Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Foodie eeshe said:
Another good place I've found is SIX on Western Road, formerly Hove Kitchen, Barneys and Richards:

Review here: http://foodieeshe.com/review-six-brighton/ has anyone tried it yet?

Firstly, great blog. Makes me wish I was in Brighton more often to try all the places you recommend.

Secondly, Richards! What a blast from the past. Had completely forgotten about going there with my dad and stepmum when I was 16/17. I remember thinking I was cool as f**k....

Down for a week in the summer, will have to check SIX out as my stepmum still lives nearby.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Hawksmoor Seven Dials last night as mentioned a few pages back.

Really liked the slightly casual atmosphere but in a nice formal setting. Staff were very friendly and were quite happy for us to spend a bit longer in the bar before going to the table.

Nicely laid out menu with a good amount of starts, mainly fish or meat based and a good choice of steak at different sizes (300g-950g.) Excellent choice of sides that to be honest I felt were very fairly priced. I've been to some other steak restaurants UK or US where sides are easily £8+.

I started with the Tamworth ribs which were probably my highlight. Excellent short ribs covered in 5-spice and other slightly oriental flavours that had been caramelised onto the meat. Only 2 small bones and excellent value for money. Main was 400g Rib eye cooked Medium, which was cooked very well and still nicely red in the middle with the fat rendered down. Sides we had Mac & Cheese (Good), Spring Greens (Good), Mushrooms (OK, not my choice) & Triple Cooked Chips (VERY good) with stilton hollandaise to share which was very rich but nice over the chips.

Nice half bottle of Red too.

Total bill including a few drinks from the bar was £190 (inc service) which was as expected. Solid 8/10.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks Herr Tubthumper.

We've actually been and come back from Berlin, that was in February but I still haven't written about it!

Found it very hard to find a good, traditional German restaurant though. We found one Dutch/French place that was very good called, Dressler, but it would have been nice to get reccomendations. Can you reccommend any
where?

Excellent, I look forward to the read. I'd be interested to see if you checked out any of the burger places.

As for traditional German restaurants it depends what you mean. The crispy pork knuckle which one normally associates with Deutschland isn't really a Berlin thing; you can find them but they're typically in slightly touristy venues. Three places I frequent which do German food are

http://www.schwarzwaldstuben-berlin.com - this is a bistro type place serving up German fayre with a nod to Black Forest classics with a modern twist. Very much part of the Mitte scene and has a nice buzz about it especially now the weather is good.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187323-d1837132-Reviews-Boetzow_Privat-Berlin.html - this is a place similar to above but more traditional in look and food.

http://www.pratergarten.de/e/index.php - this place is primarily a 1930s beer garden where the locals go to escape the sun in the shade of the chestnut trees. As the sun sets the twinkly lights give it a lovely feel. The beer garden is only open April to October and serves up snacks like bretzel, wurst, spätzle. But there is a Gaststätte, wooden hall, open year round, serving up simple but excellent food. Germany celebrates a number of seasons and I always go to Prater for the asparagus season and the chanterelle season where they compose menus around these items. Xmas it's goose. A must for any visit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Solera

Following a disappointing film at Komedia (The Nice Guys, it's pish and too long) we ventured to Solera for some 'tapas' (it's really a slection of small plates if you don't move in between if you ask me).

We arrived at 7:00 and were met with a twenty minute wait to be served. I don't mind this if a place is busy as long as I'm furnished with a drink whilst I peruse the menu, we weren't. Point off I'm afraid. When we were finally served by the very friendly staff member things picked up. The house white wine (about 11 quid a bottle) we ordered is more than drinkable alongside all of the dishes we had, which included a decent plate of iberico ham, some decent if not spectacular meatballs, some very passable for England sauteed squid, some should probably have been better chorizo and two servings of utterly fantastic fried goat's cheese which we went back for more of in lieu of pudding. I'm sure there was probably more, we might even have had two lots of meatballs but the cheap wine was flowling freely and my memory is hazy.

To sum up the food is decent and you can drink cheaply there if you aren't precious about your wine. I can forgive the service being a bit slow on a saturday evening if the low staff costs keep this place as reasonably priced as it is. What was also very noticeable is that they seem to cater for everyone, which I guess is the Spanish way.

Give it a go, there's plenty to like about it.

7/10

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pho

Pho is bollocks. Don't go.

I can't be bothered to write a review up but they just threw fresh mint at everything and expected me not to realise the rest of their food was tasteless. And the beer is far too expensive. **** Pho.

My ready made chicken katsu bento box IU'm currently eating that cost £3.50 is better than the meal I was given last night.

(I only went because my missus and her pal like it).

2/10

Edit:

Just remembered their fried baby squid wasn't half bad.

3/10

Lush

Mods' Pet
Another vote for http://www.semolinabrighton.co.uk/

Choose from five different starters/five main courses/five puddings - so not for the "I know what I like and I like what I know" brigade. Each one tasty and beautifully cooked. Medium-sized portions so you will probably need all three courses.

Lovely small friendly atmosphere (you will need to book) and, being at the arse end of London Rd, it doesn't seem to attract the poncier kind of person.

Good value too - about £45 for three courses inc. wine.

8/10

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Pho

Pho is bollocks. Don't go.

I can't be bothered to write a review up but they just threw fresh mint at everything and expected me not to realise the rest of their food was tasteless. And the beer is far too expensive. **** Pho.

My ready made chicken katsu bento box IU'm currently eating that cost £3.50 is better than the meal I was given last night.

(I only went because my missus and her pal like it).

2/10

Edit:

Just remembered their fried baby squid wasn't half bad.

3/10

Apparently not memorable enough to make you think of it before :lolol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in London for one evening next week. Has anyone on here recently visited a decent casual, sit-down, non-chain restaurant (any cuisine) suitable for an informal and good value solo evening meal? Anywhere within reason in Greater London (extra points for Kings Cross area or Liverpool Street stations).

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
Another vote for http://www.semolinabrighton.co.uk/

Choose from five different starters/five main courses/five puddings - so not for the "I know what I like and I like what I know" brigade. Each one tasty and beautifully cooked. Medium-sized portions so you will probably need all three courses.

Lovely small friendly atmosphere (you will need to book) and, being at the arse end of London Rd, it doesn't seem to attract the poncier kind of person.

Good value too - about £45 for three courses inc. wine.

8/10

I've heard lots of people saying great things about Semolina - very keen to try it out!

There's also a couple of new reviews up on my food blog that might interest you guys too:

Wahaca
- Mexican Street Food - http://foodieeshe.com/wahaca-brighton-review/
I've rated as a 'must go' and I think it pips La Choza to the post when taking food & service into the mix.

Franco Manca - Sourdough Pizzeria - http://foodieeshe.com/new-food-joint-franco-manca/
I've rated just 'worth a visit' as menu is limited and it doesn't beat VIP for the best pizza in town in my opinion.

My blog has also had a massive redesign this week so it's hopefully much easier to search reviews by cusuine type now. Any constructive feedback on it most welcome.

Cheers guys,
Eshe

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I've heard lots of people saying great things about Semolina - very keen to try it out!

There's also a couple of new reviews up on my food blog that might interest you guys too:

Wahaca
- Mexican Street Food - http://foodieeshe.com/wahaca-brighton-review/
I've rated as a 'must go' and I think it pips La Choza to the post when taking food & service into the mix.

Franco Manca - Sourdough Pizzeria - http://foodieeshe.com/new-food-joint-franco-manca/
I've rated just 'worth a visit' as menu is limited and it doesn't beat VIP for the best pizza in town in my opinion.

My blog has also had a massive redesign this week so it's hopefully much easier to search reviews by cusuine type now. Any constructive feedback on it most welcome.

Cheers guys,
Eshe

Your website is fricking delicious nice job :thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Wahaca Brighton yesterday, surprised how big it was. Much better use of space than whatever was there before. Was very busy about 1.30pm.

I've been to Wahaca 10+ times, regularly when working in London but haven't been for 12 months or so.

Menu seems to have grown a bit, normally have a Burrito but decided to have 3 smaller dishes. Chorizo & Cheese tacos (8/10), Crab & Shrimp Taquitos (7/10) & Chicken and Avocado something I've forgotten. Also had nibbles of the pork scratching a & guacamole (4/10) - for £5 I want more than 8.

Missus had a burrito too which she was happy with. Service was good.

I've always enjoyed but La Choza but have found the service pretty poor a lot of the time. Food is probably slightly better quality, but a smaller menu.

Wahaca still seem to have the quality/price spot on and food is very good for a chain. Menu keen to point out a lot of meat is UK sourced which gets a thumbs up from me. Realistically I'd be happy eating at both as a Mexican food fan.

Solid 8/10 for me in terms of being a chain restaurant.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Sportsman - Seasalter
Part owned the Midfield General of Skint fame, this place recently was gastropub of the year and not hard to see why. odd location just outside of Whitstable but the food and service were excellent. 7 course tasting menu for 60 quid including a remarkably cooked piece of venison and a crab dish which was so subtle is almost hurt. Great selection of wines with a picpoul at 19 quid and Malbec at 22 which is more than fair pricing. Recommended if you are out that way, though there is a 3 month waiting list for a table on Saturday evening.

The Sportsman has just been voted Restaurant of the Year.

This weekend sees a trip to Sabai on Friday and then the new Planet India lcation on Saturday.

Me? Eat out too much? WHY THE **** NOT!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Duende; Maiden Lane, Covent Garden. Spanish/Tapas.

A one hour pre-opera dinner. Until this visit, I had considered Opera Tavern as the best tapas place in the west end. Recently, however, I've felt that they've been resting on their laurels and getting somewhat boring, though the pork and foie gras burger and the pig's ears remain stunning. Now though I have somewhere else to go if tapas is what tickles my fancy.

Duende is fairly recently opened (3 months?), and is pretty much opposite Rules (the provider of the best bread and butter pudding I've ever eaten, and that includes my Nana's). It's very small and is already pretty much bookings-only. We had tiger prawns wrapped in deep fried potato straw with a chilli sauce; Gazpacho; poached duck egg with potato and black truffle; octopus with vermicelli; and grilled lamb chops; a very fine bottle of Albarino.

Every dish was tight, precise, modern and brilliantly cooked. The lamb chops, a staple of foo foo tapas places, were simply the best I've had anywhere. We ate and drank well for £70ph. Definitely worth a visit.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Visited Padstow recently and WHISKED Mrs Hiney to The Journeyman Restaurant in St Issey

http://www.journeymanrestaurant.co.uk/

Hands down the best curry I have EVER had.

It's tiny (24 covers) and off down a small country lane but the food is superb.

If you are down that way and fancy something other than a pasty, get involved.

:thumbsup:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Latinoamerica

First visit and Mrs Hut for company as youngest in Greece after finishing A levels, eldest awol as usual Friday night as pay day and a treat from the off, the venerable Bruno just leaving - whahay

Squid and Chorizo sausage starters and steak for mains and very good as well all washed down with a red Sauvignon.

Definitely on the return list.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This weekend I actually ate out THREE times, I’ll drip feed my reviews through. We’ll start with Friday evening at Sabai.

I’m not a fan of Thai food personally, but I put that down to the fact that Brighton has never really gone for it but I think Sabai is EXCELLENT.

I shared hors d'oeuvres which comprised of some wickedly bouncy fishcakes, some excellent crispy ‘seaweed’ (kale in this instance), some spring rolls and some chicken satay which I actually don’t like at all eanywhere because they’re always shit. There was something else but I can’t remember what.

Main course was a delightful peiece of cooking. Steamed seafood curry. The balance of this dish was superb and it wasn’t too HOT which is something I cannot stand in Thai food. They might like their scoville units in the trillions in Thailand but I’m ENGLISH and if you can turn the heat down then I’m YOURS. The lemongrass was there but hiding in the background just how I like it and the seafood was generous. Big fan.

Wine is decent.

All in all I like Sabai a lot but it isn’t cheap. If Thai is your thing definitely go but I might suggest going in for a set lunch (http://www.sabaibrighton.co.uk/afternoon-special/) to see what I mean as the dinner bill will be north of 50 quid a head with drinks.

No pudding was taken as we retired to Valentinos for Daquiris instead (7/10) because I’m balling out of control at the moment and also why shouldn’t I.

8/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here