Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Replacing the stolen van

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
As I've posted elsewhere we had our mini van stolen on Monday and we have not heard a dicky bird. I know we haven't got any insurance money yet but we need a replacement and are going to look at one tomorrow.

Am I being too hasty?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As I've posted elsewhere we had our mini van stolen on Monday and we have not heard a dicky bird. I know we haven't got any insurance money yet but we need a replacement and are going to look at one tomorrow.

Am I being too hasty?

Assuming it is for your business then you can't trade without it so do you have much choice in the matter.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Assuming it is for your business then you can't trade without it so do you have much choice in the matter.
Luckily it's not for our business but it's the only vehicle we have for moving our doggies around and they get so stressy when they haven't been to the park for a run.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Luckily it's not for our business but it's the only vehicle we have for moving our doggies around and they get so stressy when they haven't been to the park for a run.

So having been away all week I assume it has been stolen and not recovered so at what point does your insurance pay out ?

I have only ever had one large pay out when a car decided to ram me at 40 MPH and wrote of the car and we good a very good payment which I suspect was more to do with it not being our fault.

Also I was breathalised as well which I thought was harsh as it was not my fault but I believe it is the law.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
So having been away all week I assume it has been stolen and not recovered so at what point does your insurance pay out ?
I know it is an obvious question I should have asked but it didn't occur to me.

I think I am really wondering at what point do I admit it's not coming back?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I know it is an obvious question I should have asked but it didn't occur to me.

I think I am really wondering at what point do I admit it's not coming back?

I would check first if I was you prior to just purchasing another one. Doesn't your insurance provide a hire car for the duration when the old one is missing ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I knew I should have come on here earlier. I hadn't thought to ask that either!

Well you know what to do first thing tomorrow and free consultancy :lolol::lolol:

Harley S

Aug 31, 2008

Are you missing them ?

Didn't they bark & scare the thieves off ?? :D:D:D:thumbsup:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Not really a laughing matter is it :tosser:

It's OK. We are heartbroken about the van but I am prepared to see the funny sides too. Normally the dogs only have to hear the van's exhaust and they start running round thinking it's time to go out. Whether it was because we were both at home they ignored it I don't know. They're still useless!

Harley S

Aug 31, 2008
It's OK. We are heartbroken about the van but I am prepared to see the funny sides too. Normally the dogs only have to hear the van's exhaust and they start running round thinking it's time to go out. Whether it was because we were both at home they ignored it I don't know. They're still useless!

Similar thing happened to me - hurts at first but you soon forget. It's only metal & it can be easily replaced.

Only trying to put a smile on your face mate ! :thumbsup:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

eh? You drive your dogs to the park for a walk? Am I the only one that thinks that sounds wrong?

I agree with Beachy on the insurance front - check what you're entitled to before you fork out on a new one....You never know what you've been paying them to stump up for!

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
eh? You drive your dogs to the park for a walk? Am I the only one that thinks that sounds wrong?
I know. But the Newfoundland gets tired walking the mile to the park. This way he can get a stroll round while the others run about chasing a ball. The Springer does get walked to the park because I can't tire him out!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
My car was written off in a crash at the end of November 2007, it was parked up overnight, when someone crashed into it, the person responsible was caught, was insured and yet i am still awaiting a pay out nearly a year later.

It should have been a very straight forward pay out but it has got to the stage where i have involved the Ombudsman, and now also threatening court action for my money!!

Insurance companies are very quick to take your money but take an age to pay anything out, often putting any obsticle they can in the way to avoid paying out quickly.

Don't expect a quick payout - just keep badgering them though, asking them what they are doing, have done and how quickly they will payout.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My car was written off in a crash at the end of November 2007, it was parked up overnight, when someone crashed into it, the person responsible was caught, was insured and yet i am still awaiting a pay out nearly a year later.

It should have been a very straight forward pay out but it has got to the stage where i have involved the Ombudsman, and now also threatening court action for my money!!

Insurance companies are very quick to take your money but take an age to pay anything out, often putting any obsticle they can in the way to avoid paying out quickly.

Don't expect a quick payout - just keep badgering them though, asking them what they are doing, have done and how quickly they will payout.

Is it your insurer that is not paying or the insurers of the other party? If you are waiting for the third party insurers, why didn't you get your insurers to pay for the write off?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would check first if I was you prior to just purchasing another one. Doesn't your insurance provide a hire car for the duration when the old one is missing ?

Quite right. Your policy will probably only pay the market value of the stolen vehicle less your excess and then probably not for 4-6 weeks to make sure it doesn't turn up somewhere.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Is it your insurer that is not paying or the insurers of the other party? If you are waiting for the third party insurers, why didn't you get your insurers to pay for the write off?

It's the other parties insurance that arn't paying up, I had a third party fire and theft policy, and my claim is through the legal cover i had on my policy.

The other parties insurance, despite agreeing to pay out in July, and collecting my written off car, then claimed that the vehicle was stolen, and no one was ever caught - so my insurers were trying to get me to claim against the uninsured losses bureau

That is despite the owner of the vehicle being arrested, pleading guilty and being sentanced for his part in the crash, and his insurance were told this months ago. - they are now claiming that the person who crashed into my car was not their insured - but that is different to what i am being told by the Police, and also that the driver in the crash didn't get done for the theft of the car that hit me.

All I can say is i know now why so many claims are seen as uninsured losses, (insurance companies trying every trick to not pay out, and in this case, my insurers not disputing their claim despite proof that they are wrong)
And also the extra costs incurred while they drag out something that should have been settled within a month in my opinion, as it was straight forward what happened and who was at fault!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here