[NSC] Remembering Lord Bracknell

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of the great tragedies of the past few years is that some of the people who did the most to get us where we are never saw the Amex stage Premier League football.

Ed Bassford, Roy Chuter, Sarah Watts, Paul Whelch.

We are not worthy.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
One of the great tragedies of the past few years is that some of the people who did the most to get us where we are never saw the Amex stage Premier League football.

Ed Bassford, Roy Chuter, Sarah Watts, Paul Whelch.

We are not worthy.

Time flies....can hardly believe Sarah died four and a half years ago !! (jan 2015)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Glass raised to Ed, only really knew him and Ros from the early REMF era. . . Also a nod to Roy, who didn't do a bad job at the Duke in Shoreham and was a big fan of our blues band. . .we had more than football and beer in common.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
little things ...................... who else looks to see how Newport County are getting on????

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would have quit the old board (with the likes of FG all over it) were it not for the kindly Ed (and Roz) and their gentle resiliance and comradeship (with somone they would never likely meet in the flesh, though we did eventually), if gentle resiliance is a thing (if it wasn't, it is now). There are other lovely people on NSC of a similar ilk, some of whom I have met and others not. I don't have the restraint, wit or judgement to deal with things the way Ed did, and I'm glad he did. The world is all the better for it. :bowdown:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
A great man, and top contributer on here.

The feeling at the time was that he was a tremendous loss, with his wise words and calm dissection of an issue being very hard to place. 2 years on, and this place is the still the worse for his loss. You just knew that if Lord B disagreed with you, it was probably time to take another look at what you said. With others we just fire back with ever more entrenched views, but with him you just stepped back and thought "ok, maybe that needs another look."

Top man, as highly respected as anyone we've had on here, and still remains a great loss to this place. In the days when DK was talking about fan representation on the board, Lord B, looked the obvious candidate.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can only echo what everyone else has said. A great loss, and if honours were really given to people who deserved them he would have been Sir Ed Bassford long before his death - although he would have probably refused it!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I wholeheartedly support all the tributes and comments on this thread. Didn't know the man personally but I do know all about what he did for our club and he was a most insightful contributor to these forums.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ed was a great Man. I still remember vividly when he destroyed Ann de Vechi at the Lewes public enquiry. It was quite extraordinary. He is a large part in how we got Falmer and will always be held in legendary status

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ed was great company, always had a mischievous twinkle in his eye and a string of anecdotes about the Albion that were astounding and can never be repeated on NSC.

He also fought the fascists in Spain.

What a guy.

Sadly gone, never forgotten, always missed. RIP Ed.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
A very passionate football fan and I was delighted for him when Newport got back into the football league. I'm sure he was watching their FA cup exploits against Spurs, Leicester and Manchester City quite recently from above.

Still very sadly missed. Lord Bracknell, you were a legend on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports