Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Interesting! I've had amazing lunches at both which I why I used them as examples. I guess what I was trying to say is Brighton seems to me to aim for a young, trendy crowd rather than starred places.

I'd agree with that latter point, but they're just catering to their audience aren't they -- the likes of Guinness Boy, Herr Tubthumpher and Machiavelli, that young, trendy crowd :eek:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They have two and three stars respectively. I had my most disappointing meal at the latter, and preferred Set.

I've been to Gordon Ramsey. It was good, very good, although it was 5 years ago. His food isn't very inventive though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would it take somewhere that was genuinely fine dining rather than a "concept" or "experience"? A bit of a nod backwards?

I like Brighton but it can get really, really samey. One gourmet burger place opens and suddenly there are ten or so. 64 degrees comes along and suddenly there are a couple of clones. Organic food and set menu concepts abound. But there's nothing close to, say Le Manoir or Restaurant Gordon Ramsey. Maybe we're just too damn hipster-ish

I've never understood why Brighton doesn't have a few stars either. There's a couple dotted around the Sussex countryside but nothing else.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You are remarkably proficient at informing us of places that used to be good :) What is currently good?

Am I? Sorry about that... Which were the other places?!

Don't get to eat out as much as I used to as have a baby and don't live in Brighton. But the Curry Leaf Cafe is my current top pick.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've never understood why Brighton doesn't have a few stars either. There's a couple dotted around the Sussex countryside but nothing else.

I'll add that my best meal in the UK in 2015* was at The Pass out near Horsham. One star and a fantastic experience. I'd recommend anyone to try it. Push the boat out and stay over at South Lodge too.

We've been to Restaurant Tristan in central Horsham, another one star and it was decent enough. I think I've had better non-starred though.

(* - best was the 3-starred Jean-Georges in New York)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Am I? Sorry about that... Which were the other places?!

Don't get to eat out as much as I used to as have a baby and don't live in Brighton. But the Curry Leaf Cafe is my current top pick.

Hope that helps.

I must try Curry Leaf again, liked it first time. I seem to remember you claiming Chilli Pickle had gone downhill (which was verified by my last visit, but that's not enough for me to write it off just yet, as I've had numerous excellent meals there), but that might be my memory playing malicious tricks on me/you.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
As a side I note that Fishy Fishy has closed. No great loss food wise but evidently it came out of the blue for the staff and January is a shit time to pick up work at short notice. They have revealed that they were in the red to an extent that closure was inevitable yet have squeezed the busy festive period out of their staff and hung them out to dry.
I went there 3 times. Never my choice but I was with people who wanted to experience Dermot O'TV's restraunt (I shit you not).
Nothing wrong or particularly memorable about the food but all the staff were spot on everytime I went. Good luck to them (the staff, not the owners).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As a side I note that Fishy Fishy has closed. No great loss food wise but evidently it came out of the blue for the staff and January is a shit time to pick up work at short notice. They have revealed that they were in the red to an extent that closure was inevitable yet have squeezed the busy festive period out of their staff and hung them out to dry.
I went there 3 times. Never my choice but I was with people who wanted to experience Dermot O'TV's restraunt (I shit you not).
Nothing wrong or particularly memorable about the food but all the staff were spot on everytime I went. Good luck to them (the staff, not the owners).

Bit of a shame really, I certainly thought it was better than English's, but there you go.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I must try Curry Leaf again, liked it first time. I seem to remember you claiming Chilli Pickle had gone downhill (which was verified by my last visit, but that's not enough for me to write it off just yet, as I've had numerous excellent meals there), but that might be my memory playing malicious tricks on me/you.

Oh yes, sort of. I've only been to Chilli Pickle once and it was very poor (and my wife agreed), though she's been since and enjoyed it :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll add that my best meal in the UK in 2015* was at The Pass out near Horsham. One star and a fantastic experience. I'd recommend anyone to try it. Push the boat out and stay over at South Lodge too.

We've been to Restaurant Tristan in central Horsham, another one star and it was decent enough. I think I've had better non-starred though.

I've made a note about The Pass. Thanks.

Odd that Horsham and surrounding area has two stars and Brighton zero.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Bit of a shame really, I certainly thought it was better than English's, but there you go.

Haven't been to English's for years, last few times my overall impression was that they were complacent. Two of the times I ended up in Fishy, Fishy it was a compromise, my dining partners wanted to go to English's but I refused because I've given up on the PLAICE and they refused to go to Riddle and Finns because they didn't want to share a table with strangers.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I've made a note about The Pass. Thanks.

Odd that Horsham and surrounding area has two stars and Brighton zero.
I went to Ockendon Manor on 22nd December and tried their tasting menu. I think it was 8 courses for about £85. Very good it was, and I believe they have a Michelin star.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Both excellent choices [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]... and I think it won't be long before we have another 'star' locally... The Wisborough, formerly The Bat and Ball, is also making a very good impression.

Although I am not sure what to make of it's 1655 club... all seems a bit OTT... http://www.thewisborough.com/the-1655-club/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I went a couple of times with the wife and kids and, to an extent, agree with both of you. The food was way better than English's and also way better than we had had at the more expensive, and now defunct, Due South. The staff were lovely. It was nothing to write home about though and stitching up your staff straight after Xmas ain't on.

The Griffin in Fletching is quite possibly the best I've eaten in for 5 years.

Heard some really bad reports about The Saltroom, anyone been as I really want to go and try for myself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Both excellent choices [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]... and I think it won't be long before we have another 'star' locally... The Wisborough, formerly The Bat and Ball, is also making a very good impression.

Although I am not sure what to make of it's 1655 club... all seems a bit OTT... http://www.thewisborough.com/the-1655-club/

The 1922 Commitee is out of date and out of touch. Dread to think what the 1655 is like.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Griffin in Fletching is quite possibly the best I've eaten in for 5 years.

Heard some really bad reports about The Saltroom, anyone been as I really want to go and try for myself.

I've also heard some very mixed reports though going by Instagram it seems that Tomer and Beram seem to like the place.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh yes, sort of. I've only been to Chilli Pickle once and it was very poor (and my wife agreed), though she's been since and enjoyed it :shrug:

I've been at least ten times. The last time was poor (apart from the starter), noticeably so. The only other time was when I ordered their dosa, which is too carb-heavy for me these days. All other times have been excellent. I have very fond memories of their oxtail madras, pork vindaloo and mixed grills. I've had about four takeaways from them too -- and they're better than other take aways round these parts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to Ockendon Manor on 22nd December and tried their tasting menu. I think it was 8 courses for about £85. Very good it was, and I believe they have a Michelin star.

It's a lovely restaurant in a lovely setting. Not been for about 5 years but I loved it. I treated the missus to dinner when she graduated and we stayed over in the manor as well. My favourite moment was actually sipping G&Ts in the garden on a lovely balmy evening.

There's a lot to be said for having a lovely meal, a few drinks in the bar, climbing up some stairs to bed to get up 8 hours later and go back down the stairs for a full English. Guardians were delivered to our breakfast table as well. Shame it was close season as a taxi to then take me to the AMEX would have been the perfect day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here