a work canteen, very sterile and cold as the electric doors blast freezing cold air into the building every time anyone walks past them.

In terms of the food the price tag doesn't match with how it's served. The Etch Burger Experience costs £20, but it comes served on a plastic tray with chips, which could easily be from Mc Donalds served in a cardboard carton. I have no problem paying for quality produce, ie. the Trechmore Beef that the patties are made from but I do expect a plate for that price.

There's a more detailed review on my food blog here if you're interested: http://foodieeshe.com/review-belle-vue-i360-restaurant/

I read your review last night Eshe and thought you'd missed the point with the burger and fries as both your description and the pictures suggest that the restaurant is just being a bit playful with their presentation of the burger dish: it looks like McDonalads, but it's a long way from McDonalds sort of thing, as you acknowledge with the sourcing and composite ingredients. I accept that this quirky presentation won't be to everyone's tastes and also the food could miss the mark, but it didn't strike me that the restaurant was being cheap with how they served that dish.

As for the general ambience - there really can't be anything worse in Winter months than dining somewhere and being exposed to a cold draught every time someone comes and goes (and forgets to close the door behind them) so to have automatic doors in this particular location feels like a dreadful design decision.

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
I read your review last night Eshe and thought you'd missed the point with the burger and fries as both your description and the pictures suggest that the restaurant is just being a bit playful with their presentation of the burger dish: it looks like McDonalads, but it's a long way from McDonalds sort of thing, as you acknowledge with the sourcing and composite ingredients. I accept that this quirky presentation won't be to everyone's tastes and also the food could miss the mark, but it didn't strike me that the restaurant was being cheap with how they served that dish.

As for the general ambience - there really can't be anything worse in Winter months than dining somewhere and being exposed to a cold draught every time someone comes and goes (and forgets to close the door behind them) so to have automatic doors in this particular location feels like a dreadful design decision.

Hi Bozza,

Thanks for reading my review.

Interestingly, Troll Burger sources locally and its burgers are under £10, so I don't think the price tag is justified personally.

The chips weren't that special, just like McDonald's as I mentioned in the review, so I'm really paying £20 for the burger and a cider - which feels wrong to me.

Happy to agree to disagree on the pressenatation as that's a matter of personal taste - I feel quite strongly that a plastic tray is tacky - not quirky though!

And the coldness came not just from the doors but the sterile style of decor. A double door would have been a better design.

I honestly can't see locals flocking there when we have so many better restaurants in the city.

Last edited:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Must say, i think what they've done with the bottom but of the i360 is really ugly, and just peering through the window convinced me to never set foot in there..

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Gordon Ramseys - Corralejo Beach

As it was Canarian night at our half-board hotel and looked poor decided to venture out but I am not convinced the great man is aware of this one.

Starters - calamari and garlic bread, very nice

Mains - me baby back succulent ribs however hardly succulent about as tough as a Spanish builders boot. Mrs Hut, a Porterhouse steak far more agreeable.

6/10

Oh and freezing cold red wine, rather nice as well

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Cin Cin - New Restaurant

Just a heads up that there's a new Italian opening tomorrow on Vine Street in the North Laine (round the corner from Bills) - it's called CIN CIN.

More of a bar with an open kitchen, than a fully-fledged restaurant but from what I tried at the press night on Friday it was very good and all authentic Italian food.

I'm heading down for lunch tomorrow to check it out properly, but there's a little bit on the my blog about it already: http://foodieeshe.com/new-restaurant-cin-cin-italian/

If you fancy it too, you can't book for now, just turn up and grab a spot at the counter bar. I recommend the Arancini, which was cooked to crispy perfection!

Interested to hear if anyone else goes and what their experience is like.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Barbary; Neal's Yard, London

Founded about 6 months ago by the same team as run Palomar, The Barbary is a no reservation, 24-seat restaurant serving North African-based food. There are no tables; instead there are fixed stools around an elongated horseshoe-shaped bar with the kitchen in the middle. It is buzzing and busy as hell.

We had:

Naan
Zhug, harrissa, burnt and pickled chilli dip
A Morroccan taramasalata thing (izak?)
Big Lamb & Beef arayes

Chicken Msachen
Monkfish Chermoulah
Octopus Mashawsha
Cauliflower Jaffa style

2* Manzanilla
A bottle of albarino
2* double diplomatico special reserve rum

The cooking is unusual - very flavourful - colourful and intense. We particularly liked the bread, the zhug and the samosa thing. We had more than enough to eat (even though we basically ordered the quantities they suggested). Food came very quickly - too quickly, perhaps - presumably because the queue was ridiculous.

It's extremely well reviewed - we very much liked it, but thought it just slightly underperformed against the very peak expectations that had been set. That said, a very solid 9/10.

