Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reply from Martin Perry re tonight's Fans Forum

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Thought I'd share this with everyone. I sent this email to MP

Martin

I would hope mine is one of a deluge of emails filling up your inbox from fellow fans that were listening to the fans forum tonight on the radio. I can only say that I feel deeply embarrassed that a certain few of my fellow fans can be so short sighted and speak the way they did tonight.

Please realise that the vast majority of the fans have nothing but gratitude to you, Tony B and Dick Knight for delivering us a permanent home and
what a place it is. I know there are always teething issues but some people
are only concerned about themselves!!!!! What I heard tonight made my
blood boil and I thought you held you calmness a lot better then I would of
done!
Having moved to Southampton just before we lost the Goldstone and having
to travel to a tin pot stadium to get rained on twice a month, I can honestly
say I have never been more excited to be a BHA fan (even in the Div 1/cup
final years), for the first time in over 15 years I have a season ticket and
can't wait too experience the Amex for first time on Saturday!
Keep up the good work and as the saying goes "don't let the buggers get
you down"

I got this reply from him

Hi David

Thank you very much for your e-mail and your very kind words. *They are much appreciated. *It is disappointing after all the effort we have put in to hear these sorts of comments but I am sure when you come on Saturday you will be blown away by the stadium - I am very proud of what we have achieved.

Thank you for taking the time and the trouble to write to me - I know that what you have said is shared by thousands of Brighton fans

Martin

What a top fella!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
He did get a tad aggressive though! It doesn't affect me but maybe the club could have handled their response to the disabled in a more organised way. Good of him to reply though.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
I'm glad he agrees that what they said was drivel. Top man!

Edit: maybe not what they said but the timing and tone of it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He did get a tad aggressive though! It doesn't affect me but maybe the club could have handled their response to the disabled in a more organised way. Good of him to reply though.
It didn't help that he called able bodied people 'normal fans' One person who had a disability issue got very upset with him over that. He could have worded that a lot more diplomatically.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
We've only got to remind ourselves that we now have around 18,000 season tickets holders. The MAJORITY have voted with their feet (and their pockets). The stadium is amazing. I understand some have genuine concerns about the way the disabled issue has been handled - fair play. However, some people aren't happy unless they are moaning and we've always had this minority of moaners. I remember a bloke on the East Terrace at the Goldstone who, even when the Albion were playing well and winning, would moan at every opportunity. He genuinely thought I was mad to point out to him that if he put as much effort into supporting the team as he did in moaning about them, it might actually help to spur them on. He just couldn't see it.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Bloody hell, this thread turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I echo your sentiments, sir. I still expect MP to take a lot of stick about the "ordinary" comment, presumably from people who have never slightly misworded anything in their lives. His was a far lesser offence than casually accusing someone of discrimination. He's not particularly articulate and the harrumph of his backlash against the insinuation was a bit painful, but I would hate for anything to spoil this week for him. Although I do hope there are easier ways than the stairs for some people to get to the west stand upper. I'm not going to enjoy that climb on a hangover.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Be careful lumping those disabled fans with genuine concerns into the same group as those, able bodied supporters who were making observations about catering, ticket allocations etc. Theirs are not the same issues and i would concur that these issues are relatively trivial. With respect to disabled fans, a very small and equally loyal group, many still don't know how or even if they can attend this Saturday despite what might have been said publically- imagine that if the same situation was occurring for 18k able bodied fans with 4 days to go! Anyway mp has promised to meet next week with disabled representatives to crack through the remaining issues. I guess if your able bodied you wouldn't "get it" so best leave it to those who do understand the issues / can view objectively. For what it's worth, I thought forums were there to provide a platform to discuss issues. The party is saturday and disabled fans will hopefully be able to enjoy every bit as much. They've waited just as long!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I suspect he will have replied to everyone who has e-mailed him tonight individually. I hope it helps to make him feel vindicated as he deserves to be.
He isn't, I feel, an easy man and doesn't accept even vaild criticism well but tonight was OTT without doubt and even the few good points were badly promoted.
Andy Naylor made a good point tonight suggesting separate forums for on-field and off-field matters. I know which one I will want to listen to :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think this is what I find odd. Why wasn't the forum structured into several parts?

Eg playing staff, stadium, training facilities, general football or something.

The problem with a free for all is you don't always get a good balance.

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
I have to take issue with some of the comments on here regarding "the problems of the disabled fans" - they are fans who like other fans have supported the club at the Goldstone, traveled to Gillingham, sat at the Withdean (in just as terrible conditions as everyone else), fought the fight to save the club and undertaken just as much protesting as able bodied fans.

While I thank MP for the job he has done for the club and have defended his reputation in the past I take no pleasure in having to say regarding the disabled supporters he has got it wrong.

Having purchased a season ticket in the West Stand Lower I attended the SSC match. After entering the West Stand Lower no one could direct me on how, in my wheelchair, I could get to my seat. If it had not been for the Stand Manager and some really dedicated Stewards I would have gone home and seriously considered handing back my season ticket.

To get to my seat I had to leave the West Stand and enter the ground by the North Stand - the only facilities available to me were in the North Stand.
I was unable to meet up with friends/family at half time and this was one of the reasons I choose to sit in the West Stand. I have contacted the club and hopefully will reach a mutually agreeable solution.

On the Saturday morning I had to contact the club regarding parking arrangements - this was resolved on a temporary basis. Going forward I am hoping for a satisfactory arrangement, which will cost me at least £180 - if I was able bodied I would only have to pay £30 to use the park and ride, but I do not have that option.

I am only one person and I have highlighted problems relating to myself - if every disabled fan is encountering similar problems how many points does MP need to ensure are resolved? Has he ever sat in a wheelchair and encountered the reality of trying to get around?

