Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2015

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Finally made it to The Urchin this weekend. I love shellfish and craft beer so sounded like heaven.

Great sized place with huge selection of bottled craft beers, ales & stouts from across the globe.

Started with a Flying Dog APA and soft shell crab. I find its rare to get soft shell crab here of which I am a fan. Last time I did was at the Chinese Hutong in the Shard at about £20 a plate ! The batter/coating was very tasty, and good portion as a starter.

Up next was a Curios IPA from Kent, I've had this before at the Chilli pickle, so knew what to expect. Very sharp and slightly fizzy IPA. For main I had scallops, bacon & pea purée. Again very tasty, 6 Scollops perfectly cooked. Missus had Singapore prawns which had a lovely sauce. We shared some fries & a very nice tomato salad with the mains.

Did not have room for cheese board, but did have a very peculiar Neapolitan (yes that spelling) Stout from a brewery in the U.S. I forget. The waitress warned me it wouldn't taste like I expect, but I did in fact get all 3 flavours in the stout. Very nice it was too.

Very good, 8/10. Would recommend for a casual-smart ish lunch!

Funnily enough we were there last night as well. Was just as good as our first visit - had the soft shell crab and it was lovely, and the prawns which came with ana amazing Mexican habanero sauce. Unlike you I didn't try the beers - not that bothered about bottled beer and find that The Urchin's prices on them are stupidly high (why would anyone pay nearly £5 for a 330ml bottle on Punk IPA?). You have made me more interested to actually look at the list and try some of the more interesting ones though!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Funnily enough we were there last night as well. Was just as good as our first visit - had the soft shell crab and it was lovely, and the prawns which came with ana amazing Mexican habanero sauce. Unlike you I didn't try the beers - not that bothered about bottled beer and find that The Urchin's prices on them are stupidly high (why would anyone pay nearly £5 for a 330ml bottle on Punk IPA?). You have made me more interested to actually look at the list and try some of the more interesting ones though!

I think you are right. You wouldn't, but to go with a meal, I can let the prices slide, especially for properly imported craft beer!

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Went to the crescent Rd cafe in Worthing last month.

Has to be the best meal I've ever had. Not too expensive and the staff are brilliant. Highly recommended.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Went to the crescent Rd cafe in Worthing last month.

Has to be the best meal I've ever had. Not too expensive and the staff are brilliant. Highly recommended.

It's a real gem - we need to go back. It's only because it's on a side road in sleepy Worthing that the prices are what they are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's a real gem - we need to go back. It's only because it's on a side road in sleepy Worthing that the prices are what they are.

Wasnt it said on here a some months ago that it was either closing or the owners retiring? Is it still the same owners as has been for a few years.?

Jul 7, 2003
Wasnt it said on here a some months ago that it was either closing or the owners retiring? Is it still the same owners as has been for a few years.?

Wrong restaurant Brian - It is La Difference where the owners are retiring. Crescent Road Café is a few doors down and the guy is a very good new chef. Was hoping to visit shortly myself having heard many good things.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I went to the coal shed last night. Decent steak wine & cocktails

A bit pricey but a nice night out..

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
China Palace, Worthing last night - good price and very acceptable Chinese food.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
LatinoAmerica in Church Street, Hove, Argentinian restaurant.

Food was great. Service excellent, & felt there was a lovely ambience (God, I hate myself for using a word like "ambience") around the place. Quite pricey I guess, but I felt it was value for what you were getting. There's some lovely stuff on their menus. And Leo Ulloa eats there when he's in town.

No downside :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wrong restaurant Brian - It is La Difference where the owners are retiring. Crescent Road Café is a few doors down and the guy is a very good new chef. Was hoping to visit shortly myself having heard many good things.

Didnt realise there was 2 restaurants opposite the Salvation Army or is this the one that skme years ago was a Portugese Restaurant? Since my mum passed away I havent been down town in Worthing just visit relatives and come home.

Jul 7, 2003
Didnt realise there was 2 restaurants opposite the Salvation Army or is this the one that skme years ago was a Portugese Restaurant? Since my mum passed away I havent been down town in Worthing just visit relatives and come home.

Think you might be right about it being a Portuguese restaurant a while back.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went for a coffee at Perch on Lancing Beach Green yesterday on the way home from Brighton.

Looks nice, nicely decorated, good space. Half a cafe, other half more restauranty.

Queued up, ordered a coffee, was told to take a seat and they bring it over. Bit odd but OK.

30 minutes passed, still no coffee despite chasing twice. Finally (forcefully) asked where it was or I want a refund, and it turned up. Coffee served in one size, in a tea cup making it very expensive.

0/10. Expensive coffee, poor service, poor system.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
LatinoAmerica in Church Street, Hove, Argentinian restaurant.

Food was great. Service excellent, & felt there was a lovely ambience (God, I hate myself for using a word like "ambience") around the place. Quite pricey I guess, but I felt it was value for what you were getting. There's some lovely stuff on their menus. And Leo Ulloa eats there when he's in town.

No downside :thumbsup:

Ambience - Atmosphere for posh people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here