Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Recent outings :

Terre a Terre - OK, nice food but too 'rich' for my liking. Can't put my finger on it but I was full but not full. Fantastic flavours for veggie food though - 6/10
Sini - had the Lamb main - wow - tonnes of meat with veg. Girlfriend had the seafood stew and that was fantastic. 9/10

I really don't like Terre a Terre. There's just too much going on. I want a bit of definition when eating, and think that an Italian 'secondi' or St John's three things on a plate works best for me. Asian food excepted from this rule.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really don't like Terre a Terre. There's just too much going on. I want a bit of definition when eating, and think that an Italian 'secondi' or St John's three things on a plate works best for me. Asian food excepted from this rule.

I really used to like it about a decade ago. The meals were a bit "noisy" at times but the way they combined textures was interesting to me as I was new to this type of vegetarian cooking. I took a pause for a year and went back and couldn't believe how unimaginative the menu was and how stodgy everything had become. Not been back since.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Can I mention the Wok Inn, Halland (on the road from Ringmer to Halland). Went other evening, £23 all you can eat but the food is worth the money. They serve you individual dishes rather than a big plate in the centre. And you can reorder as much as you like, they don't frown at you. The place was half full, not bad for a Thursday and being in the middle of nowhere. Oh, and the Harveys was one of the best I've drunk.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
24 st georges last night been wanting to go for ages

Very impressed indeed, as good a meal as had in Brighton for good few meals, food almost gingerman norfolk square standard and atmos, service, environment fantastic

not cheap but always happy to pay when its special

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Four of us to The Gingerman for a birthday meal last night. As good as ever. It feels a bit naff recommending it as it's a bit like saying Sgt Peppers is an album you should listen to or "that Shakespeare bloke could write a play couldn't he" and yet it has to be said it's been consistently good for at least the fifteen years I've known about it. The winter menu is incredibly light thanks to clever use of vegetables, service and wine were impeccable and I haven't had a better chocolate souffle anywhere else in the world. Still the best in Brighton for me.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Had to take son number 2 to Crawley on Friday night for a basketball game. Me and Mrs Rolls decided to go get a curry rather than spend all Friday night sitting in a school gym. So with no more research than nearest Indian restaurant, phone and book.

Thank you Crawley. Zari in Isfield is bloody fantastic. Top notch food, excellent service and a reasonable price from a neighbourhood Indian.

Chatting to the owner he regularly eats at the best Indian restaurants in London and on the coast and is constantly looking for ideas to improve his restaurant - recommended.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Just got back from Baloos on the Wheatsheaf road.
Fantastic roast beef lunch with apple & cinnamon crumble for pud.
Parsnip chips and beetroot were awesome.
£14.50 for two courses.
Will definitely be going back soon.

Jul 7, 2003
Had to take son number 2 to Crawley on Friday night for a basketball game. Me and Mrs Rolls decided to go get a curry rather than spend all Friday night sitting in a school gym.

Does number 2 son play for Worthing D&D?

Jul 7, 2003
Some much older friends of our were celebrating a 70th birthday last night so took a group of us out to the Old Tollgate at Bramber.

Must be at least 15 years since I was last there for a family meal and it hasn't changed much. Didn't bother with the starters as it was mainly cold cuts and seafood. Main roast dinner was good - the beef I had was very tasty and others had the turkey and gammon which were also said to be very nice - but they are a little tight on the portions etc compared with the old days and you have to ask to ensure you get plenty of spuds. The puddings were okay but not a patch on the old days but nice enough.

As someone in my mid-forties, I was one of the younger people in there last night and it seems to be very popular with the more mature crowd. I'm not a great fan of carveries but this was okay albeit not somewhere I would rush back to.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Four of us to The Gingerman for a birthday meal last night. As good as ever. It feels a bit naff recommending it as it's a bit like saying Sgt Peppers is an album you should listen to or "that Shakespeare bloke could write a play couldn't he" and yet it has to be said it's been consistently good for at least the fifteen years I've known about it. The winter menu is incredibly light thanks to clever use of vegetables, service and wine were impeccable and I haven't had a better chocolate souffle anywhere else in the world. Still the best in Brighton for me.

word to all of that

been going for 13 years, still the daddy yet still amazes me how many people dont know of it or just know pig, dog etc

service and bread unreal

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
New Noodle place by Station called Sunoso.