£142 (including service - no other tip was expected)

If you'd like to go, get there early - or be prepared for a looooong wait. We got there at 4:45 and had to wait 20 minutes. By the time we left at 6:30, there was a 2 hour queue.

PS - we then went to see No Man's Land with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, which was very good. Brilliant acting from two thesps at the very top of their game, slightly let down by the fact that Pinter's work is so bloody impenetrable.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just a heads up that there's a new Italian opening tomorrow on Vine Street in the North Laine (round the corner from Bills) - it's called CIN CIN.

More of a bar with an open kitchen, than a fully-fledged restaurant but from what I tried at the press night on Friday it was very good and all authentic Italian food.

I'm heading down for lunch tomorrow to check it out properly, but there's a little bit on the my blog about it already: http://foodieeshe.com/new-restaurant-cin-cin-italian/

If you fancy it too, you can't book for now, just turn up and grab a spot at the counter bar. I recommend the Arancini, which was cooked to crispy perfection!

Interested to hear if anyone else goes and what their experience is like.

Only just seen this - CIN CIN did a pop up at 10 Green Bottles a few weeks ago and I have to say the food was cracking. They mentioned they were due to open soon. Definitely on my list to try.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Managed to book a table at Isaac over Xmas period. Looking forward to it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Weekend away last week with Mrs W. This time to Bailiffs Court in Climping. Food was superb, absolutely spot on.

My starter was a quail Waldorf salad. Followed by lamb perfectly done. Mrs W had pheasant. The desserts were a cheeseboard and probably the best dessert I've ever had - apple and caramel tarte with vanilla ice cream. Never tasted anything quite like it and I've had a lot of tartes in my time !

We did it as a Sunday Night package but separately it's something like £60 per head before drinks but worth every penny.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Weekend away last week with Mrs W. This time to Bailiffs Court in Climping. Food was superb, absolutely spot on.

My starter was a quail Waldorf salad. Followed by lamb perfectly done. Mrs W had pheasant. The desserts were a cheeseboard and probably the best dessert I've ever had - apple and caramel tarte with vanilla ice cream. Never tasted anything quite like it and I've had a lot of tartes in my time !

We did it as a Sunday Night package but separately it's something like £60 per head before drinks but worth every penny.

That menu ticks every food box I have - sounds fantastic. On the list it goes. Thanks!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That menu ticks every food box I have - sounds fantastic. On the list it goes. Thanks!

Just bear in mind it is absolutely seasonal so what is on their website isn't necessarily what's on the menu that night. I've been about 5 times now and never had a bad meal.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Just bear in mind it is absolutely seasonal so what is on their website isn't necessarily what's on the menu that night. I've been about 5 times now and never had a bad meal.

Yep - I guessed that might be the case, given there's a lot of game on the menu atm. I do like game, so will try to get down soon. If not, a seasonal menu is always attractive - I can always go at another time and revisit late autumn next year!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Barbary; Neal's Yard, London

Founded about 6 months ago by the same team as run Palomar, The Barbary is a no reservation, 24-seat restaurant serving North African-based food. There are no tables; instead there are fixed stools around an elongated horseshoe-shaped bar with the kitchen in the middle. It is buzzing and busy as hell.

We had:

Naan
Zhug, harrissa, burnt and pickled chilli dip
A Morroccan taramasalata thing (izak?)
Big Lamb & Beef arayes

Chicken Msachen
Monkfish Chermoulah
Octopus Mashawsha
Cauliflower Jaffa style

2* Manzanilla
A bottle of albarino
2* double diplomatico special reserve rum

The cooking is unusual - very flavourful - colourful and intense. We particularly liked the bread, the zhug and the samosa thing. We had more than enough to eat (even though we basically ordered the quantities they suggested). Food came very quickly - too quickly, perhaps - presumably because the queue was ridiculous.

It's extremely well reviewed - we very much liked it, but thought it just slightly underperformed against the very peak expectations that had been set. That said, a very solid 9/10.

£142 (including service - no other tip was expected)

If you'd like to go, get there early - or be prepared for a looooong wait. We got there at 4:45 and had to wait 20 minutes. By the time we left at 6:30, there was a 2 hour queue.

PS - we then went to see No Man's Land with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, which was very good. Brilliant acting from two thesps at the very top of their game, slightly let down by the fact that Pinter's work is so bloody impenetrable.

We've already had No Man's Land round these parts. Will the Barbary also join us on the south coast?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

My personal favourite is tarte tatine, which is a caramised apple puff pastry dish from Normandy, which is cooked upside down (pastry on top) but served apple side up, delicious with ice cream. Mrs Rolls has been to Baliffs Court for a pampering session, the infinity pool is impressive apparently, although maybe less so in November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here