Disabled supporters are not "moaning" as has been said on here they have genuine problems that need to be resolved. BODS have unpaid people doing thier best to work with the club to help resolve and stop problems, they have had dialogue with the club on an ongoing basis for a long time. MP seems to have forgotten having said a lot of things at those meeetings, BODS have documentation regarding those meetings.

I am sure every disabled supporter has dreamt of the stadium, of seeing the team run out at the AMEX, just the same as everyone else but I for one feel that these problems has the shine and pleasure out of it for me which is sad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Poor from Perry, that he got flustered and annoyee by it. He should have taken the customer comments on board and got annoyed behind closed doors.

This. I guess his approach works on a building site, but he lacks certain skills to front the club. Still, at least he wasn't doing his Bruce Forsyth impressions or those dubious gags about Asians tonight.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I am sure every disabled supporter has dreamt of the stadium, of seeing the team run out at the AMEX, just the same as everyone else but I for one feel that these problems has the shine and pleasure out of it for me which is sad.

To me this is very sad, it seems that the club have reneged on certain issues and that is frankly terrible. For me this all points towards the club being over confident, almost blaise that they would get all the extra parking that they originally anticipated, this in turn has left the club up a blind alley. I genuinely hope that you and any other Albion fan that have been messed about recently are dealt with in an appropriate manner.

To me this is very sad, it seems that the club have reneged on certain issues and that is frankly terrible. For me this all points towards the club being over confident, almost blaise that they would get all the extra parking that they originally anticipated, this in turn has left the club up a blind alley. I genuinely hope that you and any other Albion fan that have been messed about recently are dealt with in an appropriate manner.

What extra parking? The club has obtained the number of spaces required in the stadium planning consent and has now decided to:
1) Charge for disabled spaces despite having maintained until recent weeks that they would be free.
2) Move the 1901 parking spaces (650!) from Sussex Univ to Bennett's Field and then claiming that there's now insufficient spaces for disabled attendees adjacent to the stadium.
3) Said that it's now looking to provide additional "disabled" spaces at Sussex University.

I would describe the Club's behaviour as delberate.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I too sent a note to MP last night, and got a very nice reply. It's unfortunate if the club has not addressed the facilities for disabled fans in the same professional way that they seem to have dealt with absolutely everything else. However, no-one is EVER perfect. Give the club time to put it right, and I'm sure they will. After all, they have proved time and again, with the Albion in the Community project, that they care very much for the less fortunate members of the public.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think he is a man who has spent 14 years fighting with the club to get this new stadium only to get complaints about it in the first public forum. Although I agree on the issue of disabled parking, I think for it to take up nearly a third of the fans forum, along with other long-winded complaints meant that we heard more from MP than TB and GP.

MP's reaction wasn't great but I don't think he (or anyone else) was expecting the level of negativity that appeared during that middle 25 minute period.

He mis-worded a response and apologised, big deal. Does this invalidate all the work he has done for the club? No.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Disabled issues did not take up a third of the forum! Time the q&a if you have to and mark yourself down for such poor sensationalism jbrizzle! Sorry you don't think people who took time and trouble to attend in order to ask their questions but you know the answer to that-you could have gone along and asked something yourself?!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I too sent a note to MP last night, and got a very nice reply. It's unfortunate if the club has not addressed the facilities for disabled fans in the same professional way that they seem to have dealt with absolutely everything else. However, no-one is EVER perfect. Give the club time to put it right, and I'm sure they will. After all, they have proved time and again, with the Albion in the Community project, that they care very much for the less fortunate members of the public.
indeed and the mp has said he will now attend go the disabled issues that are worrying so many of these vulnerable fans with 4 days left before the first biggy. It's injury time stuff though which is why it's so emotive as you'll appreciate!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have to take issue with some of the comments on here regarding "the problems of the disabled fans" - they are fans who like other fans have supported the club at the Goldstone, traveled to Gillingham, sat at the Withdean (in just as terrible conditions as everyone else), fought the fight to save the club and undertaken just as much protesting as able bodied fans.

While I thank MP for the job he has done for the club and have defended his reputation in the past I take no pleasure in having to say regarding the disabled supporters he has got it wrong.

Having purchased a season ticket in the West Stand Lower I attended the SSC match. After entering the West Stand Lower no one could direct me on how, in my wheelchair, I could get to my seat. If it had not been for the Stand Manager and some really dedicated Stewards I would have gone home and seriously considered handing back my season ticket.

To get to my seat I had to leave the West Stand and enter the ground by the North Stand - the only facilities available to me were in the North Stand.
I was unable to meet up with friends/family at half time and this was one of the reasons I choose to sit in the West Stand. I have contacted the club and hopefully will reach a mutually agreeable solution.

On the Saturday morning I had to contact the club regarding parking arrangements - this was resolved on a temporary basis. Going forward I am hoping for a satisfactory arrangement, which will cost me at least £180 - if I was able bodied I would only have to pay £30 to use the park and ride, but I do not have that option.

I am only one person and I have highlighted problems relating to myself - if every disabled fan is encountering similar problems how many points does MP need to ensure are resolved? Has he ever sat in a wheelchair and encountered the reality of trying to get around?

Disabled supporters are not "moaning" as has been said on here they have genuine problems that need to be resolved. BODS have unpaid people doing thier best to work with the club to help resolve and stop problems, they have had dialogue with the club on an ongoing basis for a long time. MP seems to have forgotten having said a lot of things at those meeetings, BODS have documentation regarding those meetings.

So, in summary, you encountered problems at a ramp-up event, the club helped you on the day, you have a means of ongoing dialogue with the club and are confident of getting them resolved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here