Rice dishes aka Donburi's are great. Noodles I felt a bit bland.

Really want these guys to do well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some much older friends of our were celebrating a 70th birthday last night so took a group of us out to the Old Tollgate at Bramber.

Must be at least 15 years since I was last there for a family meal and it hasn't changed much. Didn't bother with the starters as it was mainly cold cuts and seafood. Main roast dinner was good - the beef I had was very tasty and others had the turkey and gammon which were also said to be very nice - but they are a little tight on the portions etc compared with the old days and you have to ask to ensure you get plenty of spuds. The puddings were okay but not a patch on the old days but nice enough.

As someone in my mid-forties, I was one of the younger people in there last night and it seems to be very popular with the more mature crowd. I'm not a great fan of carveries but this was okay albeit not somewhere I would rush back to.

Lots of blue rinser's arriving and departing in their 4x4's at lunchtimes. That's where their earnings are.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Nooba
DLF Cyber City, Gurgaon 122022, India

Had lunch here today. Good chinese food in a nice atmosphere 8/10- not many of you will probably venture to it though!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had dinner with [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] at 68 Degrees last night. Very enjoyable meal (and company). As has been previously mentioned by another poster it's not the setting for a quiet romantic meal but its a fantastic buzzy place for a good chin-wag with a mate and hopefully it will give this side of the Brighton dining scene the challenge I feel it needs.

There has been talk of a Michelin star but I feel it still has some way to go.

My tip is to have a pre-meal cocktail in Hotel Du Vin.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Had dinner with [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] at 68 Degrees last night. Very enjoyable meal (and company). As has been previously mentioned by another poster it's not the setting for a quiet romantic meal but its a fantastic buzzy place for a good chin-wag with a mate and hopefully it will give this side of the Brighton dining scene the challenge I feel it needs.

There has been talk of a Michelin star but I feel it still has some way to go.

Loathe to disagree with you but this place (actually 64 degrees , the temp at which to cook an egg) is miles off a Michelin star. The intention is there and you can see what he is trying to do but he lacks both the skill and the palate to bring it off. The Mushroom, celeriac, egg, truffle is the perfect example of why it doesn't work properly. A cumbersome dish in which the delicate mushrooms are completely beaten up buy the large, brutish chunk of celeriac. The best dish, the short rib, is merely 48 hrs in a waterbath , a glaze and ten mins in the oven. The Pumpkin, apple, yoghurt, nut is a shocker, how that got on a menu is a mystery. Style over substance, making this, sadly, ideal for Brighton.

If you want to see this sort of thing done properly try Menu Gordon Jones in Bath or, even better, the outstanding TImberyard in Edinburgh. They will be showered in accolades shortly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Loathe to disagree with you but this place (actually 64 degrees , the temp at which to cook an egg) is miles off a Michelin star. The intention is there and you can see what he is trying to do but he lacks both the skill and the palate to bring it off. The Mushroom, celeriac, egg, truffle is the perfect example of why it doesn't work properly. A cumbersome dish in which the delicate mushrooms are completely beaten up buy the large, brutish chunk of celeriac. The best dish, the short rib, is merely 48 hrs in a waterbath , a glaze and ten mins in the oven. The Pumpkin, apple, yoghurt, nut is a shocker, how that got on a menu is a mystery. Style over substance, making this, sadly, ideal for Brighton.

If you want to see this sort of thing done properly try Menu Gordon Jones in Bath or, even better, the outstanding TImberyard in Edinburgh. They will be showered in accolades shortly.

Well hello Jay Rayner :) :wave:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Doh, yeah, it's 64 Degrees. I've never been good with numbers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here